• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

2 hours ago, broken024 said:

Too early for pre emergant in Charlotte? Too late? Serious question.

Pre-emergent is for crabgrass (and related weedy grasses).  The seed for this year's crabgrass comes from last year's crabgrass plants that were in your yard (each plant produces a ton of seeds that are deposited)...or it could be blown in by wind...or come from rain runoff from a road or drainage basin.  Crabgrass loves high heat and humidity and won't sprout until at least May I'd say.  Now is a good time to put down pre-emergent.  Bottom line: put down pre-emergent and prevent this year's crabgrass plants from 'emerging' and you won't have a big crabgrass problem next year (since this year's plants won't be present to deposit seeds for next year).

1 hour ago, griteater said:

Pre-emergent is for crabgrass (and related weedy grasses).  The seed for this year's crabgrass comes from last year's crabgrass plants that were in your yard (each plant produces a ton of seeds that are deposited)...or it could be blown in by wind...or come from rain runoff from a road or drainage basin.  Crabgrass loves high heat and humidity and won't sprout until at least May I'd say.  Now is a good time to put down pre-emergent.  Bottom line: put down pre-emergent and prevent this year's crabgrass plants from 'emerging' and you won't have a big crabgrass problem next year (since this year's plants won't be present to deposit seeds for next year).

Good answer! Also put down pre emergent in September or October, to prevent winter weeds from sprouting

Pre-emergent is for broad leaf weeds as well as crabgrass.  With the warm temps in Nov and Dec there have been abundance of weeds already in lawns throughout the Piedmont.  We generally put out pre emergent starting feb 1 as we use multiple applications.  If using one application need to wait until March 1 or around 15th if possible but all depends where you are at.  Charlotte definitely needs to be out asap. Dimension and barricade are best for lawns

7 hours ago, No snow for you said:

I put mine out a week ago. Maybe getting close to too late bc we are having spring in February 

Digging out the lawn mower today, never thought I would be doing this in mid February.  I don't think I can remember a winter quite this bad.  My daughter in New Hampshire had 24 inches in a blizzard 2 days ago and now it has been snowing all day again thru Monday with another 2 feet possible,  we can't even get an inch to show up on a fantasy map.  Terrible.

13 hours ago, fritschy said:

Digging out the lawn mower today, never thought I would be doing this in mid February.  I don't think I can remember a winter quite this bad.  My daughter in New Hampshire had 24 inches in a blizzard 2 days ago and now it has been snowing all day again thru Monday with another 2 feet possible,  we can't even get an inch to show up on a fantasy map.  Terrible.

There is not any grass growing! Asheville is at their seasonal average for snow at this point in the season. I can think of 2 other winters off the top of my head that were worse than this winter in the last 10 years.

Ive already done pre emergent on my yard. Zoysia turning green next to driveway and retaining wall (concrete holding heat). Trees are pollenating making for a long allergy season...again. Have fished 2 tournaments and fish are moving shallow quick. On keowee the power plant lake (warmer water) fish are spawning in some parts of the lake. About a month earlier than last year which was early.

2 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

There is not any grass growing! Asheville is at their seasonal average for snow at this point in the season. I can think of 2 other winters off the top of my head that were worse than this winter in the last 10 years.

Calm down my friend, this is a discussion site and yes my grass is growing, maybe not yours,  I'm glad you can tell me its not growing when you haven't even seen it, I guess I can tell you what is going on at your place.  :unsure:

2 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

Mine is, at this rate I may have to cut before Feb is over.

40 minutes ago, rjtysinger said:

Always wanted to get down to S.C. and fish some waters other than Santee. Wateree always has interested me. I get you on the power plant lake, I fished Sutton lake a lot and it was great before they switched from coal to lp.

Wateree is a great place to fish. At one time, it had a great striped bass population but I think that has dropped some. I would not eat a lot of fish out of that lake though. Lots of pollution unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Grass.jpg

Don't know why nothing will grow, just might be really poor dirt. I'd put down 2 bags of mushroom compost and take it/ mix it with the top two or three inches of dirt , over the whole area of each bad spot, should help atleast get some weeds going! What kind of grass is your yard!?

3 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

Asheville has had seven inches of snow so far this winter, looking for the other six inches I hope before spring, our season average is 13 inches.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Can someone tell me why nothing will grow in this area?  I'd be fine with weeds growing there, like they do everywhere else in my yard...even in the shady spots.  But I have about 2-3 places like this where nothing will grow.  It's like the ground is poison.

Grass.jpg

Isn't that where you dumped your old gas?

4 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Don't know why nothing will grow, just might be really poor dirt. I'd put down 2 bags of mushroom compost and take it/ mix it with the top two or three inches of dirt , over the whole area of each bad spot, should help atleast get some weeds going! What kind of grass is your yard!?

Agree...would also areate the heck out of it with something like this below.  I have one and hit the areas that struggle.  If you can't pull plugs then you would know why, to compacted.

https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-ID-6C-Coring-Aerator/dp/B00EOMCJD6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487014119&sr=8-3&keywords=aerator+lawn

4 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Thanks Mack...and Pack.  I will try that.  I keep Roundupping my natural areas and weeds keep coming up.  I actually want weeds to grow in this area and nothing will.  I'll do what you said and see what happens.  No idea on the grass type.  I think it's some kind of hybrid variety of clovers, dandelions, chickweed, stuff like that.

Cold Rain, I agree with the Pack's and Mack's of the forum, but one thing - is the spot near big trees? Turf and weeds will really struggle under the umbrella/near big trees. The trees seem to suck up not only the majority of the groundwater, but my own theory is that they suck up all of the nutrients as well. You might consider just mulching it if possible. Big trees and grass simply don't mix. This is crazy, don't we have some warm noses to analyze?