• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

42 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I have voles.  Voles on poles.  Voles with moles.  Voles on bowls.  And voles in holes.   My yard is full of voles voles voles voles.

Those things are the worst!! They can ruin a yard! Need a dog or some cats! I think now is the correct time to put out pre emergent for summer weeds!

34 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

I can't offer much in the form of weather knowledge but I did go to NC state for agriculture and worked in the turf industry for 7 years, so if you have any questions or concerns I am always willing to help.

Where is the best place in N C to send a soil sample for reasonably quick results ?

11 minutes ago, southernskimmer said:

Your county should have a NC Agriculture extension office. You can take them there. If not you can mail them to NC State University but your local ag office will be faster imo

Are yalls samples still free for the analysis? They charge 6$ down here on good ole SC!

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Are yalls samples still free for the analysis? They charge 6$ down here on good ole SC!

I couldn't tell ya. The golf course I worked on paid for all of our samples. Make sure when you are getting your samples to not mix different soil area types, keep them separate, and label accordingly so you can manage your areas effectively. 

1 hour ago, southernskimmer said:

I couldn't tell ya. The golf course I worked on paid for all of our samples. Make sure when you are getting your samples to not mix different soil area types, keep them separate, and label accordingly so you can manage your areas effectively. 

Yeah, I'm a master gardener through the Clemson extension program. They really push those soil tests hard! Lol! But I've never taken one from my yard! I'm pretty sure they are free up in NC! I need to make it up to the JC Raulston arboretum one day, hear it's great! I'm more of a plant and tree guy as opposed to turf! Y'all have some great nurseries up around the Raleigh area! Made it to Cam Forest open house in October, would like to get to Plant Delights nursery one day!

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah man.  Moles make all the tunnels in the yard and the voles eat my garden up.  I have way too many of both.

Voles make tunnels too! I think! They eat roots underground and one day you look out and see a dead tree or shrub , and you touch it and it just falls over, all the roots are gone! Coles suck! Miles are just rooting around for grubs and stuff, just look at it as free aeration! :)

28 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm an animal person, but if one ever lays a hot nugget on my car, I will make him into a tennis racquet !

Lol  I tried an experiment to see what was the top speed that a two inches in diameter nugget could remain fixed to the hood of a vehicle.  To my surprise, it hung on at 83 mph.  I'm not sure my car can go faster than that.  I had to back her down and swat it off later.  That Meow Mix is good stuff man!

15 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Lol  I tried an experiment to see what was the top speed that a two inches in diameter nugget could remain fixed to the hood of a vehicle.  To my surprise, it hung on at 83 mph.  I'm not sure my car can go faster than that.  I had to back her down and swat it off later.  That Meow Mix is good stuff man!

Go with the can food, you can top 150mph and still not move it!

11 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Lol they must like U. My cat lives outside all the time and is a killing machine. Birds, mice, you name it greet me at the front door most mornings. 

Every now and then, I'll find a big pile of feathers and a little blood stain in the garage.  But they never kill anything helpful.