Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 6-7th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

13 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

I will say Alek is optimistic about this one..

Optimistic for snow or storms? Hell with how boring things have been for Chicago he could just be optimistic it does something. It's too bad he is still ghosting the forum though.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Optimistic for snow or storms? Hell with how boring things have been for Chicago he could just be optimistic it does something. It's too bad he is still ghosting the forum though.

If he's optimistic about the snow aspect, then he's probably got the wrong Alek.

5 hours ago, andyhb said:

That southern wave is too progressive, otherwise you'd have a chance for a full phase and really rapid cyclogenesis.

Can't seem to shake the uber-progressive upper level flow for ****.

That's been our main achilles heel as far as getting significant storm systems,

43 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Just get some more snow bo. I wont nitpick how much lol. Just add some to the pack! I leave 1 week from today! Detroit has twice the snow depth that Mackinac & Escanaba have right now. Yikes.

You're going to find the snow depths here disappointing.  A foot still may fall in the higher terrain locally, but when you head west of Marquette, the deeper depths are north of 41, and there just aren't roads that penetrate the Huron's more than a few miles.  The last time I was in Negaunee, there was only around 15" otg.  The eastern UP has had very good lake snows the past couple days and depths there are over 30" in spots.  Even tho, IMO, west of Marquette is much more beautiful due to the rugged terrain and white pine forests, if you're looking for deeper snow, I'd stay east.  My depth has settled to 21".

Although, models do show a nice little snow next weekend here, but way too far off to even consider it happening.

ssm_depth.2017020416.0.600.450._13245.5023._12908.5472.dem.shading.ik.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.jpg

2 years ago I was at 38"

ssm_depth.2014022818.0.600.450._13218.4975._12881.5424.dem.shading.k.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.jpg

34 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

You're going to find the snow depths here disappointing.  A foot still may fall in the higher terrain locally, but when you head west of Marquette, the deeper depths are north of 41, and there just aren't roads that penetrate the Huron's more than a few miles.  The last time I was in Negaunee, there was only around 15" otg.  The eastern UP has had very good lake snows the past couple days and depths there are over 30" in spots.  Even tho, IMO, west of Marquette is much more beautiful due to the rugged terrain and white pine forests, if you're looking for deeper snow, I'd stay east.  My depth has settled to 21".

Although, models do show a nice little snow next weekend here, but way too far off to even consider it happening.

ssm_depth.2017020416.0.600.450._13245.5023._12908.5472.dem.shading.ik.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.jpg

2 years ago I was at 38"

ssm_depth.2014022818.0.600.450._13218.4975._12881.5424.dem.shading.k.m.1.0.0.1.0.0.jpg

While the depth is disappointing, Id still rather see the beauty of your area, Ive been to the eastern UP many times. And obviously there is still snow lol.

5 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Yep, that SPC svr outlook was from this Sat. morning  analysis.  I would expect them to chop off a lot of it on the northern end given today's model runs with weaker low pressure than originally thought and lack of good directional shear in low levels.

Still a fair amount on variability on the exact details.  Now the ECMWF is on the stronger/western side of the op models. More appreciable tornado threat is problematic though barring a trend toward quicker deepening.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still a fair amount on variability on the exact details.  Now the ECMWF is on the stronger/western side of the op models. More appreciable tornado threat is problematic though barring a trend toward quicker deepening.

Yeah, NAM still looks rather interesting as well as it comes into range.  We'll see how much digging takes place with the wave along with slowing it down a bit.

37 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Each run of GFS has the shortwave becoming flatter.  The system is way weaker than it was looking a couple days ago.  The latest run has Minneapolis getting nothing and Green Bay just a little light snow from the backwash.

I Remember a few days ago the euro run showing a 965 mb low on superior. Now we might be lucky to have it sub 1000 mb before entering Canada. Horrible

54 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Each run of GFS has the shortwave becoming flatter.  The system is way weaker than it was looking a couple days ago.  The latest run has Minneapolis getting nothing and Green Bay just a little light snow from the backwash.

Loving It, finally south / weak / cold enough for mostly snow around here, but the QPF seems pretty horrible with the weakening sadly.

As far as severe chances, differences exist between the 00z NAM and GFS.  The GFS threat is like non-existent roughly north of the Ohio River while the NAM would probably suggest some threat. 

I'm tempted to think the GFS may have gone a bit too far on the flat/weak side, but a quick look at the ensembles sort of supports the op.  

Archived