Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday had been looking like the warmest day of the stretch, but the little rain system has been slowly speeding up in recent runs.  Now looks to be rainy at times on Monday for much of the DVN area.  It would be very hard to match what we did today anyway.  Wed or Thu could be another shot at getting close to 70.

12 hours ago, Stebo said:

All models are pushing 11c at 12z at 850mb tomorrow for DTX, that would be one of the highest 850mb temps on record for the month and would blow away the daily record of 7c by a ton.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DTW make a run towards 70*F, especially with the help of downsloping. 

I think it was last year around this time that DTW also hit 67*F, but it was only a 1-day torch.

Already 48 degrees!  Point has 53 for a high but I'm thinking there's going to be a lake breeze today. If it does reach 53, that's 28 degrees above normal...just unreal warmth.

Depth just under 2' and melting fast.  With last months massive 11 day thaw and now this months near reapeat, this area will likely have record low snow depth for a February later next week.

IMG_1250.JPG

59 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see DTW make a run towards 70*F, especially with the help of downsloping. 

I think it was last year around this time that DTW also hit 67*F, but it was only a 1-day torch.

Already 59 there, I could see us definitely crack 65 today and make a run at 70. It is so nice outside right now.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago has never recorded back to back highs of 65+ in February. Almost did it in 2000 and other than that, the closest it came to happening was in 1930 when there was a 3 day stretch of 65/64/67, and then later in the month there were back to back highs of 64.

Quite an impressive Feb heatwave in 1930. Oh, and Chicago got 19.2" of snow on Mar 25/26, 1930 ;)

Post-boundary dry advection and westerly wind doing work up there today. The impressive string of 1930 records that are being broken heralded the start of the Dust Bowl -- bit of a unique situation.

I see solid upper 40s- mid 50s in the UP. How fast is that snow melting under all of that dry, windy warmth?

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Already 48 degrees!  Point has 53 for a high but I'm thinking there's going to be a lake breeze today. If it does reach 53, that's 28 degrees above normal...just unreal warmth.

Depth just under 2' and melting fast.  With last months massive 11 day thaw and now this months near reapeat, this area will likely have record low snow depth for a February later next week.

IMG_1250.JPG

Gonna be tough to get a lake breeze circulation with 25-35kt 850s, though. Tends to destroy the temp/density gradient before it can deepen enough to move inland. Interested to see how much snow you lose in a single day under those conditions.

41 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Gonna be tough to get a lake breeze circulation with 25-35kt 850s, though. Tends to destroy the temp/density gradient before it can deepen enough to move inland. Interested to see how much snow you lose in a single day under those conditions.

Started the day with 22" and now down to 18.  Yesterdays high was 46 and a low of only 34 last night, so the snow was soft starting the day.  Windy and 55 degrees... 30 degrees above the norm is just staggering to me... perfect melt conditions.

Even heard a few birds today which is pretty rare in February.

IMG_1249.JPG

Archived