Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah.  I welcome the end.  I'm interested in seeing what this place will be like if we string together 2 or 3 of these years.  Imagine not seeing more than an inch of snow for 2-3 straight winters?

I welcome the end of this misery too.  BUt you know what's going to be really funny and a kick in the nuts...is when blocking shows up toward the end of march into April.  

47 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah.  I welcome the end.  I'm interested in seeing what this place will be like if we string together 2 or 3 of these years.  Imagine not seeing more than an inch of snow for 2-3 straight winters?

That seems quite unlikely, but we did have a pretty rotten string from Commutaggedon in Jan. 2011 to Mar. 2013 in some places and Jan. 14 in others.

35 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

EPS ain't great. Except for this one member, e8, which is one of the most absurd things I've even seen on the EPS. I've included about 5 days here.....watch as the lows circle each other then finally merge. PS: I think the ECMWF goons will forgive me this one trespass

e8.gif

Ok so who do we have to sacrifice to the snow gods to make that happen???  Seriously ill get the alter ready!!!

I hate this talk about how "we've been above normal the last three years, so this is payback."

Bulls**t.

Every year is taken on its own merits. No year gives a damn about what happened the year before or the year before that. This year has sucked because this year has sucked - not because last year had a blizzard or we had two good winters prior to that. Enough already.

I second this post. $&@t happens - this year we just shoveled more of that than snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Fozz said:

Congrats for the new house, that's really awesome. Vermont is a wonderful place. Are you going to actually move there or just keep it as a secondary house?

It'll be a second house for now. I'd guess I'll retire there at some point. 

I'm not sure if anyone has been following what's going on with the Oroville Dam in CA, but I can see why officials are concerned.  Here's the 9-day total qpf from the 06z GFS along with a map of the watershed for the dam (outlined in red).

smvyz2r.png

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It felt really good to go mostly off the grid. I spent hours yesterday as the only person in sight on untouched trails. No music, no people, just the sound of wind and snow. I fell into a snow hole greater than 3', but this was the best snow depth I could measure.

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7436.JPG

Wait, I missed this....you went up for the storm?

1 hour ago, cae said:

I'm not sure if anyone has been following what's going on with the Oroville Dam in CA, but I can see why officials are concerned.  Here's the 9-day total qpf from the 06z GFS along with a map of the watershed for the dam (outlined in red).

smvyz2r.png

I've been following it closely.  Oroville Dam is the tallest dam in the US and this isn't surprising to see actually.  The spillway and auxiliary spillway were tagged as being structurally in need of repairs but ignored by the bean counters at the state.  I'm in charge of the plans for 28 significant and high hazard dams in my office and thankfully we don't have anything nearly as big this far east.

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I did. I brought the DC split to Portland  lol but still managed to see 16" get laid down. More run of the mill storm in the whole scheme of things but the cold and snow depth up there was very impressive. Most I've seen since Feb 2013.

I almost went.  I thought about Augusta, but they got screwed a bit.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It felt really good to go mostly off the grid. I spent hours yesterday as the only person in sight on untouched trails. No music, no people, just the sound of wind and snow. I fell into a snow hole greater than 3', but this was the best snow depth I could measure.

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7436.JPG

We live in a snow-hole.

Glad you were able to get away and enjoy a successful chase.

God I love Amazon!

"Condition: Used - Good - Dust jacket shows wear; pages are clean and tight. Signed by the author 'Howie' with a dedication to 'Wes'. Proceeds from the sale of this book will benefit the Lawrence, KS Public Library. "

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived