Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'm going to be sleeping like a baby until my normal time.  It's going to be after the super thump (tm).  This is how exciting i expect it to be.

I'm patient, but also zen af about all this.  Winter is already done to me.  

I've been out for pretty much the last 48 hours, but fully embraced failure about 24 hours ago. It's made this so much easier. And knowing it's going to be awesome on Sunday helps a ton.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Yea, being just outside of the line when the NE gets pummeled is something all too common and always annoying. 

Yup. And as we all know, unless it's an all-time crazy type winter like 09/10, Boston will cash in more often than us in winter. For this winter in particular, we needed to start seeing snow fall again in the I-95 corridor to know coastal lows are back. If it takes 3 storms for Boston for us to get our only decent 1 this season, I can accept that. 

What leaves me less calm is the hot streak that NYC is on, lol. For a site that only averaged 2" over IAD a season in the past, their "luck" is almost rage causing, lol. Even last season-- 8-12" forecast turned to their all-time biggest snowfall (27.5") during what was supposed to be a Mid-Atlantic subforum special. :)

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

At this rate, I'm not even sure I flip to snow by the time precip shuts off.  

I was fairly encouraged by the Euro runs.  I thought 1" was at least plausible for my location.  I don't think that any longer.  I too don't think I will flip to snow.  But at least I won't have to stay up all night.  It will snow again someday.  Just have to wait for that day.

14 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Yup. And as we all know, unless it's an all-time crazy type winter like 09/10, Boston will cash in more often than us in winter. For this winter in particular, we needed to start seeing snow fall again in the I-95 corridor to know coastal lows are back. If it takes 3 storms for Boston for us to get our only decent 1 this season, I can accept that. 

What leaves me less calm is the hot streak that NYC is on, lol. For a site that only averaged 2" over IAD a season in the past, their "luck" is almost rage causing, lol. Even last season-- 8-12" forecast turned to their all-time biggest snowfall (27.5") during what was supposed to be a Mid-Atlantic subforum special. :)

NYC had bad luck in the late 20th century, and it didn't really make sense for them to barely average more snow than Philly while Hartford and Boston got so much more. I think from 2000 onwards, they reverted back to the norm, though I think it's been overdone the other way around.

What's really maddening about NYC is if you're in a place like Williamsport which is supposed to average more snow than NYC, but has been a lot less interesting for big storms since 2000.

I was never "in" on this one which changes the emotional investment calculation.  Same as 12/26/10.  Others look back at that one as an all-time bust, but I never bought in.  3/6/13 and Feb. '06 are the ones that stick in my craw.

Honestly, and I know I'm saying this before the event and it can get bumped, but this was one of the easiest forecasts for a D.C. storm that I can remember.  The cold air rushing in just before the precip shuts off is classic.

I used to chase storms like this to the bitter end...eagerly waiting for each model suite with the hope that it would start trending the right way...looking for any shred of hope...but they just kept slipping away leaving me bitter as the first raindrop hits my yard. 

Go through that cycle enough times and you eventually learn when to just let it go in advance. Today pretty much went exactly as I expected. This is a classic climo suck fest storm. The northern tier is in trouble now. 0z is not going to be kind to anyone in our sub. 

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I was never "in" on this one which changes the emotional investment calculation.  Same as 12/26/10.  Others look back at that one as an all-time bust, but I never bought in.  3/6/13 and Feb. '06 are the ones that stick in my craw.

Honestly, and I know I'm saying this before the event and it can get bumped, but this was one of the easiest forecasts for a D.C. storm that I can remember.  The cold air rushing in just before the precip shuts off is classic.

I was never into this one either. Always felt it was a 2-4 deal for places like Westminster. That still seems about right. Funny you mention the Boxing day storm. I was also very skeptical of that storm and its evolution. It just smelled like a screw job. As it turned out I lucked out and ended up on the western edge, and managed 5". But that was less than half of what was forecast.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I used to chase storms like this to the bitter end...eagerly waiting for each model suite with the hope that it would start trending the right way...looking for any shred of hope...but they just kept slipping away leaving me bitter as the first raindrop hits my yard. 

Go through that cycle enough times and you eventually learn when to just let it go in advance. Today pretty much went exactly as I expected. This is a classic climo suck fest storm. The northern tier is in trouble now. 0z is not going to be kind to anyone in our sub. 

You ain't kiddin. Last 3 runs of the 3k nam went from 9" to 5" to 2" here. Lol

12 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

All of this I agree with, except one point of curiosity: Can you explain what you mean about 2/06? 

I tried to figure it out but couldn't :)

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

me too.

I haven't looked at anything since the GFS, nor do I plan to. It's quite the dynamic system, and even if better stuff sets up north, I remain hopeful the cold air will get here 3-4am and we get a few inches out of it. 

This one is not too hard to swallow. Come on it was 75 degrees for the last two days. A snow storm in the making it was not. Certainly not here at our latitude. We lose more than we win that's for sure. I'm used to it. Im a New York Jet fan. So getting horse kicked in the chops is nothing new. Still hope to see some missiles flying tomorrow morning but not really expecting anything here. Good luck to all.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've completely fallen off the wagon and been crushed by the wheels. When I moved here, I was content with knowing that it never snowed. Then we had wall to wall winter in 2013-14. I got my first whiff of the running exhaust pipe in 2014-15, when we had three @_#$@I#U% in a row while New England rocked. I learned some hard lessons there. 

I was proud of myself going through 15-16. Even after the December megatorch I was steady. 

This year? I can't do the LR garbage, but for the short term stuff I've been all in. Not like I've had much of a choice. To lose a storm to our south and then lose what will probably be an epic storm to the north...I don't even know. Probably life problems putting me more on edge than I otherwise would be, but this is by far the worst winter I've ever lived. Unless we pull a miracle, it ain't getting better anytime soon. 

We all have the same sickness. That's why were here right?? I'm sure we'll get ours...in 2018. :weep:

I have never been so hopeful and happy about accumulating snow, as in a half inch of slush, as I am right now.

Its cloudy and freezing cold here in Dale City with 54/44. Winds are northerly at 2 mph. Most of the time it is calm, with hardly any change in airmass.

This is going to be one of the best snowstorms in my entire life!!!!!

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've completely fallen off the wagon and been crushed by the wheels. When I moved here, I was content with knowing that it never snowed. Then we had wall to wall winter in 2013-14. I got my first whiff of the running exhaust pipe in 2014-15, when we had three @_#$@I#U% in a row while New England rocked. I learned some hard lessons there. 

I was proud of myself going through 15-16. Even after the December megatorch I was steady. 

This year? I can't do the LR garbage, but for the short term stuff I've been all in. Not like I've had much of a choice. To lose a storm to our south and then lose what will probably be an epic storm to the north...I don't even know. Probably life problems putting me more on edge than I otherwise would be, but this is by far the worst winter I've ever lived. Unless we pull a miracle, it ain't getting better anytime soon. 

We ARE going to get snow here in DC, in VA, in MD and in W VA. NEVER say never in February, or even into mid March. I have been living here in Dale City since 1967. Hell yeah I know I'm old, old and experienced enough to know we get snow in late season.

This is a SnowTown! Its gonna snow this month. Get those shovels ready. work out every day. You're gonna need it.

We are gonna get Demolished!

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived