• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

4 hours ago, No snow for you said:

Hey Mack if the flowers are still in their buds will they still get nuked this week? Also putting sheets on hydrangeas help at all or is this hard freeze going to kill the buds this year?

I would cover as much as you can! I had clematis in bud and they survived 24/25 last week, but we could easily see upper teens to low 20s Wed night!  If the hydrangea bloom on old wood only ( old fashioned types) their buds are very sensitive to freezes and you would get 0 flowers this year, maybe even if you cover! Need to get a few new kind like " Endless Summer" and such that bloom on old and new wood! And maybe some oak leaf hydrangeas that bloom in mid summer and have no buds yet 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:38 PM, mackerel_sky said:

I would cover as much as you can! I had clematis in bud and they survived 24/25 last week, but we could easily see upper teens to low 20s Wed night!  If the hydrangea bloom on old wood only ( old fashioned types) their buds are very sensitive to freezes and you would get 0 flowers this year, maybe even if you cover! Need to get a few new kind like " Endless Summer" and such that bloom on old and new wood! And maybe some oak leaf hydrangeas that bloom in mid summer and have no buds yet 

My wife got ours covered. We will see. My Cherry blossoms made it so far.

1 hour ago, frazdaddy said:

My wife got ours covered. We will see. My Cherry blossoms made it so far.

I read somewhere that peach bud/ flowers and apple buds/flowers are killed 24 degrees! One of our local guys said if it gets to 20-22 degrees, it could kill 95% of upcoming peach crop! Tomorrow night should be the coldest night, and I expect widespread upper teen outside the mountains, in outlying areas

13 hours ago, griteater said:

I would be interested to hear from burrell on the peach farm.  Looks like a rough couple of nights ahead after a warm winter and early growth

Hit 24.2 this AM! Tonight should be scary! One of our local mets father, owns an apple farm in NC, they are very concerned about the crop!! I still think 18/19 imby!

Sucks to look out and see all the dead leaves and flowers ! My Japanese maples look sickly with black dead leaves, that started coming out in February!! Due to the early leaf out, because of the record warm winter, this may have been as bad or worse than the April 07 freeze! Early call is 90-95% of peach crop killed in SC by this freeze ! :(

4 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Sucks to look out and see all the dead leaves and flowers ! My Japanese maples look sickly with black dead leaves, that started coming out in February!! Due to the early leaf out, because of the record warm winter, this may have been as bad or worse than the April 07 freeze! Early call is 90-95% of peach crop killed in SC by this freeze ! :(

Yeah, I've got one that was given to me in a sandwich bag. It's 5ft tall now , those black leaves are sad.

3 hours ago, Hvward said:

About that time guys. Heard someone finding morels around 2300' in the area. Time to grab my basket and head into the woods. Finding a few ramps would be nice as well. Anyone else do any wild foraging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do wild foraging in clubs and bars but that was a long time ago. I found some pretty tasty morsels.

3 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Very pleased to report the same. Blooming as we speak.  Thought for sure they were done for.

Yeah, ornamentals and flowers, seem to be fine, other than a little damage/ burn on the tips! Jap maples already pushing out new growth, now if we could just shake this drought!! Already saw an article on ( accuweather) I know, but said we should have a weak / moderate El Niño going as we head into fall, and would mean a snowy winter for the east, and they didn't expect a raging, Godzilla Nino, like two years ago!

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, ornamentals and flowers, seem to be fine, other than a little damage/ burn on the tips! Jap maples already pushing out new growth, now if we could just shake this drought!! Already saw an article on ( accuweather) I know, but said we should have a weak / moderate El Niño going as we head into fall, and would mean a snowy winter for the east, and they didn't expect a raging, Godzilla Nino, like two years ago!

If the LR GFS is to be believed ,cough,cough we may get a wet start to April.:wacko:

42 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I got cherries 1 year. 10 gallons of Bings. Never again though.

I may be wrong, but I think our climate, NC/SC region, are too warm for cherries to do well. It's either too warm and humid or not enough winter chill hours.? That's why you don't see a whole lot around here, but ornamental cherries do OK

15 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I may be wrong, but I think our climate, NC/SC region, are too warm for cherries to do well. It's either too warm and humid or not enough winter chill hours.? That's why you don't see a whole lot around here, but ornamental cherries do OK

Come to think of it. We got a lot of snow that year. 1988/89

2 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I had two within 50 feet of each other when they bore the fruit. I have an ornamental now that bloomed nicely this year.

I got a white weeping ornamental cherry, white flowered, it's about half full of blooms! Looks good for after that mega freeze! My favorite tree of the day is Ruby Falls Redbud tree!! About to burst into flower! Great tree