Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I don't think there's much redeeming a winter like this one with March snow alone. The only way is if we were to get upwards of 30" of cold snow spread out over a couple weeks. Something like:

• Day 1: 4"
  • Day 5: 15"
  • Day 8: 3"
  • Day 12: 2"
  • Day 16: 8"
  • Day 19: Torch

Incredibly unrealistic, which basically means that there's no redeeming this winter. Even then, it would be incredibly frustrating to get into March and have to deal with extended cold, then the awfulness that would be the melt after the snowy period.

Your day 19 has a helluva chance of verifying.

Every time I watch Joe this guy is always excited about the future pattern. I mean of course more storms=more subscriptions but still, it's kinda ridiculous. In his latest video he hints at march being like 58 or 93. I mean come on is that really going to happen? Probably not. But he doesn't shy away from saying it.

16 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok so let's say a miracle happens and the pattern goes nuts in March. How much snow would it take to say A) that was awesome or B ) ok that wasn't so bad after all when looking back 10 years from now  

You can split up the snow anyways you want meaning if you say 20" it can come in two 10" storms or one 20"er or four 5s. And don't feel constrained by realistic expectations since this ain't happening. 

Keep in mind mine is biased by local climo 

A: 30" one 20" wet snow dump and 10" spread however. 

B: 15" spread however so long as one is 6"+

A winter can drag itself out of the depths by having something interesting happen.  10-11 was saved from being an all-time dud by Commutaggedon.  15-16 was obviously a one-storm affair.  So, my take is that it needs to be something special to remember it fondly.  Otherwise you are just looking at a dud of a winter with a snowy March.  So, that's why '93 comes up.  It is hard to describe how jealous I was of the east coast on that one and I'd love to see a bomb.  That could resurrect this winter.  That said, I wouldn't turn down a 20" storm either :)

5 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Which is why our chances of any change are bleak at best.

Yes odds for a big storm shut out in your area seem likely as it looks very stormy out here well into March.  

Colder pattern also returning after high snow levels and rain the next few days.  

Don't worry you will probably get cold raw rain storms in April and May .. ;)  

Go figure last fall I planned a California trip for mid February to escape DC winter.  I fly out in 2 days, just as the West Coast ridging is breaking down and another parade of storms is aimed at the state.... meanwhile an East Coast ridge builds producing sunshine and temps 65-70 here in DC.  And this is after a previous trip to southern CA last month, during which LA recorded rain on 5 out of the 6 days I was there, including the heaviest one-day rainfall some areas had seen in decades (Sunday, January 22).  It was sunny & mild right up until I arrived and sunny & mild once again as soon as I left, but not while I was there.  And now it appears to be repeating itself again for my 2nd California trip.

Oh, and I was in SF two years ago in February during their epic multi-year drought, but the weekend I was there just happened to be the wettest weekend of the winter, despite nothing but sunshine & warmer than normal temps before & after my visit.  I said it then and I'll say it again, if California wants to avoid future droughts, just pay me to visit whenever it starts to become too dry.

*sigh*

(yes I know this time of year is the rainy season for them, but somehow my trips seem to be timed perfectly to miss the various stretches of sunshine & warmth and instead coincide with the most unsettled periods)

-Debbie Downer

1 hour ago, ohwxguy said:

Go figure last fall I planned a California trip for mid February to escape DC winter.  I fly out in 2 days, just as the West Coast ridging is breaking down and another parade of storms is aimed at the state.... meanwhile an East Coast ridge builds producing sunshine and temps 65-70 here in DC.  And this is after a previous trip to southern CA last month, during which LA recorded rain on 5 out of the 6 days I was there, including the heaviest one-day rainfall some areas had seen in decades (Sunday, January 22).  It was sunny & mild right up until I arrived and sunny & mild once again as soon as I left, but not while I was there.  And now it appears to be repeating itself again for my 2nd California trip.

Oh, and I was in SF two years ago in February during their epic multi-year drought, but the weekend I was there just happened to be the wettest weekend of the winter, despite nothing but sunshine & warmer than normal temps before & after my visit.  I said it then and I'll say it again, if California wants to avoid future droughts, just pay me to visit whenever it starts to become too dry.

*sigh*

(yes I know this time of year is the rainy season for them, but somehow my trips seem to be timed perfectly to miss the various stretches of sunshine & warmth and instead coincide with the most unsettled periods)

-Debbie Downer

You could escape a DC winter by going to DC.

55 minutes ago, H2O said:

One thing this winter has done is cut down on how long it takes to get caught up every morning.  5 min tops just about every day.

right? I hadn't checked the forum since yesterday morning and had a page and a half of posts in the LR thread. Not even a page in the disc thread, and 10 posts or so here? good stuff. 

34 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Fixed

If you have half a brain there are still plenty of quality sources for news that still have integrity and editing standards.  And that is true on both sides. This whole discredit all the news movement seems a thinly veiled strategy to level the playing field by those that prefer "alternative news". Just because you don't like a fact doesn't make it fake. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If you have half a brain there are still plenty of quality sources for news that still have integrity and editing standards.  And that is true on both sides. This whole discredit all the news movement seems a thinly veiled strategy to level the playing field by those that prefer "alternative news". Just because you don't like a fact doesn't make it fake. 

I hope your not implying that I have half a brian, because it takes less than that to see agenda driven broadcasting hidden under a guise of integrity and said thin veil for many outlets.  I go to many outlets in search of the truth.  

Selective fact sharing is still one sided news.  Wow.

I'm not interested in a political convo, so I'm done.  You attacked Fox, I responded, because like with them...many ARE guilty.  and unfortunately they are mainstream meia outlets.  I have no bias for media.  I want the truth, but am smart enough to see thru other stuff.

Mods, dont worry, I'm done with this.

Nut

46 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Figures that mdsnowlover posted that link.  It makes sense now...his dickish attack on government workers.   He definitely poisoned the well with me for that slur.   

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived