Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, buckeye said:

...and that was with a garbage sky too.   A few peeks of sun here and there but predominantly cloudy.   

The clouds and fog this week really held back what could have been this week. Clouds and light fog kept Sunday at 57, managed to hit 65 despite heavier fog on Monday, Tuesday was good, and then "only" 60 with fog and mist most of the day. 

7 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

YYZ has broken the all time record for warmest February day set last year as of 12pm today. Ugh!

Currently sitting at 61.7F. At this rate, YYZ is on pace to seeing the warmest February on record. 

What a garbage Winter. 

GFS and Euro seem to indicate that winter will return by the beginning of March. Perhaps March 1984 redux?

1 hour ago, osubrett2 said:

Some nice, April like showers rolled through between 6pm and now. Plenty of lightning, a few rumbles of thunder. Picked up .67" IMBY.

So I believe the forecasted high tomorrow is 75....which I think ties our all time highest FEB temp.    Rooting for clear skies and some overachieving.... how awesome would it be to pop 80 in FEB!

Now THIS is how you do a torch!  :maphot:

7 minutes ago, buckeye said:

So I believe the forecasted high tomorrow is 75....which I think ties our all time highest FEB temp.    Rooting for clear skies and some overachieving.... how awesome would it be to pop 80 in FEB!

Now THIS is how you do a torch!  :maphot:

Changing your name to Heat Mizer!!! Lol

3 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Changing your name to Heat Mizer!!! Lol

I gave up on cold/snow weeks ago.  Let's see what we can do on the other end of the scale!   As far as the severe threat, I'm skeptical.  

It seems our best severe events tend to sneak up on us.   Once the SPC puts us in the bubble we usually end up with nothing more than a gusty frontal line and a couple of claps of thunder.

27 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I gave up on cold/snow weeks ago.  Let's see what we can do on the other end of the scale!   As far as the severe threat, I'm skeptical.  

It seems our best severe events tend to sneak up on us.   Once the SPC puts us in the bubble we usually end up with nothing more than a gusty frontal line and a couple of claps of thunder.

Well you just jinxed us! Now we will have a tornado outbreak tomorrow. It's like when the announcer says, "He hasn't missed a field goal all season!" Lol

As for weather, I am truly only a snow fan myself. Sure, I like a good Thunderstorm but generally don't like seeing people's houses & lives destroyed. Rarely does that happen w/ a good 'ole fashion snowstorm. As for tomorrow, hell let's go for 90, but still that doesn't make up for the total disappointment in this year's lack of winter weather. 

3 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

GFS and Euro seem to indicate that winter will return by the beginning of March. Perhaps March 1984 redux?

Yeah..... not happening lol. 

It'll be like how its been all winter long, some transient cold shots in the East with the coldest anomalies centered out in the West (around Alberta, Pacific NW). The models keep the SE ridge predominant through the next 2 weeks, so if there is the possibility of any snow, it'll be hard to come-by if it maintains its strength. 

Once that EPO ridge retrogrades into the Aleutians and then into Kamchatka (probably around Mid-March), then Winter will be over and Spring will take hold across the nation (another torch). 

Honestly, stick a fork in this Winter, its over! At best we'll see another 4", maybe 6" if were lucky but thats looking like a long shot. Another dud Winter., lol. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1225 AM EST FRI FEB 24 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 66 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE 
YESTERDAY. THIS BROKE THE OLD RECORD OF 64 SET IN 2000.

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1226 AM EST FRI FEB 24 2017

...RECORD LOW MAXIMUM SET AT FORT WAYNE YESTERDAY...

YESTERDAY'S LOW TEMPERATURE OF 50 DEGREES AT FT WAYNE WAS THE 
WARMEST LOW TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED FOR YESTERDAY. THE PREVIOUS 
WARMEST LOW FOR FEBRUARY 23 WAS 48 SET IN 1930.

In terms of historically warm months that stand out, February 2017 will probably be the winner here.

March 2012 was 1.9 degrees warmer than the previous record warm March for Cleveland. December 2015 was also 1.9 degrees warmer than the previous warmest December.

September 1881 currently stands out the most of any month at 2.6 degrees warmer than the next warmest September.

Right now February 2017 is currently 2.7 degrees warmer than the previous record warmest February. We'll see how it holds, but plugging in projected temps the rest of the month that number could rise to 3.2 degrees warmer.

Currently have dense fog now. Crazy to think we could talking about highs in the 70s and severe t'storms later today.

The 4km NAM in particular was impressive. It goes from around 40*F this morning to aruund 70*F this afternoon. I would expect that with a system more so in April / May, not February.

52 minutes ago, Powerball said:

BTW, as crazy warm as this Februrary has been (as of yesterday, DTW's departure is +9.2*F), it doesn't even come close to the top warmest February on record (1882 with an average temp of nearly 40*F).

The winter of 1881-82 was insane. It's the warmest winter on record for Detroit by 1.2 degrees...and 3.1 degrees warmer than any winter of the last 85 years. Only 13.2 inches of snow fell.

Archived