• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

Definitely a big transition from Friday to yesterday, but nothing extreme really. Topped out at 78 Friday, cold front ripped through after midnight and temps dropped all day. Mid 40s by the morning, stayed above freezing until after 9pm, and even then only bottomed out at 29. Clear blue skies today and rebounded nicely to 44F. A typical late February day.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the top ten list for warmest Februarys since 1871 for Cleveland. 2017 is off the charts and shouldn't change much with the projected warm highs Monday and Tuesday.

1 2017 41.1
2 1998 37.5
3 1930 37.5
4 1882 37.0
5 1954 36.3
6 1890 36.1
7 1976 35.9
8 1932 35.8
9 1891 35.4
10 2012 34.9
11 1999 34.7

It now looks like this February will set a new record for the month in Grand Rapids and Lansing. In Muskegon, we will not know until tomorrow. As of this morning the mean in Grand Rapids is 34.3° the current record is 34.1° set in 1998. In Lansing they now stand at 35.0° the current record is 33.9° set in 1882. In Muskegon, the current record is 35.0° set in 1998 and they now are at 34.9° Other locations around the state Detroit is now at 37.6° the record there is 39.5° set in 1882 that record will stand. In Flint the record is 34.5° in 1998 they are now at 34.1° Alpena currently at 27.7° record is 29.7° 1998 that will stand. At the Sault the record is 29.1° in 1998 currently 25.0° the record there will stand. At Marquette, currently they are at 21.7° Their record is 32.6° way back in 1878.

February 2017 will finish as the warmest February on record at YYZ, beating the old records of February 2012 and 1998. What a disaster! YYZ also recorded 8.18" of snow, slightly below the avg. of 10.2". 

Funny just 2 years ago YYZ recorded the coldest February and month on record with a mean temperature of 9.3F. One to many extremes in such a short period of time. 

What a putrid Winter. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

February 2017 will finish as the warmest February on record at YYZ, beating the old records of February 2012 and 1998. What a disaster! YYZ also recorded 8.18" of snow, slightly below the avg. of 10.2". 

Funny just 2 years ago YYZ recorded the coldest February and month on record with a mean temperature of 9.3F. One to many extremes in such a short period of time. 

What a putrid Winter. 

If we can't hold onto troughs, we are screwed, it's that simple. We need NW flow, with brief interruptions for waves to move along. This is one of the first winters I have witnessed every storm going to my NW.... And really far NW.... Even northern Michigan missed out on most synoptic events.

MLI nailed another record today.  Dense canopy of mid-high level clouds wasn't enough to keeps temp down.  Made it to 68, beating the old record of 66.

I was stuck at work till 4, so only had one play as far as chasing.  Ran up to that tor warned storm crossing the MS River, but it wasn't tornadic by the time I reached it.  Followed the sup immediately trailing it for a little while, but it looked pretty undercut from the beginning.  Probably would have busted today even if I were off, as I probably would have played the warm front since it was so close to home, and I doubt I would have been on the Iowa side.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

^Beautiful as always!!

Snowin' and blowin' like a boss tonight.

Thanks man!

Will finish Feb with 0.66" of precip here.  

This will go down as a very memorable Feb to be sure.  MLI had 7 new record highs in the last 12 days of the month, including a new all-time high and five 70 degree days.  They almost had a few more, as there were a few days that maxed at 69 degrees, including today.  As impressive as Morch 2012 was, I think this month impressed me more.  To get such extreme warmth to sustain itself for a week this early is just madness.  And then on top of that we add today's severe outbreak to boot.  

This month will go down as a complete kick in the nuts. The weather delivered was simply April weather in February. April is pretty much a transitional month without anything worth remembering.

Yes, it was an extreme month, but in the grand scheme, it was simple, unexciting April weather.

Record hot month, snowy month or even stormy months -- that's interesting.

Good bye and good riddance to a horrible meteorological winter.

Feb 2017 finished with a mean temp of 38.0F at DTW, +9.8F, and was the 2nd warmest February on record. Only 1882 was warmer (though by a full 1.5F).

Feb 2015 was the 2nd coldest Feb on record with a mean temp of 14.1F which was -14.0F. Only 1875 was colder.

So the last 2 years have seen a 23.9-degree difference in Feb!

Winter 2016-17 was the 8th warmest on record, though snowfall (to this point) is only slightly below normal.

We just had our warmest February on record here in West and central  Michigan. Here is a recap of this past February. In Grand Rapids the average high was 43.1 the average low as 26.3 the highest reading was 66° on the 22nd Record highs of 59° and 62° were set on the 18th and 19th the coldest low for the month was +4° on the 4th the mean for the month was 34.7° (note the average mean for March is 35.6°) the old record was 34.1° set in 1998. There was 2.05” of precipitation, with 2.4” of snow fall. Over in Lansing a new monthly record was also set there with a mean of 35.5° there the average high was 44° and the average low was 27° they had 2.63” of precipitation and they also had 2.4” of snow fall. At Muskegon the new February record of 35.3° was set there the average high was 42.9 and the average low was 27.8 they had 2.67” of precipitation and 3.1” of snow fall. All in all a very warm month with little snow fall in West and South Central Michigan.

February finished +10.8 for Cleveland at 41.3 degrees. That's 3.8 degrees warmer than the previous warmest February of 37.5 set in 1998 and 1930. 

Meteorological winter was the second warmest on record at 36.0 degrees. It was second only to the winter of 1931/32. 

20 hours ago, Jonger said:

If we can't hold onto troughs, we are screwed, it's that simple. We need NW flow, with brief interruptions for waves to move along. This is one of the first winters I have witnessed every storm going to my NW.... And really far NW.... Even northern Michigan missed out on most synoptic events.

The consistency of this Winter has been incredible. Nearly every storm outside that 2 week period in December has tracked north of the region. And per GFS, the next 2 weeks look no different.

I didn't think this Winter could be just as garbage as last Winter. That makes it 3 now in the last 6-7 years. Unbelievable! 

Archived