• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

I hate this talk about how "we've been above normal the last three years, so this is payback."

Bulls**t.

Every year is taken on its own merits. No year gives a damn about what happened the year before or the year before that. This year has sucked because this year has sucked - not because last year had a blizzard or we had two good winters prior to that. Enough already.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I hate this talk about how "we've been above normal the last three years, so this is payback."

Bulls**t.

Every year is taken on its own merits. No year gives a damn about what happened the year before or the year before that. This year has sucked because this year has sucked - not because last year had a blizzard or we had two good winters prior to that. Enough already.

True... but there is an average snowfall.  So when you have above average years... you need below average years to average the snowfall out.

I expected to be below normal in snowfall this year.  But I would never have imagined that this winter could end up warmer than last year with that strong Nino and a December that was 6 degrees above the previous warmest ever.  Looks like this year has a good shot to end up ahead of last year though.  As a snow and cold lover it's been a doubly disappointing season.

10 hours ago, mattie g said:

Bulls**t.

Agree with this!  The same thing happened after 2009-10 when we had a couple of bad years, there were some comments that we're getting "paid back" for the record-breaking snows and stuff like that.  Was pretty aggravating.  One could just have easily argued that 2009-10 was paying us back (in a good way) for a few crappy years before that!  It's not like the weather "keeps track".  This year sucked because it sucked, as you said.

9 hours ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

True... but there is an average snowfall.  So when you have above average years... you need below average years to average the snowfall out.

This is true, we go between below and above average years over the long term.  Sometimes you hit a good streak, perhaps, and some years you could hit a bad one.  There are many reasons this winter was lousy, and most people back last fall was saying that it didn't look like a good year.  Perhaps because of the weak ENSO signal (no real Pacific forcing; very weak Nina), perhaps the persistent lack of blocking, perhaps the ridging in the Pacific being too far west (EPO not the best for us).  Or some combination.  We've missed out on chances that have existed, which is just poor luck.  The fact that we're staring at a particularly "bottom level" winter is just worse luck.  It's not some grand scheme to screw us because we had a good run before this.  This winter hasn't exactly been good most anywhere, actually...it's not just here.

Now, on a lighter note!  Since we have high wind watches and/or advisories over the area for later tonight and tomorrow...at least we do that well!  You could say that this winter has gone from SUCK to BLOW! :lol:

8 hours ago, WVclimo said:

I expected to be below normal in snowfall this year.  But I would never have imagined that this winter could end up warmer than last year with that strong Nino and a December that was 6 degrees above the previous warmest ever.  Looks like this year has a good shot to end up ahead of last year though.  As a snow and cold lover it's been a doubly disappointing season.

No regrets moving from VA to the west 3-1/2 years ago / your misery is my reward so thank you for this historic winter.... which is far from over. 

You guys still get the monster storms like last year... while here it is more likely 4" at a time at my location.. mountains 20 miles west of me are a different story with more than 370" so far this season and 135" on the ground at the snow stake this morning.  

My Back Yard Winter of  2016-17   82-1/2"  / 26  Snow events of 1/2" or more  / Days of full snow cover days:  69 / Days with snow piles or patches 76

Picture of the 4' park fence by my house last month.  This morning that has settled and melted down to around 12" ( hard enough to walk on ) 

Second photo of my house after shoveling off the porch roof last month. 

Overturf Park By Our House.jpg

Porch after. .jpg

17 hours ago, das said:

So, I just bought a house in Charlotte, VT.  It's the "snow hole" of Vermont and they are way down this year like most of us in the east but are still at 40" with an additional 12"+ coming over the next few days.  It will be interesting to have a place where the baseline is just so much higher than central Maryland.

Also, I'm going to have to totally learn the local climatology and patterns.  Reading the AFD was like reading greek.  

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Had to put on my thinking cap from Met classes years ago to visualize the synoptic setup that leads to snow to the pretty distant west of a bombing, then vertically stacking low.  Gotta love a 500mb digging trough with a strengthening low level jet...

Congrats for the new house, that's really awesome. Vermont is a wonderful place. Are you going to actually move there or just keep it as a secondary house?

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Woke up to water in my basement from a leaking whole-house humidifier.  They are tearing up my flooring right now, but I think we got it early enough that the walls won't need to be cut up.  Still, what a lame way to spend a Sunday.

Ewww.  That sucks.  Hooray for unexpected expensive bills.  

13 hours ago, snownut said:

No regrets moving from VA to the west 3-1/2 years ago / your misery is my reward so thank you for this historic winter.... which is far from over. 

You guys still get the monster storms like last year... while here it is more likely 4" at a time at my location.. mountains 20 miles west of me are a different story with more than 370" so far this season and 135" on the ground at the snow stake this morning.  

My Back Yard Winter of  2016-17   82-1/2"  / 26  Snow events of 1/2" or more  / Days of full snow cover days:  69 / Days with snow piles or patches 76

Picture of the 4' park fence by my house last month.  This morning that has settled and melted down to around 12" ( hard enough to walk on ) 

Second photo of my house after shoveling off the porch roof last month. 

Overturf Park By Our House.jpg

Porch after. .jpg

Where are you?

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, das said:

So, I just bought a house in Charlotte, VT.  It's the "snow hole" of Vermont and they are way down this year like most of us in the east but are still at 40" with an additional 12"+ coming over the next few days.  It will be interesting to have a place where the baseline is just so much higher than central Maryland.

Also, I'm going to have to totally learn the local climatology and patterns.  Reading the AFD was like reading greek.  

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Had to put on my thinking cap from Met classes years ago to visualize the synoptic setup that leads to snow to the pretty distant west of a bombing, then vertically stacking low.  Gotta love a 500mb digging trough with a strengthening low level jet...

Congrats. There are worse snow holes, but in Northern VT, yes probably one of the least snowier spots. BTV averages about 80" per year and you are just south a little south of there, so maybe a smidge less for your area, but probably pretty close. They pulled probably 12-15" this last storm.

Study up on your Froude Numbers:)

http://www.weather.gov/btv/froude

Such a hollow feeling this year. I'd settle for an inch. A damn inch rest of the year. I am not ready for spring/summer because it feels like we didn't have a winter.

I think that horrible bust last week made it worse and wet my appetite for something.

Worse is its Feb 13th, and we all know its over, but now we have a good 2-3 months for even spring to arrive. Ugh.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived