Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Just once, in one of these marginal events, I want to wake up and look out my window and see everything white and the changeover like 3-4 hours early.

We can get over performers in marginal events. But when the temperature has to fall 30 degrees just to get to the point where splatty flakes could fall, thats a different ballgame.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You're a better person than I am. If I fail, I want everyone to fail. :devilsmiley:

I'll probably stay out of the obs thread until after everything is said and done. All I ask is for bannings for those outside our forum who post obs and pictures of their snow. F them.

Ha not really. I have had 7.2" so far. Would be a different story if I was sitting at an inch or less. ;)

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

So i can put you on the dead list then? We know what's happening 9 days from now.

If you want. I'll say, though, that I'm not panicked - just frustrated. I do admit to getting testy when we're in situations like tonight's, even if I'll be happier come the weekend when there's no melting in my hood.

Too far south to take advantage of the cold advection

Too far west to take advantage of the explosive development. 

Too far east to take advantage of elevation.

Too far north to give up. 

It'll be interesting to see if I can move to the bottom of the seasonal snow list after tonight. Sitting at 1.2" for the year. 

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

For your house?

No, for Harrisburg. My house isn't an official station and my boss "doesn't trust my measuring skills" aka, thinks I might cheat. 

Harrisburg will see more than BWI, thus we picked there instead. 

1 minute ago, Amped said:

I can't believe some peoples entire winter comes down to weather or not they get their promised 1" of snow tomorrow.  My head will explode if I hear the word bust 500 times because the 1" of snow the models were showing with 34f temps didn't pan out.

Then why are you here posting about it?

1 minute ago, caviman2201 said:

This subforum gets more zeroed in on DCA and its immediate burbs more and more every day.  Lot of people just act like everyone in this sub is in a box between IAD, Dale City, Wheaton and Bowie.  Anything good that doesn't happen in that area is considered meh or irrelevant.  This isn't the DC sub.

/rant

It's true because that's where most posters are from. You also have your groups of posters who are focused only on the areas around BWI or out in the northern I-81 corridor or northern Maryland, etc.

And let's not get started on the poor folks in SE VA or SE Maryland or the southern Eastern Shore.

In this area, we don't have the luxury of worrying about whether we'll get 30" or 70" in a season - it's more like whether we'll get 5" or 50" - thus each event is dear and backyards are watched religiously. You can't blame DC folks for caring more for their backyards than they do for someone in another area of this sub-forum (or somewhere in PA), especially in a year like this one and for an event which looks to leave so many posters in the "have-nots" group. It is what it is.

Anyone else have a feeling this storm is going to bust a la March 2013 in Philly and maybe NY? NY might be okay, but it seems like the 6-12" for Philly requires heavy snow plus a quick changeover. Not something you can always count on. Some of the snow depth maps don't look good for them either. Whatever the case, Boston will enjoy their 8-12.

1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

Anyone else have a feeling this storm is going to bust a la March 2013 in Philly and maybe NY? NY might be okay, but it seems like the 6-12" for Philly requires heavy snow plus a quick changeover. Not something you can always count on. Some of the snow depth maps don't look good for them either. Whatever the case, Boston will enjoy their 8-12.

I don't think philly is safe.  It's almost 70 there right now too.  Could go either way for them.  I think central NJ up through SNE should be good to go.  

10 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

Philly isn't out of the woods, I hope New York gets screwed royally, and I have every reason to assume that Boston will get crushed.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:26 PM, psuhoffman said:

I had one 3" event early Jan that was like the typical nickel and dime storms we get regularly up here even in a bad winter. I did keep snowcover for 5 days from that though so at least it's something. But the lack of anything else at all has made this season especially abnormal up here. In 122 years of records from coops in my area there were only 3 years like this. 1951, 1973, and 2002.  All the other more typical crap years like 2008 or 2012 we clawed our way close to 20" up here with nickel and dime stuff.

As for why that's happened I don't know. We had long stretches where the pattern was so awful there was no hope even here. But I think the bigger problem imo was that we had several low level chances during mediocre patterns where a 1-2 degree break we could have had 2-3" easily. But every one broke warm. There were about 5 storms where we had a rain snow mix and 2 degrees colder and it was a 2-4" snow. Those are the storms that usually break our way to get us the higher climo eve in crap years but this year didn't. 

That said march can be a big month up here so it's still possible we back door our way to a 15-20" season.  Or it could be 1925. We had less snow here through feb 10 that year then got 54" from feb 10 on including 33" in march and a 10" storm in April. 

Your pretty much describing here. Maybe that's why I am more relaxed about waiting for the snow in general. I know it probably will come eventually. And if it's a 1/30 year that it doesn't I'm 99.9% assured the next year will deliver.  DC is just too far but Baltimore isn't that bad. 35 miles about. An hour drive with traffic. Assuming you leave before the worst of rush hour hits. I'm surprised more Baltimore snow weenies don't come up here.  There is 30 acres for sale next door to me. Could build a whole snow weenie community.  Finance a snow gun and make a tubing run down the hill!  Lol. Think about it. 

Just to convince you some stats. It's not a magic snow magnet. We don't have snow cover all the time. But a bad year up here is typically around 20". To put it in comparison we average slightly more then Chicago, about 6" more then New Haven CT and about a foot more then New York City.  

We get over 30" 61% of the time.  Over 25" 71%, over 20" 83% and over 15" 93%. only 3 times in 122 years did we have less then 10"  We have had 85 10"+ storms in 122 years  8 20"+ and 4 30"+  And in 122 years only 7 times did we not have at least a 5"+ snowstorm.  

So....if you already live in Maryland for only another hour of driving you too could have the climate of southern New England. Seriously it takes the edge off the chase knowing the payoff is probably coming sooner rather then later most years. 

yea, my buddy in frederick would constanty try to convince me to move north.  not sure if frederick would be that much better but certainly north MD or south PA.  the furthest north i've lived in this area is montgomery village and even that is noticeably better than dc.  was here for PD2 and glad i was.  

i haven't had much time to track this event this week.  work has been hectic, but this seems like one where you'd want to be in north md.  it's like spring outside.  no way is this going to affect the roads here.  if it does, i'd be shocked, and i'm trying to be as objective as possible.  we can do 50s to snow, but 70 to snow and stickage would be a stunner here.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived