Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

58 minutes ago, Powerball said:

BTW, as crazy warm as this Februrary has been (as of yesterday, DTW's departure is +9.2*F), it doesn't even come close to the top warmest February on record (1882 with an average temp of nearly 40*F).

1882 was Cleveland's 3rd warmest February at 37.0 degrees. Feb 2017 is currently sitting at 40.2 degrees in Cleveland. I think there've been a couple days this month with fronts stalled across Lake Erie keeping Detroit's temperatures a few degrees colder overall. 

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

11am and it's already 70F at CMH. Record high of 72 in 1961 is likely to be broken. Looks like we're going to challenge the all-time February record of 75 (2/26/2000) today. HRRR is behind on temps and maxes out at 73 after 3-4pm.

Nice!  Enjoy the warmth man.  The 70s are now a distant memory here.  Steel gray skies, biting north wind, and temps in the 30s.  Enjoy every last ounce of it! :D

42 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice!  Enjoy the warmth man.  The 70s are now a distant memory here.  Steel gray skies, biting north wind, and temps in the 30s.  Enjoy every last ounce of it! :D

Oh I am, best day of the week so far. Plan to enjoy the evening on a patio with some beverages before the storms arrive, but that's not until after 10pm here anyways.

CMH noon observation of 72, which ties the daily record.

1 hour ago, osubrett2 said:

Oh I am, best day of the week so far. Plan to enjoy the evening on a patio with some beverages before the storms arrive, but that's not until after 10pm here anyways.

CMH noon observation of 72, which ties the daily record.

74... daily record broken, 1 more to tie and 2 to break for the all-time.

I had a brief thunderstorm come around at 12:20 pm that was quite good. Loud thunder with decent CC lightning, and even some minuscule hail mixed in to the downpour! That's my new earliest hail, that severe thunderstorm in March 2012 to usher in the ultimate of ultimates was the former earliest with lima bean sized hail during that. It got dark enough at 12:00 pm for the streetlights to come on, another rarity. The number of deep winter thunderstorms is small enough to count on my two hands during the past 25 years. What's ironic is this one was better than pretty much all the ones I had during last summer lol.

The temperature gradient between Windsor and Waterloo is one of the most extreme I've ever seen. The UW weather station is sitting at 5ºC while Windsor is 19ºC. Now Kitchener says 10ºC so I'm not sure what to make of that one.

Windsor ON is once again 19ºC for the 3rd time IIRC with sunny skies; what a fantasy period its been over there. Just having one 20ºC day in the middle of Feb would be historic IMBY, can't fathom 3 with more on top coming in around 16-18ºC.

7 hours ago, Trent said:

In terms of historically warm months that stand out, February 2017 will probably be the winner here.

March 2012 was 1.9 degrees warmer than the previous record warm March for Cleveland. December 2015 was also 1.9 degrees warmer than the previous warmest December.

September 1881 currently stands out the most of any month at 2.6 degrees warmer than the next warmest September.

Right now February 2017 is currently 2.7 degrees warmer than the previous record warmest February. We'll see how it holds, but plugging in projected temps the rest of the month that number could rise to 3.2 degrees warmer.

Insane, no other way to put it. Excellent post, I love those kind of stats.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Don't be overly pessimistic now.  I would expect some full blown light snow.

lol.  Guess it sounded pessimistic, but yeah you're right could see a good dusting to inch in spots.  I haven't paid too much attention to the remnant defo since the <1" streak at MLI was already cooked a few weeks ago.

Just an incredibly historic weather day across Ohio today. To have sunny skies and temps in the mid/upper 70s in February is just unthinkable. It's crazy to think there have been 100s of summer days that have been colder than today.

Winds have shifted from the south to the west and temps have dropped accordingly. Reached 68 degrees and was forecasted 65, so another overperformer.

IND reached 74 degrees, breaking the old record of 71 back in 2000. Looks like a few days of seasonable weather and closing out the last 2 days of February with above normal temps once again.

Carefully watching the ORD record tonight, and biting my fingernails lol 

5 hours ago, Trent said:

1882 was Cleveland's 3rd warmest February at 37.0 degrees. Feb 2017 is currently sitting at 40.2 degrees in Cleveland. I think there've been a couple days this month with fronts stalled across Lake Erie keeping Detroit's temperatures a few degrees colder overall. 

Interesting....1882 is easily the warmest Feb on record at Detroit, Toledo, and Chicago.

and they keep tumbling, busted the daily by 9 degrees at DAY!

SXUS71 KILN 242124
RERDAY

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
424 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2017

...SEVERAL RECORDS SET TODAY AT DAYTON OH...

AS OF 241 PM...THE TEMPERATURE AT THE DAYTON COX INTERNATIONAL
AIRPORT HAS REACHED 76 DEGREES. THIS VALUE HAS BROKEN SEVERAL
RECORDS FOR MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES.

* DAILY RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR FEBRUARY 24.
** PREVIOUS RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1961 AND 1930.

* MONTHLY RECORD MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR FEBRUARY.
** PREVIOUS RECORD OF 73 SET ON FEB 25 2000 AND FEB 11 1999.

* METEOROLOGICAL WINTER MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE (DEC-JAN-FEB).
** PREVIOUS RECORD OF 75 SET ON JAN 21 1906.

2 hours ago, IthielZ said:

Looks like Detroit tied their all-time February record at 70°F today, making this only the 2nd time it has been 70 in February since records began.

Edit: Actually, the 2nd time it has made it to 70 in any winter month, period, which is even crazier.

Well if it's going to happen, it's going to happen in February. The solar angle is the highest of DJF.

Archived