joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah elevation is usually good for ice in New England as long as winds are out of N or NE...our cold tends to max out in the 900-950mb layer so we frequently see elevation ice storms. But when you get winds out of the S or SE, that's when the valleys will keep the cold longer.

Weird extended range charts... 

GEFs PNA gone wild with +PNA ... all the way to some + 4 SD!  

Yet the weakening of the EPO blocking seems to be the entire impetus to the operational GFS ...(the Euro's been doing it too; although I haven't seen it's EPS family of members).  It achieves some semblance of western ridging while simultaneously neutralizing any winter thickness over the lower 48 states. Damn spring like for everyone save NE ...but really weak sauce cold here though.  Hmm. 

I dunno - I don't trust a + 4 SD PNA (+2 at CPC) any more than a frog does a scorpion to deliver laissez faire blue bird 65 F supporting thickness everywhere like that in February, and wonder when the other shoe falls.  interesting.

Yeah ...compared to 00z, this Euro run appears to have bumped back west slightly with most aspects of this, and also ...appears more willing to slip the lead-side low level polar high pressure quicker toward the east. This run re-introduces more chance for at least tainted warmer air to get inland.  

Interesting... I thought we had more chance to go further east with everything ...namely because the western heights, post the system's ejection east, refused to bulge more.  

So...I was thinking that conserving longitude and being flatter with the system's total trajectory could ensue with any future corrections. 

The opposite is happening on this run.  Head scratcher.  

In any event, still some early snow/mix/ice ...but it's a matter of whether transitions to more ice or just cool rains prior to main fropa. Although the Euro run would probably waft some balmy air briefly into SE zones. 

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Euro trending warmer?

Suprising.....

it's warmer ---.... there'll be some interpretive wrangling and spinning but, the previous solution was a little weaker and over Rochester NY; comparing, now it's a little stronger and over Detroit.  

the combination of (slightly west+slightly stronger)/2 = warmer for us...in terms of the total cyclone model.  

It also shows up as a bit less obvious triple pointing, and the appearance of almost total scouring out in the interior...say S of rt 2. Looks like they get into cloud streets and relatively mild mist for a couple hours prior to the main front. 

But, ...you know, 120 hours?  whatever -

Looks like it's coming back to earth on the extended range warming...  I opined earlier that it was incongruous for a strong positive GEF's PNA (again ...not having seen the EPS - still..there is some value in cross-guidance species eval).

anyway, went from a spring like taste across three cycles to la-la mix look.  

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Tip says you're Wrong....It's warmer.

But again..it will change in 11 hours..so whatever.

Well wait - to be fair ...

he/others may have access to finer meshed products. 

I'm going by the freebies at PSU E-walls on that ... and synoptically/conceptually, the low went west by a about 200 mile or so, and appeared slightly stronger surface and aloft while doing so. 

Given those products, that would argue warmer over all. However, there may be better resolution products that show more front side BL resistance than is readily observable given those free products.  

Archived