Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

That wasn't historic.

That was my second biggest storm (7") since moving here, other than the HECS last year. To get those kind of totals in mid-March in southern MD is borderline historic in my opinion.

Even if you don't consider that storm historic, the month itself has to be. I had four accumulating events in March- I don't think I'll ever see that here again in my lifetime. In fact, if it wasn't for March, the 13/14 winter kinda sucked IMBY.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You are more concerned about crime in rural areas than DC / Balt / insert any other urban area in the world?  

You have to remember that it is all about rates.  There is more crime in cities, but there are more people.  Your individual chances of being a victim depend on that ratio.  I guess looking at the stats I should be equally as concerned.  My in-laws moved to the Amissville area which is one of the most rural parts of the northern half of VA and one of the safest.  The rate of violent crime there is 1 in 1800 (probably depends some on data source, but I'm not writing a thesis here).  The rate in my "zone" is 1 in 700 which is closer to Stephens City and much better than the crime-ridden hellhole that is Winchester.  But my zone also includes some heavily immigrant areas where there is more crime.  Taking the neighboring zone (Vienna) where the demographics are similar to my neighborhood and the rate is 1 in 1700, pretty much exactly the safe, rural rate.  So, given the same chance of being a victim of violent crime, I am more inclined to feel safe in a neighborhood with a number of people around than isolated out in a rural area.  I guess that is my take on the issue.

48 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

You have to remember that it is all about rates.  There is more crime in cities, but there are more people.  Your individual chances of being a victim depend on that ratio.  I guess looking at the stats I should be equally as concerned.  My in-laws moved to the Amissville area which is one of the most rural parts of the northern half of VA and one of the safest.  The rate of violent crime there is 1 in 1800 (probably depends some on data source, but I'm not writing a thesis here).  The rate in my "zone" is 1 in 700 which is closer to Stephens City and much better than the crime-ridden hellhole that is Winchester.  But my zone also includes some heavily immigrant areas where there is more crime.  Taking the neighboring zone (Vienna) where the demographics are similar to my neighborhood and the rate is 1 in 1700, pretty much exactly the safe, rural rate.  So, given the same chance of being a victim of violent crime, I am more inclined to feel safe in a neighborhood with a number of people around than isolated out in a rural area.  I guess that is my take on the issue.

The city does seem to have a lot of crime for whatever reason.  I think Winchester must be some type of drug hub.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

All in perception I suppose.  I feel safer where there are less people.  I was never really aware the Winchester had a high crime rate.  However it seems to have a sizable "immigrant" population and a couple notoriously bad sections of town, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, though I guess I shouldn't make assumptions as to the causes of the crime without data to back it up.  I have heard of a growing heroin problem in the Valley.  

Amissville is a wonderful area.  That entire area west on 211 is among the most beautiful in the state. 

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

All in perception I suppose.  I feel safer where there are less people.  I was never really aware the Winchester had a high crime rate.  However it seems to have a sizable "immigrant" population and a couple notoriously bad sections of town, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, though I guess I shouldn't make assumptions as to the causes of the crime without data to back it up.  I have heard of a growing heroin problem in the Valley.  

Amissville is a wonderful area.  That entire area west on 211 is among the most beautiful in the state. 

That area has really grown on me.  Really, wine country from Sky Meadows down to Madison Co. is nice territory. 

I think we can all agree that March 14 and 15 were historic in the cities/burbs. Especially considering the trend the last 30 years with losing on the margins. Multiple cold snow events that require shoveling and stick around 24 hours is pretty rare for March. 

Unfortunately this year....as Tracker has been very cryptically hinting at lately...it's over

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I think we can all agree that March 14 and 15 were historic in the cities/burbs. Especially considering the trend the last 30 years with losing on the margins. Multiple cold snow events that require shoveling and stick around 24 hours is pretty rare for March. 

Unfortunately this year....as Tracker has been very cryptically hinting at lately...it's over

Rather than unfortunately, I'd say fortunately. Let's bury our dead and move on. 

Get to it, Reaper. Aka, wxwatcher.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

No way this kid is going to cancel winter on Feb 18th. I'll enjoy the warm weather for now but no doubt long range will change. Still a solid 4 weeks left to root for snow in the cities and 6 weeks up this way. It's never too late to root for a snowstorm imo. I could care less if it melts 2 days later. Wet snows are the best anyway..imho. 

Yep, too soon to say difinitively it's over, at least around here.  A quick shot of cold air, a little wet storm running along the southern periphery and we have a nice 6 incher or more out of the blue.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The fruit tree farmers have to be worrying about such an early heat spike.

I've already accepted that my plum and pear will blossom early, then get hit by frost/freeze. That'd make it three years in a row of zapped blossoms.

I can only imagine how nervous I'd be if it were my livelihood!

More signs of non-winter in the DC area yesterday.

Rowing crews (and coxs) in the Potomac, along with four canoes, two motorboats (and the Pentagon putt-putt).

Eight fishermen spotted around Haines Point and further up the Potomac.

Not only runners, but a pack of them along with people with dogs, strollers, etc.

And bicyclists by the ton.

No wonder I saw only one flock of "Mall geese", getting chased off the Potomac by the canoes.

And the parking lot at the zoo closed by 915 am...

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived