• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

Yeah definitely overachieving today.  Positioned perfectly just north of the deeper moisture influx, so skies have remained entirely clear, and yet firmly in strong WAA.  Up to 54/43 here.  MLI will likely make a run at 60.  

Even went out and did a little yard work a short while ago.  Lots of others in the hood out and about as well.  Little bit of spring fever I guess.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 59/54 here, pretty impressive seeing mid 50's dew points pooled this far north in February, it feels amazing outside. Forecasted 62 today, would take a hell of a push to knock off the record of 64 back in 1925. 

CFS has been trending consistently warmer, not that the track record is very good, but none the less showing a torch plains eastward for the remainder of February, and a very very warm spring. 

34 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Currently 59/54 here, pretty impressive seeing mid 50's dew points pooled this far north in February, it feels amazing outside. Forecasted 62 today, would take a hell of a push to knock off the record of 64 back in 1925. 

CFS has been trending consistently warmer, not that the track record is very good, but none the less showing a torch plains eastward for the remainder of February, and a very very warm spring. 

Actually it's not showing a very very warm spring.  Just a mild one. It may very well be correct but as I said in the other thread, cfs has always been garbage outside a few weeks, but flip flopping has been off the charts this winter.

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually it's not showing a very very warm spring.  Just a mild one. It may very well be correct but as I said in the other thread, cfs has always been garbage outside a few weeks, but flip flopping has been off the charts this winter.

Ok maybe I was being a little dramatic with the anomalies the CFS was showing, I guess part of me is wishcasting because the thought of a long cold spring after what could be the worst winter I've ever endured, would just be brutal. 

I get your point though, I was just jumping on the CFS bandwagon for my own sanity :lol:

26 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why anyone wouldn't want a warm spring.   For 90% of our sub, the alternative is misery.

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why anyone wouldn't want a warm spring.   For 90% of our sub, the alternative is misery.

I agree with you for April and May...but not March.

In Chicago, the normal high in early March is around 40, and it's around 52 in late March.  So, a pattern with temps 5-10 degrees below normal can easily support snow and solid wintry conditions, well into March.  In 2014 and 2015, we had snow cover for much of the March 1-15 period.  In Wisconsin and much of Michigan, normal temps are colder still.  As an extreme example...I believe Madison had snow cover for the entire month of March 2008 (?).

23 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

In Chicago, the normal high in early March is around 40, and it's around 52 in late March.  So, a pattern with temps 5-10 degrees below normal can easily support snow and solid wintry conditions, well into March.  In 2014 and 2015, we had snow cover for much of the March 1-15 period.  In Wisconsin and much of Michigan, normal temps are colder still.  As an extreme example...I believe Madison had snow cover for the entire month of March 2008 (?).

Almost.  Depth dropped to T and then 0 after March 25.

9 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

actually we may have also that year.   The big one hit the end of the first week in March, (22 inches), and then it got abnormally cold and if memory serves, we had a hefty snow cover for at least couple of weeks afterward.   

INCREDIBLY rare and historic.  Of course something like that would be an exception to my comment of not wanting a cold spring....but let's face it, that was like a 1 in 100 year set of circumstances.    3-6" paste bombs that last 2 days in March are depressing to me.

13 hours ago, buckeye said:

March is basically a winter month here. April brings a few snow chances.

But regardless of that I absolutely hate spring. It is allergies galore for me, so basically the first half of met spring I'm still 100% in snow mode, and then I pretty much get s.a.d. until summer hits lol. The only thing that keeps my sanity in that time frame between snow season ending and summer starting is that baseball season has begun.

Woke up to temps in the teens and wind chills in the negatives, a true shock to the system after the mild 6 weeks. 

It was nice to see a winter landscape even if it is only going to last for 48 hours. The extreme roller coaster pattern in full effect, as we head back into the 50's by Saturday. 

In fact, the next 7 days are above normal. February should put up good + number. 

Our 1.4" of snow from yesterday is pretty much completely gone already.  Temp only reached 22 today, but with full sun it was enough to melt off quite a bit of it.  Sun angle is already making it's presence felt.  Kind of means the best part of winter is over for snow lovers, at least at this latitude.  

Definitely one of the more wintry days of the season, so far.  Probably picked up a quick 1/2-3/4 of an inch yesterday.  CVG reported 1.6" from this system...huh???  That's surprisingly high...now up to 8" on the season there.

I live maybe 8 miles SE of the airport, and I think 5" would be on the high side of what we've seen for the winter.  

As expected the 2" snowfall is a distant memory, down to just patches as temps have soared to 48 degrees. The days are starting to get longer, sunset is around 530PM. 

Nothing but above to much above normal temps in my forecast the next 7-10 days. February will not play hero this year. 

That storm for the 2/16 timeframe for the NE is an absolute monster. 2/6/78 has been showing up as a nalog for a few days. Wasn't this the storm that gave New England like 3' of snow?

Archived