Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

22 hours ago, H2O said:

I bet people in CA are sick of snow.

I am tired of it here in OR.  Ready for spring. Picture I took this past Sunday at Mt Bachelor.  Not that is matters but another 14" there since then.  

Skied a couple runs on Tuesday after a 2-1/2 hour delay for winds and lifts to get dug out. 

With 3 more months of ski season come on out for some shredding... April is my favorite ski month here.  

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/deals/ski-the-west/mt-bachelor?INT=AS_SkiTheWest_||20161017_AW||-prodID%3ADestinations

Thick snowpack.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the craft beer fans, here is one to try-  Victory Java Cask. I picked one up yesterday and drank it last night. Whoa. Lots going on but it all works...big imperial stout, coffee, bourbon barrel aged.

I am gonna pick up another one today and attempt to save it for consumption at a later date. lol.

9 hours ago, gymengineer said:

The warning situation in the Minneapolis area is :wacko:-worthy. They're without any advisory. One county south is WWA and then the next county south is a Blizzard Warning. 

From the MSP obs, it doesn't appear that it snowed at all.  If that happened around here this board would melt down.

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

For the craft beer fans, here is one to try-  Victory Java Cask. I picked one up yesterday and drank it last night. Whoa. Lots going on but it all works...big imperial stout, coffee, bourbon barrel aged.

I am gonna pick up another one today and attempt to save it for consumption at a later date. lol.

Just checked it out. Sounds really good, but $17.99/750 is above my price range except in very special circumstances! Also looks like it's out of stock in any of the nearby Total Wines, though of course it's available in stores farther west. GD Beltway beer geeks! :lol:

19 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Now that sounds interesting. Will have to see if there is any available up in my area.

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I agree 100%. It's a good thing we don't suck enough to have that happen to us.

I'll be honest, I don't remember going from 18"+ on the NAM and 6-12" on the GFS/Euro to not a flake within 36 hours.  The writing was on the wall for 12/26/10 before that, and 3/6/13 still at least had some non-accumulating flakes downtown and a decent snow by us (4").

MSP is also sitting at 0.3" for February, which if it holds would tie the lowest on record.  Good company all around, except Maine and the western mountains.

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I'll be honest, I don't remember going from 18"+ on the NAM and 6-12" on the GFS/Euro to not a flake within 36 hours.  The writing was on the wall for 12/26/10 before that, and 3/6/13 still at least had some non-accumulating flakes downtown and a decent snow by us (4").

MSP is also sitting at 0.3" for February, which if it holds would tie the lowest on record.  Good company all around, except Maine and the western mountains.

That's definitely got to be a kick in the nuts for them. It seems that, around here, we at least get systems that are reliably modeled from 48 hours or so, even if slight details change. If that were to happen to us at some point, then I think a lot of our nerves would be shot, especially for future storms. We're already regularly near the tipping point as it is!

What an epic crap of a winter in terms of snow in so many places. It's really quite impressive when you think about it.

17 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Just checked it out. Sounds really good, but $17.99/750 is above my price range except in very special circumstances! Also looks like it's out of stock in any of the nearby Total Wines, though of course it's available in stores farther west. GD Beltway beer geeks! :lol:

Yeah its pricey. Kept seeing at it on the shelf every time I went in for the last month. Then I made the mistake of reading about it lol. Decided to splurge.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Even the 06Z GFS was still showing 3" for them as the event was underway. Meanwhile Mason City, Iowa had multiple observations of thundersnow. 

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Wow.  Even I had more snow this Feb than MSP.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I heard on the radio this morning they're bottling (Zima) again. Back in high school that was the chicks drink of choice ...and of course boons farm.

When it first came out (~93 as I remember), it was my drink of choice for a while.  Good ABV (at the time) went down easy, good way to get from 0 to 60 in quick order.  Beer has always given me intense hang-overs when I over did it, Zima was a great alternative.  It's funny how my tastes have changed over the years.

5 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Thunderstorms in February and little snow. Y'all enjoying the Louisiana winter I brought with me moving here?

I feel bad for you this year. Even our typical sub par winters would impress a transplant from your neck of the woods. This year is a historic disaster so far. March paste bombs can be impressive so all hope is not lost yet but wow, what a craptastic winter so far. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I feel bad for you this year. Even our typical sub par winters would impress a transplant from your neck of the woods. This year is a historic disaster so far. March paste bombs can be impressive so all hope is not lost yet but wow, what a craptastic winter so far. 

Lol don't feel too bad. I will admit I'm bummed as hell that I didn't get much snow - believe it or not I had a couple years in Louisiana with more snow than I got this year in Gaithersburg. But dang has this weather the past week been beautiful. I'm hoping for a mild summer and lots of thunderstorms with potentially a little tropical.

Keep in mind the way all of you are with Snow, I am with Tropical. It's been a bummer past several years for tropical weather enthusiasts. So maybe we get a decent tropical storm or low level hurricane (would never wish something truly destructive) here this year.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If things hold, meaning no upcoming surprise snow events, Mappy's snow map will be...underwhelming? Of course for those who are from coastal MD and DE, this winter is a win. Probably the only places in our sub forum (outside of the western highlands maybe) that will be at or above climo.

Pretty sure the western highlands will be below climo.  Certainly been a subpar winter for snow cover in those areas.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived