Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Actually the cool down next Friday/Saturday just brings us back to seasonal, slightly above average, so these numbers won't be going down at all.

I noticed that on my 7-day too, its funny. Dodging real winter.

Its an easy choice for me as well to want a front-loaded winter. Usually around November I'm itching to see some blowing snow of some-sort. March has been a waste so much it boggles my mind how anyone can not love Morch 2012. I never get anything interesting winter-wise in that month.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing buds/flowers opening on some trees.  Not all of them though... I guess some of them know better haha

Here's the part of the LOT afd regarding Wednesday

Attention then turns to the temperatures Tuesday and Wednesday as
we look to enter a sunny pattern with west to southwest winds once
again. Due to the nature of the cold front tomorrow night being a
Pacific front, the cool air behind it is quite weak. If indeed we
can clear out quickly Tuesday morning, temperatures should rebound
to near if not record highs given 925mb temperatures 10C-11C. Of
greater note is Wednesday, which with a weak low to the north,
could focus an enhanced warm corridor directly over the area with
a favorable southwest wind. Synoptically and looking at local
climatology, it points to potential to near or exceed all time
February highs (lower-mid 70s in the CWA). Looking back at a
couple other late winter/early spring record to near-record
warm stretches like we are in, the last or second to last day can
be the highest. So that further supports going a ways above
guidance. 

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah tomorrow's system has sped up compared to what we were seeing all week.  Originally it was going to be the warmest day of the spell along the MS valley area.  Euro implies it may be hard pressed to break much above 60 tomorrow from here on west.  Gonna be a tougher call for you guys, but you have a decent shot at 70.  

I'm wondering if the rains we get tomorrow temper the warmth a bit for Tue/Wed.  DVN believes Wed could be the warmest day out of this whole stretch, but if we get 0.50"+ like some of the models are showing we may not have such ideal conditions for extreme temps.

EDIT:  Another new record at MLI.  Up to 71 now.  Now 4 degrees ahead of Fri.  Hell, let's go for 80!  lol

HRRR/RAP are pretty bullish tomorrow.  If they're close to right, MLI might bag another 70.

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

HRRR/RAP are pretty bullish tomorrow.  If they're close to right, MLI might bag another 70.

Latest HRRR has them back up to 72.  Lots of clouds around though, so we'll see.  HRRR even breaks out a few patches of 80s along the MS in west-central IL lol.  

Heavy overcast/dense fog and 49 here right now.  Seems sort of strange to see fog after several days of very dry conditions.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Just went up to 63 in KC.

I ran into the the QC last evening around 8pm or so, and there was a pretty stark difference in temps compared to out here.  Vehicle said it was 54 when I left here, and warmed to 62 on the west side of Moline (Best Buy lol).  Cooled back to 52 by the time I got back home.

Thick cloud cover quickly approaching the MS river.  MLI's gonna have to get going if they're gonna make a 4th 70+ today.  Only 60 as of 11am.  We're actually ahead of yesterday at this point.  Up to 62 now with quite a few patches of mid-level cloudiness.  HRRR looks to be way overdoing temps along the MS river.  Has MLI at 76, which isn't going to happen.

MLI has also tied a record, at 65.  Back to 64 now.  It's too bad these clouds couldn't have held off another hour or so.  Would have had a good shot at 6 days of consecutive 70+ readings, which would have been extremely impressive.  Of course this stretch of temps will still go down as extremely impressive, but the sub 70 break in that streak will hurt a little stat wise.

36 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI has also tied a record, at 65.  Back to 64 now.  It's too bad these clouds couldn't have held off another hour or so.  Would have had a good shot at 6 days of consecutive 70+ readings, which would have been extremely impressive.  Of course this stretch of temps will still go down as extremely impressive, but the sub 70 break in that streak will hurt a little stat wise.

MLI is up to 68 on the most recent 5 min ob, with a string of 66 before that.  Can't remember how it works as far as averaging.

Archived