• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Seasonal Snowfall Futility Markers

North Balti Zen

I had this in the banter thread, but am pulling it out and dropping it here for quick reference, and, because, well, it may be relevant sadly in other years too.

At any rate, if people could help double-check, I think we are at year to date:

0.7" BWI

1.4" DCA

1.0" Dulles

Seriously, if someone can fact check the current numbers that would be great.

Here's the relevant futility lists for each airport for reference:

http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter_storm-pr#SeasonalSnowfall

BWI:

.7 - '49/'50

1.2 - '72/'73

1.8 - 2011/12

2.3 - 2001/02

3.2 - '97/'98

DCA

.1 - '97/'98

.1 - '72/'73

2.0 - 2011/12

2.2 - '75/'76

2.5 - '30/'31

Dulles:

2.2 - '72/'73

2.6 - 2001/02

3.7 - 2011/12

4.4 - '80/'81

5.9 - '97/'98

Hoping we get snow that takes the airports off of these lists, but, if not, they are the markers.

32 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

92 seasons in the period of record here, and only these seasons had less than 6"

1930-31 (5.7")

2008-09 (5.1")

2001-02 (4.9")

2016-17 (3.1") so far

1972-73 (3.0")

1931-32 (1.4")

I recall that in 1972 driving back to WDC from  Mount St. Mary's in a raging snowstorm one night in probably February only to reach the beltway and see it change to rain in a New York minute.

25 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

My WAG is IAD and BWI at least get a fraction of an inch in February and then all 3 airports get 3" of slop overnight in mid-March that melts by 10am.  It's like 12-13 but even worse.  

And I will still enjoy that 3" slop storm. :) I have very pleasant memories of 3/24-25/13.

My jumping date is 4/7 in any winter-- the end date of the last ground covering snow in my lifetime. (1990- 3.8" at IAD)

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

And I will still enjoy that 3" slop storm. :) I have very pleasant memories of 3/24-25/13.

My jumping date is 4/7 in any winter-- the end date of the last ground covering snow in my lifetime. (1990- 3.8" at IAD)

I thought 3/25/13 was ridiculous. I had ~6", nothing on the streets, didn't even get a day off work, and it was all gone by lunch.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I thought 3/25/13 was ridiculous. I had ~6", nothing on the streets, didn't even get a day off work, and it was all gone by lunch.  

Wait, how did it accumulate on streets here and not where you are? 

See the photos from Wheaton and Savage:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/03/25/beautiful-spring-snow-blankets-washington-d-c-area/

I'm pretty sure Matt has posted pics of snow on paved surfaces in DC that early morning too.

13 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Wait, how did it accumulate on streets here and not where you are? 

See the photos from Wheaton and Savage:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/03/25/beautiful-spring-snow-blankets-washington-d-c-area/

I'm pretty sure Matt has posted pics of snow on paved surfaces in DC that early morning too.

Maybe it did and I just forgot. But I remember having no issues driving to work.

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Maybe it did and I just forgot. But I remember having no issues driving to work.

It melted on paved surfaces soon after sunrise, and by late March, the sun is up during most people's commute. So you're definitely right that it had minimal commuting impacts. I just enjoy a moderate snowstorm no matter what time of year. Seeing grass completely covered makes me happy. 

On 2/2/2017 at 10:21 PM, EastCoast NPZ said:

Oops, forgot about that one, since I didn't post it in the winter thread.  My total for that season would then be 4".  So, I stand a good chance of setting the futility record, then.

16.5 here for 11/12, BUT....on this date in 2012 I was sitting at 2.0 inches on several nickel and penny specials.

Then had 9.8 on 2/20 and another 4.5 event on 3/5-6. The 2-20 event was my 'fun' travel event to Houston. US Air cancelled every morning flight out of Roanoke except mine at 6:25 am to connect in Charlotte to get to Houston. So my travel partner (this was business trip) and I arrived at work (at 4:15 am) and left for Roanoke an hour plus with the road conditions. Before we even made it past gate of plant her phone then mine went off with a 1 hour delay, so we decided to eat at IHOP's on way. Arrived at airport and another delay went through phones as we pulled in lot for additional 45 minutes. We finally boarded plane at 9:45 to make a 11:05 connection in Charlotte. I asked several times while waiting if we were going to make that connection, girl said oh yeah, easy. haha

We landed in Charlotte at 10:52, ran through airport like old O J Simpson Hertz commercial to only see the plane backing out the gate at the end of terminal. For those who know the Charlotte airport we arrived at gate E24 and Houston departure was gate A10, about as far apart as you can get there. We were rebooked onto a Continental flight two hours later and finally got to Houston, only to have her luggage not show up haha. 

I think we just need to remind ourselves (even though most of us already know it) that winters that are this bad, aren't the norm at all. Winters where the Carolinas to SE VA, as well as the cities north of 40N get big storms, while we get almost nothing, are NOT NORMAL.

Otherwise, the whole "DC sucks" narrative gets out of control like it just before the last 3 good winters.

6 hours ago, Fozz said:

I think we just need to remind ourselves (even though most of us already know it) that winters that are this bad, aren't the norm at all. Winters where the Carolinas to SE VA, as well as the cities north of 40N get big storms, while we get almost nothing, are NOT NORMAL.

Otherwise, the whole "DC sucks" narrative gets out of control like it just before the last 3 good winters.

Is the snow hole phenomena over the DC/Balt metro region and northern MD just bad luck or actually a feature of La Ninas? Cause this looks a lot like 2010/11. I don't know if we've ever seen similar outcomes in previous La Ninas.

• 2 weeks later...