Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2017 at 10:26 PM, psuhoffman said:

I had one 3" event early Jan that was like the typical nickel and dime storms we get regularly up here even in a bad winter. I did keep snowcover for 5 days from that though so at least it's something. But the lack of anything else at all has made this season especially abnormal up here. In 122 years of records from coops in my area there were only 3 years like this. 1951, 1973, and 2002.  All the other more typical crap years like 2008 or 2012 we clawed our way close to 20" up here with nickel and dime stuff.

As for why that's happened I don't know. We had long stretches where the pattern was so awful there was no hope even here. But I think the bigger problem imo was that we had several low level chances during mediocre patterns where a 1-2 degree break we could have had 2-3" easily. But every one broke warm. There were about 5 storms where we had a rain snow mix and 2 degrees colder and it was a 2-4" snow. Those are the storms that usually break our way to get us the higher climo eve in crap years but this year didn't. 

That said march can be a big month up here so it's still possible we back door our way to a 15-20" season.  Or it could be 1925. We had less snow here through feb 10 that year then got 54" from feb 10 on including 33" in march and a 10" storm in April. 

Your pretty much describing here. Maybe that's why I am more relaxed about waiting for the snow in general. I know it probably will come eventually. And if it's a 1/30 year that it doesn't I'm 99.9% assured the next year will deliver.  DC is just too far but Baltimore isn't that bad. 35 miles about. An hour drive with traffic. Assuming you leave before the worst of rush hour hits. I'm surprised more Baltimore snow weenies don't come up here.  There is 30 acres for sale next door to me. Could build a whole snow weenie community.  Finance a snow gun and make a tubing run down the hill!  Lol. Think about it. 

Just to convince you some stats. It's not a magic snow magnet. We don't have snow cover all the time. But a bad year up here is typically around 20". To put it in comparison we average slightly more then Chicago, about 6" more then New Haven CT and about a foot more then New York City.  

We get over 30" 61% of the time.  Over 25" 71%, over 20" 83% and over 15" 93%. only 3 times in 122 years did we have less then 10"  We have had 85 10"+ storms in 122 years  8 20"+ and 4 30"+  And in 122 years only 7 times did we not have at least a 5"+ snowstorm.  

So....if you already live in Maryland for only another hour of driving you too could have the climate of southern New England. Seriously it takes the edge off the chase knowing the payoff is probably coming sooner rather then later most years. 

Sounds like a really cool place to live if you want snow and cold, but I'm not so sure that commuting one hour each way for the whole year is worth it to most people. I've read that commuting is a great source of stress and harms people's health in the long run, and that people don't really get used to it like they get used to a lot of other adversities.

I'm not sure if all of that is worth having a good snowfall average. I guess it is for diehard snow weenies, and I might fall into that category, but I'm just not sure. It certainly makes most snowstorms a lot more fun though, knowing that you'll be cold enough in most marginal events and be in a favored spot for mesoscale bands because of the terrain, not to mention the landscape is wonderful. It's a hard choice to make since I love snow and hate jammed commutes.

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

61 in columbia.  this is one of those events where you keep expectations low and whatever happens happens.  really no need to get frustrated imo.  any snow is a bonus after the spring weather this week.

I'm not gonna lie, it's harder to be content with a dusting when Philly and NYC are getting crushed, and when there's been almost no snow this season.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I'm not gonna lie, it's harder to be content with a dusting when Philly and NYC are getting crushed, and when there's been almost no snow this season.

it's a stunning season so far.  i'm in awe at our lack of snow tbh.  it's unreal.  i haven't given up, but at this point, any snow is like "whoa, what's that". lol.  this is really as close to a shutout as you can get here.  i'm hoping tomorrow morning surprises.  if it doesn't, then maybe we can pull a feb 87 out of our arses later this month.

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

NWS has a lot of confidence. Snowfall potential a cool 0 - 8" for most of us.

IMG_0596.JPGP

After the 18z runs and warmer temps today, I don't see us having even the slightest chance of 8". Maybe 4" at the very most if everything from now on goes perfectly right, which is a really tall order.

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Was it ever not a catastrophe for you? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I legitimately think you have a good chance of 6"+.  You're in the ideal position for this one.  Farther east so you can take advantage of some of the dynamics and north enough/high enough to be colder.  I'm going to be real jealous of my family in Bel Air tomorrow I think.  

31 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

He!! no! I'm hoping for a beautiful three hours of bedlam in the morning.

Oh good. Glad the chance is still there. 

22 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I legitimately think you have a good chance of 6"+.  You're in the ideal position for this one.  Farther east so you can take advantage of some of the dynamics and north enough/high enough to be colder.  I'm going to be real jealous of my family in Bel Air tomorrow I think.  

Oh wow, wasn't expecting it to be that good up here. 3" is my benchmark. 

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

THE ****** ******* EUropEAN MODEL LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!

:lmao: 

I need more of that. Keep it coming.

Sorry buddy :( 

Walking out of work this afternoon reminded me of the afternoon before the 93 Superstorm. I was walking back to my car from a day of classes at UMCP and I thought to myself that there was no way it was going to snow. I felt pretty relieved when I got in the car and turned on WTOP to find out it was still a go.

Good omen.

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Walking out of work this afternoon reminded me of the afternoon before the 93 Superstorm. I was walking back to my car from a day of classes at UMCP and I thought to myself that there was no way it was going to snow. I felt pretty relieved when I got in the car and turned on WTOP to find out it was still a go.

Good omen.

Perhaps a good omen but a terrible storm for comparison.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived