Newest Member
    joxey
Potential light snow 1/29 overnight to 1/30 thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gymengineer said:

It's very banded/burst-y on the NAM. If that's the actual look, then it'll have to be in the really short range to nail down the locations that get hit the hardest. Once again, the 4K and 3K are further south than the 12K, but both have adjusted north since the 12Z run. 

Yes, all 3 are moving the heavier precipitation north from the last run.  

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Mt Holly has updated the forecast here. Upped the pops and calling for 1-2" tomorrow night. I hate when they get bullish on these small scale events.

I think 0.5-1.5" area wide is a decent bet given the trends we've seen and the slightly better vort pass for the sub-forum. Some spots will sneak over 2" because it always happens. Where will be determined at very short lead around HRRR time. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It has much the same precip orientation as the Euro

Its all about the vort pass. Its pretty darn good. It is a tad further north at 18z, but probably just noise. As far as resolving the ultimate location of any meso banding, that is probably best left to the short range models. That is where the 1-2" potential will be. The low also deepens just off the coast but likely too late/progressive to have much affect.

1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

Everything is still showing a narrow max band that's been bouncing around north or south (18Z GFS headed south some). Going to be very low confidence for any given location until the banding forms.

The mesoscale models should be able to close in on the location a bit more in the next few runs.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its all about the vort pass. Its pretty darn good. It is a tad further north at 18z, but probably just noise. As far as resolving the ultimate location of any meso banding, that is probably best left to the short range models. That is where the 1-2" potential will be. The low also deepens just off the coast but likely too late/progressive to have much affect.

I wonder how the mountain effect would affect us differently if the vort max dives south and then towards us from the southwest like on the 3km NAM versus northwest like most systems.  Would the life-cycle of the vort max behave differently?

4 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

I wonder how the mountain effect would affect us differently if the vort max dives south and then towards us from the southwest like on the 3km NAM versus northwest like most systems.  Would the life-cycle of the vort max behave differently?

You're not trying to lure me into a discussion of mountain torque, are you?

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

0z 12k NAM looking really good. 

Edit: hmmmm. It rains on DC for awhile actually, the surface temps are pretty bad. 

Wow.  A lot better than I thought.  Should be ok west of the fall line...850s are good but surface is ugly

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

West of the fall line is a scary phrase when you live less then a mile off the fall line. 

Total precip is good for all though. namconus_apcpn_neus_13.png

I live about 20 miles.  Snow tv for a while.  Until the low gets east of us...but 850s are again real nice.  Rates will matter

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived