SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone asked about total snowfall on 12Z Euro.  Looks like the 2" line goes from about Hartford to Providence to Plymouth.  General 2-4" for Mass.  Few 6" spots in the Berkshires and SW NH.

By the way I subscribed to Weatherbell last year.  Great site.  Love the Euro maps.   Now I don't have to constantly ask "how much in my backyard" questions....

13 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Someone asked about total snowfall on 12Z Euro.  Looks like the 2" line goes from about Hartford to Providence to Plymouth.  General 2-4" for Mass.  Few 6" spots in the Berkshires and SW NH.

By the way I subscribed to Weatherbell last year.  Great site.  Love the Euro maps.   Now I don't have to constantly ask "how much in my backyard" questions....

How much for Nashua?

21 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I'm no MET...but a shift of 200 miles west and stronger, is a good recipe for a warmer overall solution for the most part.

And that much of a shift(200 miles) in one run, is why this is just another one of several possibilities on the table.  (pointing out the obvious there no doubt) 

Fact.

6 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Euro 12z sfc temps / dew pts are 1 to 2 degrees colder/lower across western / northern CT Tuesday at 12z compared to 00z run.

This is what I was afraid of...that the higher resolution products might reveal a different BL resistance/layout... 

I've seen the Euro do this around this sort of 120 hour lead time range.  It "polarizes" the field toward extremeness...having bigger intra-systemic temperature gradients.  

Frankly, the whole run appears like it could flatten out in next cycle(s) - least it wouldn't shock me.  The reason for that thinking is that the whole of the circulation construct is more progressive with the western ridge being more midland in amplitude once that thing comes east.  hm.

5 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Euro 12z sfc temps / dew pts are 1 to 2 degrees colder/lower across western / northern CT Tuesday at 12z compared to 00z run.

Yeah but the difference is dynamics all around so the result is less qpf and quicker warming to misery mist, but still a mess near the Mass border. 

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is what I was afraid of...that the higher resolution products might reveal a different BL resistance/layout... 

I've seen the Euro do this around this sort of 120 hour lead time range.  It "polarizes" the field toward extremeness...having bigger intra-systemic temperature gradients.  

Frankly, the whole run appears like it could flatten out in next cycle(s) - least it wouldn't shock me.  The reason for that thinking is that the whole of the circulation construct is more progressive with the western ridge being more midland in amplitude once that thing comes east.  hm.

The 500 chart is getting less wound up as we get closer...obviously there are still run to run semantic details, but we're starting to see some vort max now well SE of the main shortwave....that is always kind of a red flag for a secondary sfc reflection on the coast...a triple point anyway if not a full-on secondary. It's fighting the better forcing to the west over the midwest (as you noted...primary actually went west of 00z), but we've seen this game play out before where initially what looked like some snow/ice to a 45F rain turns into a 6-8" thump followed by glaze and dryslot with the sfc warm front never penetrating N of PVD-HVN line...12/16/07 was like that...we sort of saw more vorticity appearing in the waning days on the southeast side of the longwave trough which ended up faciliating a faster secondary reflection as the primary was ripping up into Cleveland. To a lesser extent 12/9/09 was like that too.

Who knows what happens with this one...there's plenty of imperfection to overcome, but there's signs of a more wintry bias.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 500 chart is getting less wound up as we get closer...obviously there are still run to run semantic details, but we're starting to see some vort max now well SE of the main shortwave....that is always kind of a red flag for a secondary sfc reflection on the coast...a triple point anyway if not a full-on secondary. It's fighting the better forcing to the west over the midwest (as you noted...primary actually went west of 00z), but we've seen this game play out before where initially what looked like some snow/ice to a 45F rain turns into a 6-8" thump followed by glaze and dryslot with the sfc warm front never penetrating N of PVD-HVN line...12/16/07 was like that...we sort of saw more vorticity appearing in the waning days on the southeast side of the longwave trough which ended up faciliating a faster secondary reflection as the primary was ripping up into Cleveland. To a lesser extent 12/9/09 was like that too.

Who knows what happens with this one...there's plenty of imperfection to overcome, but there's signs of a more wintry bias.

Pretty much how I'm seeing things - yeah..

I just don't like the low spatial amplitude while being high wind velocity amplitude of the whole circulation from coast to coast, for bringing systems into the Lakes.  

Suppose it could happen that way (head scratch) but that seems physically less likely ...  Yet, simultaneously we have to balance a positive NAO which isn't exactly against western turners...  weird conundrum. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The gist of this seems those that were forecasting snow to ice to gusts to 65 and temps in the 60's yesterday will likely bust.. and that it's turning into a moderate impact winter storm for the 6 state region with little warming  

Euro has mid 50s on Wednesday. 

Archived