Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

15 minutes ago, Chambana said:

As expected the 2" snowfall is a distant memory, down to just patches as temps have soared to 48 degrees. The days are starting to get longer, sunset is around 530PM. 

Nothing but above to much above normal temps in my forecast the next 7-10 days. February will not play hero this year. 

That storm for the 2/16 timeframe for the NE is an absolute monster. 2/6/78 has been showing up as a nalog for a few days. Wasn't this the storm that gave New England like 3' of snow?

2/6/78 is a benchmark storm for them, and I believe it is still the record holder for Boston.

Between what happened in the Midwest and eastern US, January-February 1978 was pretty nuts.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well forget about getting sustained snowpack outside of the lake belts.  I know, I know, there are always exceptions, but this winter has not proved capable and climo is only becoming more unfriendly, with melting occurring on days that don't even reach freezing.

my relatives are all from Rhode Island.   I remember them calling us out here in Ohio when the blizzard struck in late Jan'78, it was all over the news......   a week later my folks were calling them concerned about their blizzard....If memory serves me right my grandparents picked up close to 4', my grandfather was a barber and he was stranded for days at his shop.    

Hoosier's right, it's their benchmark.

Maybe fate will come in the form of a reverse....our '78 redux a week after theirs this time 

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it to 46 today.  Snow is toast.  

80s all the way up into central KS, with 93 degrees in the northeast TX panhandle.  

EDIT:  Pretty interesting to note that the areas that are in the upper 80s and lower 90s were the ones greatest hit by that ice storm last month lol.

Impressive warmth out there.  I'd guess some records were broken.

26 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Made it to 46 today.  Snow is toast.  

80s all the way up into central KS, with 93 degrees in the northeast TX panhandle.  

EDIT:  Pretty interesting to note that the areas that are in the upper 80s and lower 90s were the ones greatest hit by that ice storm last month lol.

That is something I would look at going forward with the EML extending into our region. Might be a recipe for some major severe weather later on this spring.

59 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Noticed that too, was gorgeous, especially with the moon rising in the East at the same time.  Still have some snow but its definitely going by by.  With the melt and the rain with the next system back to my favorite... mud.

With warm air and strong inversion over the remaining snow, I'm expecting some fog/stratus to go along with the mud tomorrow/tomorrow night.

Not in our sub, but tomorrow looks even toastier for the southern Plains.  HRRR and other models are forecasting mid 90 degree potential in western OK/eastern TX panhandle, and along the Red River area of TX.  Euro and especially GFS severely underestimated the warmth there for today.  GFS was more than 15 degrees too cool.  Tonight's 00z is significantly warmer for tomorrow than last night's 00z was for today, so it'll be interesting to see how hot it can get down there.  Maybe 100 is on the table for a few local hot spots?  

EDIT:  Last night's 03z RAP had temps reaching 86-88 over areas that got up to 91-93 today.  The new 03z RAP has a max of 94-96 over a large area of north TX/southwest OK for tomorrow.  So if it's a few degrees too cool again 100 is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.  That would be extremely impressive.

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

That is something I would look at going forward with the EML extending into our region. Might be a recipe for some major severe weather later on this spring.

We haven't had issues getting halfway decent lapse rates in the dead of winter (for once), so that's a good sign.

It's been so very long since we had a solid lightning storm here. Maybe that will change this severe weather season. 

15 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Getting some nice clipper snows today across Toronto. Been coming down at a pretty good rate for a few hours now.

About 2.7" here so far. 

Pearson Airport (YYZ) recorded 1.5" (3.8 cm) with yesterday's clipper.

Up to 22.8" (58.0 cm) for the season and there's more snow in the forecast tomorrow (2-4").

2 hours ago, Toronto4 said:

Pearson Airport (YYZ) recorded 1.5" (3.8 cm) with yesterday's clipper.

Up to 22.8" (58.0 cm) for the season and there's more snow in the forecast tomorrow (2-4").

Yeah. Nam 12km and 4km are quite bullish and have around 8-15cm (3-6") tom. The latest RGEM also has 8-15cm (3-6").

Will be interesting to see how this evolves over the next few hours but definitely looking like we'll see another 3-4". Temperatures should peak around mid afternoon today and cool down after so precip type shouldn't be a problem with the CAD. 

Still 50+cm away from the seasonal average, however tomorrows snowfall should hopefully get us above last years total. Lets see! 

15 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Not in our sub, but tomorrow looks even toastier for the southern Plains.  HRRR and other models are forecasting mid 90 degree potential in western OK/eastern TX panhandle, and along the Red River area of TX.  Euro and especially GFS severely underestimated the warmth there for today.  GFS was more than 15 degrees too cool.  Tonight's 00z is significantly warmer for tomorrow than last night's 00z was for today, so it'll be interesting to see how hot it can get down there.  Maybe 100 is on the table for a few local hot spots?  

EDIT:  Last night's 03z RAP had temps reaching 86-88 over areas that got up to 91-93 today.  The new 03z RAP has a max of 94-96 over a large area of north TX/southwest OK for tomorrow.  So if it's a few degrees too cool again 100 is definitely not out of the realm of possibility.  That would be extremely impressive.

Currently 98 at Altus OK, and 97 at Vernon TX.  

Archived