Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

6 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's happened to our neighbor when we lived in PA.  Right to work state.  They took off for a sick kid and were fired that Friday.  She was a assistant at a Catholic school in Gettysburg.  

Pennsylvania technically isn't a right to work state, but that's not saying too much since this state is basically completely backward in every aspect. I live in mountain hick central. Compared to what people from MD & NOVA are used to, this region is basically feral and inept on just about every level imaginable. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seasonal forecasting is like predicting the stock market.

I am starting a new index using my daughters: Cassia and Calla's Winter Index (CCWI).  cassia (now 3 years old) will choose cold or warm and Calla (1 yo) will choose wet or dry.  If they dont answer in a reasonable period of time I will take that to mean normal.  I will monitor their progress vs. the pros, lol.

BTW just asked her if it's gonna snow anymore this winter and she said, without looking at any models "It's not gonna snow" - so there ya have it - take that AO NAO SAI QBO PNA WAR MJO

13 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Looks like a 3 year old on a sugar high with an Etch-A-Sketch

This one is less comical but equally awful (assuming the better guidance isn't all horribly wrong).  This is the GGEM.  Its interesting looking at the different MJO projections and how awful some of these less reliable models are how glaring their issues are.  Tropical forcing is a fairly significant piece of the puzzle so screwing that up so badly is likely a major problem with a deterministic guidance model. 

canada.gif

Just looked at the forecast early next week after a couple days of taking a breather...Phineas' post is right...the cold air just hasn't been here on a consistent basis...forget about the storms part.  Pretty surprising Winter so far.  Thought we'd get something by now, but it just doesn't want to snow this year.  

Also...regarding the fun conversations the other day, after having a couple days break from the blogo/forumo-sphere, I realized I do need to stop reacting to little things.  I stand by what I said, but it doesn't really accomplish anything.  I don't like when people get in my way or try to put me down, but that's a problem.  I need to do better at ignoring.  Maybe eurojosh is right...the ignore feature might be a good thing for me, who knows.  I just don't like snide remarks.  Like, i don't know you, lol...that's why I don't do it.  Offline, yea, I'll let someone know what's up if they're being rude or making a meaningless remark, but online...like, I shouldn't care.  I definitely should not be getting worked up over that type of crap.  I need to work on that.  Anyway, apologies if I made a scene.  I meant what I said, but there's better ways to say it.  Now...back to weather...you know, the reason this board exists and stuff.

Oh, and one more thing...the other day I walk out of work and this stranger just randomly said something like "Man, I love this weather...February and no snow yet...love it."  I'm thinking to myself, yea, I won't tell him about this forum. lol

22 hours ago, jonjon said:

Love Aslin, we just bought their old keg cleaner for our brewery.

Also love the NE style hop-juice IPAs.  We brew an IPA and pale ale in the same vein.

Looks like that one could use some carbonation . . .

That's awesome that you've got a connection of sorts to Aslin. They're making some wildly awesome beers. Their NE IPAs are off-the-charts good, but their Berliners and Goses are really good, too. And Macarooned is fantastic.

I actually like fairly low carbonation in hoppy beers. Maybe it's my preference for softer beers that leads me that way. I'll finally be kegging soon,so I'll finally be able to control carbonation unlike before. And I'll ask be able to limit O2 exposure during the packaging process, which can only help with the hoppiness.

I'd love to get out your way and stop by the brewery. Maybe an overnight win the wife and kid is in order...

3 hours ago, 87storms said:

Just looked at the forecast early next week after a couple days of taking a breather...Phineas' post is right...the cold air just hasn't been here on a consistent basis...forget about the storms part.  Pretty surprising Winter so far.  Thought we'd get something by now, but it just doesn't want to snow this year.  

Also...regarding the fun conversations the other day, after having a couple days break from the blogo/forumo-sphere, I realized I do need to stop reacting to little things.  I stand by what I said, but it doesn't really accomplish anything.  I don't like when people get in my way or try to put me down, but that's a problem.  I need to do better at ignoring.  Maybe eurojosh is right...the ignore feature might be a good thing for me, who knows.  I just don't like snide remarks.  Like, i don't know you, lol...that's why I don't do it.  Offline, yea, I'll let someone know what's up if they're being rude or making a meaningless remark, but online...like, I shouldn't care.  I definitely should not be getting worked up over that type of crap.  I need to work on that.  Anyway, apologies if I made a scene.  I meant what I said, but there's better ways to say it.  Now...back to weather...you know, the reason this board exists and stuff.

Oh, and one more thing...the other day I walk out of work and this stranger just randomly said something like "Man, I love this weather...February and no snow yet...love it."  I'm thinking to myself, yea, I won't tell him about this forum. lol

You should have kicked him in the d**k.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm sure you're joking and I rarely wear my big coat but back in mid December I had to work outside and the high was 17 with 30 mph gusts..that wind cuts right through me man - I was hating life and I typically embrace the cold. I think I've recorded teens for highs 4 times this year. 

Was away fly-fishing in Patagonia then... But you're right my cutoff is low 20s for my thick fleece hoodie. Was that even winter or still technically fall?

15 hours ago, 87storms said:

lol he seemed a little odd.  I just chuckled and walked off.  Got me thinking tho...I don't like the cold but this non snow bs is not my thing.  I need a storm and so does my jeep.

You sure that guy wasn't WxWatcher007 trying to goad you into giving in and jumping?  I see he's on the lookout for more names to add! :lol:

3 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@showmethesnow "Shoveling 3" at 8pm? Were you in Pikesville at the time? Don't even think I had even seen any snow in the air by the time I went to bed at 8 or 9. Only started snowing up my way when the low exploded off the coast later that night."

I was living in Upper Marlboro.

That explains it. Up my way, Balt city and north, we were never really in the running for seeing anything from the low sliding under us in the afternoon and evening. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived