Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper Jan 31st 2017 discussion

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

it's generally been dry.  Particular on weak events. It does okay  on QPF for stronger systems

It has been, the nam and gfs do better in small events. Unfortunately we have not had any major events so far this year, but I did notice in recent years the euro is good with the large events.

Through 21Z if you look at the 12Z models all of them were too slow and too far north with the clipper through 9 hours across the upper Midwest.  The euro was the best and was the only that had any Chicago snow this early or any snow that far into Illinois.  It was definitely too dry though over southern WI

We have had a couple of events over produce  this month. In no way shape or form is this anything but a minor event but someone can eek out 2". It would be nice to put a couple more inches on the board for January making it that much more anomalous with warm temps and above average snow (some stations)  

I'm not sure what everyone's referring to with this drastic difference in RGEM and other guidance... 

RGEM bgphmr.jpg

NAM11i20yb.jpg

nam Nam has a slightly better consolidated precip swath to the north of NYC, RGEM has the same intensity to the north of NYC, just not as wide spread, speaking about NYC southward... yea RGEM is more south, but we're talking about the dusting to 1" line here people, not 4-6" lol....consolidated totals (1-3) will be from NYC points N+W, don't count on the RGEM dusting line to oust the nam, and if it does, it's just a dusting... not a major model fail lol

well our clipper is still looking quite sprite this morning,the radar is looking real gd for n.y.c north actually. this thing is def south a bit going by the radar and satellite,and my guess is that the best forcing might be in our neck of the woods later on since the stronger confluence won't let it get too far north.. i'm going aggressive by calling for 2-4 inches across the city..;)

4 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

well our clipper is still looking quite sprite this morning,the radar is looking real gd for n.y.c north actually. this thing is def south a bit going by the radar and satellite,and my guess is that the best forcing might be in our neck of the woods later on. i'm going aggressive by calling for 2-4 inches across the city..;)

I think we'll be lucky to see an inch

3 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I think we'll be lucky to see an inch

i dunno man.it clearly will get us and it's pretty strong for a clipper a.t.m. also some of those bands are still developing so we really don't know who gets what yet. but i'm going aggressive here lol..the only thing to really watch is the mixing line if it even gets here.  it's 24/13 here in the bronx.

2 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

i dunno man.it clearly will get us and it's pretty strong for a clipper a.t.m. also some of those bands are still developing so we really don't know who gets what yet. but i'm going aggressive here lol..

Rap/Nam/HRRR/RGEM all agree... nobody is seeing 4", let along NYC south, HRRR AND RAP agree with Nam, albeit slightly weaker... dusting to 1" for nyc metro, 1-2" isolated maybe 3 in higher elevations of Sullivan county 

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Rap/Nam/HRRR/RGEM all agree... nobody is seeing 4", let along NYC south, HRRR AND RAP agree with Nam, albeit slightly weaker... dusting to 1" for nyc metro, 1-2" isolated maybe 3 in higher elevations of Sullivan county 

somebody will in the higher elevations of course,it is going to be high ratio snow as well so i wouldn't be so sure of no high end 4 amounts. esp where the gd rates fall. alot of pessimistic people on here today lol..it's still winter folks,i'll take a inch but i'm wishing for more:lol: 

look at it start building,some of those bands are going to be strong b.t.w. don't doubt the power of short waves, esp exiting the coast later on. also one can notice the forcing going on because the northern movement is very slow and the precip shield is expanding south.the confluence is strong with this one my friends,regardless of what models say..

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

17 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

look at it start building,some of those bands are going to be strong b.t.w. don't doubt the power of short waves, esp exiting the coast later on. also one can notice the forcing going on because the northern movement is very slow and the precip shield is expanding south.the confluence is strong with this one my friends,regardless of what models say..

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

You do this every storm, "the radar is exploding!", "it's bombing out!". Please stop. It's a dusting/coating to an inch. All the models this morning have this as a non event now. 

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You do this every storm, "the radar is exploding!", "it's bombing out!". Please stop. It's a dusting/coating to an inch. All the models this morning have this as a non event now. 

got cha bud. i will let weather play out. model hugging can't tell me what i obviously am seeing as of the moment as it's a nowcasting event b.t.w. if the current radar looks like a dusting then i'll give you that,but it doesn't!. i'll be back later when it's actually snowing.B)

Despite what the radar might imply, the clippers that tend to overperform usually dig a lot more than this one is forecast to do. IMO, it still looks reasonable that NYC/Nassau County will see generally 1/2"-1" snow (mainly on grassy surfaces), outside the City in northeastern NJ/southern Westchester County/southern Fairfield CountySuffolk County 1"-2", and north of there 2"-3" (also easternmost Suffolk County).

40 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

got cha bud. i will let weather play out. model hugging can't tell me what i obviously am seeing as of the moment as it's a nowcasting event b.t.w. if the current radar looks like a dusting then i'll give you that,but it doesn't!. i'll be back later when it's actually snowing.B)

The clipper will tend to dry out as it moves over mountainous terrain. Therefore, what you see now will be more shredded when it arrives.

And please stop saying that every storm is a "nowcast event." It's not. The models get more accurate closer in, not less accurate.

Archived