• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Clouds - 2017

bowtie`

Getting an early start on the thread this year. Still probably two more months before I will be able to get out with any regularity. But I might as well start while the getting it good. As usual I will be deleteing the 2016 thread to make room for this one as I go along.

This afternoon, some quilted gravity waves?

7V2A2517.JPG

The sunset tried to be decent. I will give it a B minus just for the attempt...

7V2A2568.JPG

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After work, I raced home, grabbed the camera and then raced out to the pond to try and image the sunset.  While I am still too late to get the actual sunset, I am able to image some of the post sunset color.

What it looked like as the reds started to get cranking...

7V2A2909.JPG

Some of the rich colors, just as all the color is starting to depart to the west. I also tried to smooth out the water as much as possible by stopping the lens down as far as it would go, lowering the ISO as far as it would go. Was able to get an exposure of 2 seconds here. It helped but just a little bit...

7V2A2977.JPG

Another attempt for the sunset this evening. I am still blowing out the yellows though. Think I have got the reds and oranges all figured out but these pesky yellows are really giving me grief. And I was even using the six images average and feathering like crazy with the GND.

Greatest extent of color...

7V2A3674.thumb.JPG.03eaf59d73ff57e2135236ea7542caff.JPG

Best dynamics of color...

7V2A3678.thumb.JPG.bd11a49262904228cbdd0c05fb760280.JPG

On the way home from dinner I saw the lake effect clouds getting ripped apart as the Sun set and they lost the daytime heating. Only had time to grab the camera and run outside the front door, throw the tripod up, level the camera and fire off five images before the color left the sky. So this is all a rush, rush, bang, bang job.

7V2A3746.thumb.JPG.be29e3ea7b8ed64e394260cc38ed9410.JPG

Plenty of clouds last night but it really never really took off and got dramatic like I would have liked it. But that is the atmosphere for you. It will do what it wants to do. This image looks a little odd because I was using the GND upside down. The dark side on the bottom. Makes for a bit of a different look.

7V2A4043.thumb.JPG.658861a2214a02b1c688037af92c0ca0.JPG

Archived