• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

My centipede grass is just starting to green up. And my neighbors weeds are 6 inches tall.  I was thinking of using Scotts Bonus S in the next couple of days. Or should I use something different?  I used it last year but didn't get it down until late April.  My yard looked great all summer... Nice and bright green.  Can you mix both Bermuda and Centipede? was thinking of over seeding now.  Thanks for any input... 

2 hours ago, NCWX said:

My centipede grass is just starting to green up. And my neighbors weeds are 6 inches tall.  I was thinking of using Scotts Bonus S in the next couple of days. Or should I use something different?  I used it last year but didn't get it down until late April.  My yard looked great all summer... Nice and bright green.  Can you mix both Bermuda and Centipede? was thinking of over seeding now.  Thanks for any input... 

Not sure if you can mix the two! But I don't think centipede can survive much outside the coastal areas, due to its lack of cold hardiness.

Yeah it grows pretty well here. Our whole neighborhood is centipede, Sandy soil, and lots of rain. Only 15 miles from the coast.  Went ahead and got a bag of centipede seed and fertilizer this morning....  gonna mow the yard short, rake it, and spread both tomorrow.  Then water it each day for a week or so.   Should be good for the summer.  

Quick question for any of you in Atlanta metro. I'm entering my first growing season as a homeowner after living in the northern suburbs of Chicago (Kenosha,WI). I'm used to having to wait until Mother's day weekend to do any planting.

Other than general maintenance and clean up, what can I start working on in the yard? Is it safe to lay seed for grass in spots where it's needed? Can I put a few annuals in the ground yet? Can I put anything in pots yet?

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, KENW0728 said:

Quick question for any of you in Atlanta metro. I'm entering my first growing season as a homeowner after living in the northern suburbs of Chicago (Kenosha,WI). I'm used to having to wait until Mother's day weekend to do any planting.

Other than general maintenance and clean up, what can I start working on in the yard? Is it safe to lay seed for grass in spots where it's needed? Can I put a few annuals in the ground yet? Can I put anything in pots yet?

Thanks in advance

You can plant trees and shrubs year round down here, fall ( Oct) being best, then dead of winter , then early spring( now), summer is worst time to plant trees and shrubs. Don't plant summer annuals yet, like petunias, marigolds and such, wait till after April 15th as a general rule! You can mulch of course, prune roses and butterfly bushes, if you have them in February. Pruning on trees and shrubs should be done in dead of winter, before they break dormancy, but now would probably be ok. Anything can be planted in pots now, except summer annuals. You can plant pansies now, and they will last through about May, they are winter annuals and die when it gets consistently in the 80s, unless you have fescue grass, don't do anything besides put down pre emergent now!

26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

You can plant trees and shrubs year round down here, fall ( Oct) being best, then dead of winter , then early spring( now), summer is worst time to plant trees and shrubs. Don't plant summer annuals yet, like petunias, marigolds and such, wait till after April 15th as a general rule! You can mulch of course, prune roses and butterfly bushes, if you have them in February. Pruning on trees and shrubs should be done in dead of winter, before they break dormancy, but now would probably be ok. Anything can be planted in pots now, except summer annuals. You can plant pansies now, and they will last through about May, they are winter annuals and die when it gets consistently in the 80s, unless you have fescue grass, don't do anything besides put down pre emergent now!

Thanks for the information. It's a different set of rules down here--with this warmth I've been itching to get planting but have to keep reminding myself it's still winter. These 70's resemble a May heatwave back in the Chicagoland area.

5 minutes ago, KENW0728 said:

Thanks for the information. It's a different set of rules down here--with this warmth I've been itching to get planting but have to keep reminding myself it's still winter. These 70's resemble a May heatwave back in the Chicagoland area.

That's probably a 3-5 degree zone jump for planting, Chicago is probably zone 4 or 5 and ATL is zone 8 ! You will be able to plant way more varieties of trees and flowers, that wouldn't survive Chicago winters!

29 minutes ago, POWERSTROKE said:

As long as you have water you can plant trees and shrubs year round including in the middle if hot summer.  We do it all the time with no issues.  

The average person that does not understand that this may include watering everyday, should not plant in summer. I do it all the time as well, but know the dedication it takes to baby them. If anybody installed last summer , without an irrigation system, they most likely lost all their newly planted trees and shrubs!

20 hours ago, KENW0728 said:

Thanks in advance

Don't plant anything that can't survive a hard freeze as we will have one later in March inevitably.  Too many times people get lulled into planting by an early spring only to have it hit mid 20s in April with 2007 being a perfect example.  Every year my mother in law runs out to Home Depot during a late winter warm spell and plants her vegetable garden.  She usually loses most of it.  Another thing to take into account is the ground temperatures as even though it is warm for this time of year some plants need ground temps that can only be achieved later.  I should add that I speak mostly of vegetables.  You can plant shrubs or trees whenever and I'm not sure on grass.  I know Bermuda won't come back until mid to late April no matter how warm it is.  That is just my experience though.  

35 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Anybody getting excited about the solar eclipse? The centerline of it crosses my drive way!  From what I've read it sounds like quite the spectacle.

I don't understand all the fuss about something you can't look at anyway!? But you best believe I'll be trying to take selfies of me , trying to get the eclipse in the picture!

41 minutes ago, EmersonGA said:

Don't plant anything that can't survive a hard freeze as we will have one later in March inevitably.  Too many times people get lulled into planting by an early spring only to have it hit mid 20s in April with 2007 being a perfect example.  Every year my mother in law runs out to Home Depot during a late winter warm spell and plants her vegetable garden.  She usually loses most of it.  Another thing to take into account is the ground temperatures as even though it is warm for this time of year some plants need ground temps that can only be achieved later.  I should add that I speak mostly of vegetables.  You can plant shrubs or trees whenever and I'm not sure on grass.  I know Bermuda won't come back until mid to late April no matter how warm it is.  That is just my experience though.  

I have rose of Sharon leaves coming out! They are usually one of the last trees to break dormancy , in the first or middle of April! Just crazy! And I've seen some Bermuda sod put down over the winter, starting to green up!

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I have rose of Sharon leaves coming out! They are usually one of the last trees to break dormancy , in the first or middle of April! Just crazy! And I've seen some Bermuda sod put down over the winter, starting to green up!

Wow on the rose of sharon.  I noticed my elderberries were greening out a couple of weeks ago when I pruned them.  I went ahead and cut them back since they are so weed like anyways.  My forsythia is in full bloom and some of my daffodils have already bloomed and withered.  Other than that everything is still pretty dormant I guess since we have had a decent number of freezes since that January stretch.  

1 minute ago, rowjimmy73 said:

Just dug up half the wild onions in the backyard so we can put down grass seed for shade. First year renting this house hoping to change dirt yard to grass.

It's hard to get grass to grow in shade. Fescue is your best bet, still not great, should do a ground cover like mondo grass, liriope, ajuga! Good luck

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I don't understand all the fuss about something you can't look at anyway!? But you best believe I'll be trying to take selfies of me , trying to get the eclipse in the picture!

Can't look at? It's a total eclipse.... it's suppose to be almost completely dark outside when it happens.  

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/what_you_see.htm

On 2/23/2017 at 1:20 PM, KENW0728 said:

Yep,  wait until early April.  We can get hard freezes into early April.  Everything is about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule due to the record warmth. 

38 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Can't look at? It's a total eclipse.... it's suppose to be almost completely dark outside when it happens.  

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/what_you_see.htm

I know, they always told us in the 80s, it'll burn your cornea or retinas, the light that's not obscure, the outer ring, is way brighter than just the sun! I think it might be safe , with welding goggles!?

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I know, they always told us in the 80s, it'll burn your cornea or retinas, the light that's not obscure, the outer ring, is way brighter than just the sun! I think it might be safe , with welding goggles!?

Well there hasn't been a total eclipse in South Carolina in like a 100 years.. so whatever you saw in the 80's isn't going to compare to this... lol

You can view a total eclipse with the naked eye. No special viewing apparatus needed. The stars will appear when it reaches totality. You should not look at any partial eclipse with the naked eye, so you might want a welding mask to watch as it approaches totality.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

You can view a total eclipse with the naked eye. No special viewing apparatus needed. The stars will appear when it reaches totality. You should not look at any partial eclipse with the naked eye, so you might want a welding mask to watch as it approaches totality.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Ok, cool thanks! I'm in aprime spot, and unlike our snowstorms, the bullseye won't shift to my NW! :)

About to take off the mower deck and rebuild it, leave it to Honda to over-engineer the darn thing.  Bearings have to pressed on to the shafts, if it weren't for the rebuild of the troybilt horse back end a few years ago I would feel out of my league. 

A couple of the sycamores a died back last year and are not looking so hot, wondering if I need to take them out while young and replant with chestnut oak or white oak.  Anthranocosos is a big killer here of sycamores, I have 5 in a row and wondering if 2 got hit.