• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueValleyHVAC
    Newest Member
    BlueValleyHVAC
Hoosier

February 2017 General Discussion

Tuesday has potential to break the record high of 67 set just last year, if that occurs that would be two records we broke set in 2016.

Also if we reach 60's on Tuesday, that would be 11/28 days in February to have a reading of 60 degrees or higher. Really incredible. 

Interesting to see how much the deep snow cover over the northwest half of Iowa is having on the temps this morning.  Significantly colder than areas to the south that are free of snow cover.  Also colder than the areas to the north of the cover where there's even northwest winds.  

vgo6xg.jpg

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snowflakes have been falling most of the time since yesterday morning. Got 0.1" yesterday in a heavier shower though it mostly sublimated away with the gusty winds.

Actually woke up to a solid dusting of snow here.

It's all but history now though.

Definitely a big transition from Friday to yesterday, but nothing extreme really. Topped out at 78 Friday, cold front ripped through after midnight and temps dropped all day. Mid 40s by the morning, stayed above freezing until after 9pm, and even then only bottomed out at 29. Clear blue skies today and rebounded nicely to 44F. A typical late February day.

Pretty breezy out there.

Tuesday's record high at ORD is 62, set last year.  That is a vulnerable one when looking at the record highs on surrounding dates. LOT is currently going with 61.

Here is the top ten list for warmest Februarys since 1871 for Cleveland. 2017 is off the charts and shouldn't change much with the projected warm highs Monday and Tuesday.

1 2017 41.1
2 1998 37.5
3 1930 37.5
4 1882 37.0
5 1954 36.3
6 1890 36.1
7 1976 35.9
8 1932 35.8
9 1891 35.4
10 2012 34.9
11 1999 34.7

I wish I knew where to find maps of CONUS temperature anomalies as far back as 1882.  Really think this February may be unprecedented or close to it as far as the almost nationwide warmth and magnitude of said warmth.

Like when you go back and look at these notoriously warm Februaries, it looks like 2017 will outdo these in the magnitude/extent of warmth, on a nationwide basis.

cd2607:fb90:9834:c5b5:0:49:244a:db01.56.14.20.53.prcp.png

cd2607:fb90:9834:c5b5:0:49:244a:db01.56.14.21.20.prcp.png

cd2607:fb90:9834:c5b5:0:49:244a:db01.56.14.21.53.prcp.png

cd2607:fb90:9834:c5b5:0:49:244a:db01.56.14.22.18.prcp.png

MonthTDeptUS.png

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Made it to the mid 50s.  I'd have to check but I don't recall it being progged to get that warm.

Surprised it got as warm as it did today with those 850/925 MB temps.

It was a bright sunny day on Monday with the cm or two that fell Saturday melting away completely. The remainder piles are still shrinking. I think we have less snow right now than in Feb 2012 which had very little of course. I find it all funny because its cheating through winter.

7 hours ago, Maxim said:

Surprised it got as warm as it did today with those 850/925 MB temps.

Warm soil is probably screwing with models.

It now looks like this February will set a new record for the month in Grand Rapids and Lansing. In Muskegon, we will not know until tomorrow. As of this morning the mean in Grand Rapids is 34.3° the current record is 34.1° set in 1998. In Lansing they now stand at 35.0° the current record is 33.9° set in 1882. In Muskegon, the current record is 35.0° set in 1998 and they now are at 34.9° Other locations around the state Detroit is now at 37.6° the record there is 39.5° set in 1882 that record will stand. In Flint the record is 34.5° in 1998 they are now at 34.1° Alpena currently at 27.7° record is 29.7° 1998 that will stand. At the Sault the record is 29.1° in 1998 currently 25.0° the record there will stand. At Marquette, currently they are at 21.7° Their record is 32.6° way back in 1878.

February 2017 will finish as the warmest February on record at YYZ, beating the old records of February 2012 and 1998. What a disaster! YYZ also recorded 8.18" of snow, slightly below the avg. of 10.2". 

Funny just 2 years ago YYZ recorded the coldest February and month on record with a mean temperature of 9.3F. One to many extremes in such a short period of time. 

What a putrid Winter. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

February 2017 will finish as the warmest February on record at YYZ, beating the old records of February 2012 and 1998. What a disaster! YYZ also recorded 8.18" of snow, slightly below the avg. of 10.2". 

Funny just 2 years ago YYZ recorded the coldest February and month on record with a mean temperature of 9.3F. One to many extremes in such a short period of time. 

What a putrid Winter. 

If we can't hold onto troughs, we are screwed, it's that simple. We need NW flow, with brief interruptions for waves to move along. This is one of the first winters I have witnessed every storm going to my NW.... And really far NW.... Even northern Michigan missed out on most synoptic events.

MLI nailed another record today.  Dense canopy of mid-high level clouds wasn't enough to keeps temp down.  Made it to 68, beating the old record of 66.

I was stuck at work till 4, so only had one play as far as chasing.  Ran up to that tor warned storm crossing the MS River, but it wasn't tornadic by the time I reached it.  Followed the sup immediately trailing it for a little while, but it looked pretty undercut from the beginning.  Probably would have busted today even if I were off, as I probably would have played the warm front since it was so close to home, and I doubt I would have been on the Iowa side.

Getting my 3rd TS in under a week in February. I bet if you added up the last 10 Februaries you wouldn't get much more than 3 TS. Pretty good lightning with this one too.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

^Beautiful as always!!

Snowin' and blowin' like a boss tonight.

Thanks man!

Will finish Feb with 0.66" of precip here.  

This will go down as a very memorable Feb to be sure.  MLI had 7 new record highs in the last 12 days of the month, including a new all-time high and five 70 degree days.  They almost had a few more, as there were a few days that maxed at 69 degrees, including today.  As impressive as Morch 2012 was, I think this month impressed me more.  To get such extreme warmth to sustain itself for a week this early is just madness.  And then on top of that we add today's severe outbreak to boot.  

This month will go down as a complete kick in the nuts. The weather delivered was simply April weather in February. April is pretty much a transitional month without anything worth remembering.

Yes, it was an extreme month, but in the grand scheme, it was simple, unexciting April weather.

Record hot month, snowy month or even stormy months -- that's interesting.

Good bye and good riddance to a horrible meteorological winter.

This is 2016-2017 winter in a nutshell.

Oh nice, a trough and cold! Finally!

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_10.png

Oh Never mind this is 2016-2017 winter. A few days later ---

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_25.png

Feb 2017 finished with a mean temp of 38.0F at DTW, +9.8F, and was the 2nd warmest February on record. Only 1882 was warmer (though by a full 1.5F).

Feb 2015 was the 2nd coldest Feb on record with a mean temp of 14.1F which was -14.0F. Only 1875 was colder.

So the last 2 years have seen a 23.9-degree difference in Feb!

Winter 2016-17 was the 8th warmest on record, though snowfall (to this point) is only slightly below normal.