joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 6-7th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pouring rain all day with temps in the 30s. DTW had 1.01" of rain. Still some snow left at 6pm however the temp rose from 41F at 5pm to a daily record of 56F at 7pm and now low 40s and falling. The brief but intense temp spike took care of the rest of the snow, now just piles left. Overall a worthless weather day as the roller coaster winter continues.

8 hours ago, Willh said:

Nice Bo!

This storm is really over-performing over here. We had 8-9 inches a few hours ago...and its still pouring snow and my car is covered once again.

Looking good for the near future, too. This storm was canceled too early...mostly by snow weenies in the big cities.

This is really turning out to be a fun storm in the UP.

To be fair, I had acknowledged earlier in the thread that it could be a decent system for you guys up north.

10 hours ago, Stebo said:

Lovely day here in Detroit, though I don't think we are making mid 50s today.

You certainly jumped the gun there. :lol:

After this past Summer, I never underestimate the potential of those late-day temperature rallies. 

BTW, at least we did get some intense convective downpours. Better than just plain awful light/moderate stratiform rains.

10 minutes ago, Powerball said:

To be fair, I had acknowledged earlier in the thread that it could be a decent system for you guys up north.

No one cancelled this storm. He just said that. This storm actually for the UP was classic detroit style of a few years ago. Many days out models were printing out massive snow totals and the reality was a very nice 8-12 inch snowstorm, but not the 14-18 inches models had days out.

10 minutes ago, Powerball said:

After this past Summer, I never underestimate the potential of those late-day temperature rallies. 

BTW, at least we did get some intense convective downpours. Better than just plain awful light/moderate stratiform rains.

This was a brief but intense temp spike this evening. Rain is rain to me. It was a miserable day. This was my 2nd largest storm, precip wise, of met winter with 0.89". The Dec 11/12 snowstorm is first with 1.00" precip in our 10.9" snow. 

7 hours ago, Willh said:

You have a really beautiful forest around you. I am so jealous of the place you've carved out for yourself. The UP is so beautiful...so much more so once you get out into the forests and craggy rolling hills/mountains looking down on the lake.

Love your pics.

Thanks, Will! Was up all last night tracking snow and endend up falling asleep at 7 this evening and missed the whole tail end of the storm. Still snowing fairly hard ( transitioned to lake effect), I'd say 11-12" has fallen. Much fluffier than earlier today.

Cost of living is pretty low here chambana but so are good paying jobs... even in Marquette. Basically mining or logging. I'm fortunate, work is an option not a necessity. I was able to find 3 bed/ 3 bath home, 20 acres, 10 years old for 200k. There are some drawbacks like 25-30 min to a grocery store. :D

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Yeah I was shocked how warm we got, but it was only for a couple hours.

Here around 3pm the temps were 38 on the overhead in the truck with thick fog. I remember thinking wow definitely a temperature underperformance, I wonder how this will effect the evening ground temps and icing conditions.  As I drove south from Windsor home,  there was a line carved out in the fog and everything brightened up considerably a few moments later I looked up and the temp was 47 on the overhead. Looking back on the experience I wish I would have grabbed a quick photo. An hour later the air temp was 53....

Finished with 12.5".  Lake snow is winding down to just flurries.  With a foot of new snow, the depth was only increased by 7".  The snow to start was so dense, I had recorded 2" and the depth had barely changed.  It was a nice system snow, something that has been lacking. Feeling like Winter... depth back to 30" for the second time. Lots of cleanup to do. 

there's a picnic table on the left side of the pic out in the yard.

IMG_0703.JPG

12 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Finished with 12.5".  Lake snow is winding down to just flurries.  With a foot of new snow, the depth was only increased by 7".  The snow to start was so dense, I had recorded 2" and the depth had barely changed.  It was a nice system snow, something that has been lacking. Feeling like Winter... depth back to 30" for the second time. Lots of cleanup to do. 

there's a picnic table on the left side of the pic out in the yard.

IMG_0703.JPG

Can't wait for the weekend! Perfect timing, our snow melts and your area has the deepest of the winter.

I notice that the deeper the snow is the more it does keep compacting with new snow. In 2014 our depth peaked at 21" despite getting tons of new snow. Core samples were 3-4". Water content must be 4" or 5" for you I'd imagine.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Can't wait for the weekend! Perfect timing, our snow melts and your area has the deepest of the winter.

I notice that the deeper the snow is the more it does keep compacting with new snow. In 2014 our depth peaked at 21" despite getting tons of new snow. Core samples were 3-4". Water content must be 4" or 5" for you I'd imagine.

Yes.  I'll also add that it takes a lot of snow to get a 3' depth and maintain it.  Deepest I've seen since I've lived here is around 5' in the Winter of '14-15 west of here on the north side of the silver lake Basin.  That was 250" of snow without a thaw. 

It was around this date.

legend_ssm_depth_dem_152_402_0_1_0_1_0_0.pngssm_depth.2014030812.0.600.450._13164.4969._12827.5418.dem.shading.k.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.png

Glad the fz rain is over, left a mess on the roads now which are a glacier since the re-freeze. Didn't do a lot of damage to whats left of my anemic snowpack, the torches have really worked my area over. Was close to 30" before the main thaw, now down to about a 12-15".  Hate to say it butt looking forward to spring already.  I feel bad for most of the sub with this winter year, luckily we have had LES to help but the torches have been brutal. Then when we do get synoptic it has been either rain, or rain/sleet/fz rain I would rather not have nay synoptic if this trend continues. 

Archived