• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxUSAF

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Worst wx month in the history of our region. 

I disagree- if it's not gonna snow, a record breaking megatorch is the next best thing. This is actually increasing my rating for the winter.

Worst winter month is cold and dry, or 40's and rain all month- something like that.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

My neighbor's weeping cherry tree is in full bloom this morning, and the weeping willow behind my house is leafing.  I expect to see a bunch more ornamental fruit trees in my hood in full bloom when I get home this evening.

Yup. Their goes the peach crop again this year.

10 hours ago, high risk said:

The low-level shear will be fairly strong, so one certainly can't rule out embedded supercells in a QLCS-type structure, but this area usually ends up with a standard squall line in these strongly-forced scenarios.

12z NAM looks overdone re SBCAPE/MLCAPE for the area... SBCAPE around 1500 and MLCAPE over 1000

17 minutes ago, yoda said:

12z NAM sounding at KDCA for 18z SAT

wow, that's quite a instability/shear combo.   The inferred watch box based on those parameters is tornado, with good reason (although I would still argue that discrete development seems less likely).    I agree that the lapse rates seem a bit generous leading to higher cape, but even if you chop that down, it's still a good environment.    Based on the forecasted environmental parameters and reflectivity forecasts from the hi-res guidance, I would expect us to be placed in slight risk for the new SPC Day2.    If they don't, I think we'll get there in the day1 outlooks tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

We're into RAP range now for the Saturday instability forecast, and it shows 1000-1500 sfc-based cape here by late Saturday morning, so the NAM idea of 1500+ by early afternoon may not be totally far-fetched.

18z NAM (see image above) seems to agree... it also seems to want to zone in on the DCA-EZF area for the highest sup/tor potential

14 minutes ago, high risk said:

Looking at this evening's reflectivity forecasts from the HRRR and ops and para NAM nests, along with the forecasted environmental parameters, having slight risk for Saturday seems like a lock.

I am guessing it's more for damaging winds, but I could see a few large hail reports with mid level lapse rates close to 7.0 C/KM.  Also, I wouldn't rule out a tornado or two

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

I am guessing it's more for damaging winds, but I could see a few large hail reports with mid level lapse rates close to 7.0 C/KM.  Also, I wouldn't rule out a tornado or two

I agree with this.   The shear would support a modest tornado threat, and maybe there can be a QLCS-type spinup, but it's going to be really tough to get discrete cells tomorrow.   

1 hour ago, high risk said:

I agree with this.   The shear would support a modest tornado threat, and maybe there can be a QLCS-type spinup, but it's going to be really tough to get discrete cells tomorrow.   

00z 4km NAM sounding just SW of DCA in Fairfax County is rockin' and rolling :lol:  Notice the mid-level lapse rates around 7.5 C/KM

00zNAMhr18_KDCA_severe_ml.png

14 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Was reading AFD this morning and it noted that DCA is currently sitting at the driest Feb on record.  Also, IAD is set to easily break the warmest Feb and likely the warmest winter on record.

I don't have time to look but my guess is that, unlike this year, in past years when February was comparatively dry, it was cold.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived