SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORD record officially broken, with a reading of 62, ORD broke the old record of 60 set back in 1880! That's amazing. 

Springfield, Illinois also joins the list with a reading of 70 degrees, this breaks the old record of 68 set back in 2011. Also the earliest 70 degree reading for the month of February since 1976!

I'm already seeing the trees starting to have those buds (before the green bud part) right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing some greenage on the trees before winter makes a comeback (possibly with a vengeance).

EDIT: The last time it got up to at least 70F in Cedar Rapids was way back on February 15, 1921 when it got up to 73F!

12 minutes ago, Chambana said:

ORD record officially broken, with a reading of 62, ORD broke the old record of 60 set back in 1880! That's amazing. 

Springfield, Illinois also joins the list with a reading of 70 degrees, this breaks the old record of 68 set back in 2011. Also the earliest 70 degree reading for the month of February since 1976!

Up to 65 at ORD.

66, do I hear 66?  67?

13 minutes ago, Natester said:

I'm already seeing the trees starting to have those buds (before the green bud part) right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing some greenage on the trees before winter makes a comeback (possibly with a vengeance).

Buds/plants no likey what's coming after this very warm stretch.

26 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I am going to go 68 for ORD max today.

Currently 5 degrees above the record for the day.

I sort of rushed this and will correct later if needed, but I think the last time ORD beat a record high by more than 5 degrees was on 3/21/2012 (beat that one by 10!).  Granted the old record for today was one of the easier ones to get in mid February. 

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Looks like ORD will finish with a high of 67. Blew out that old record of 60 from 1880.

Since 2000, here are all the days that ORD has beaten a record high by over 5 degrees:

Date/amount

2/23/2000:  6 degrees

2/25/2000:  6 degrees

1/6/2008:  6 degrees

1/7/2008:  6 degrees

3/15/2012:  7 degrees

3/17/2012:  8 degrees

3/18/2012:  7 degrees

3/20/2012:  9 degrees

3/21/2012:  10 degrees

2/17/2017:  7 degrees

With Chicago getting to 67 today, I really don't see a reason that it won't at least get into the mid if not upper 60s tomorrow.  The starting point in the morning will be much higher than today.  There is a wind shift to W/NW and speeds should be less than today, so it's possible that mixing may be a little reduced. The winds should still be enough to hold back any lake breeze that attempts to get as far inland as ORD.

The RAP has 66-67 at ORD tomorrow, and it looks like the HRRR would end up about the same if it went out far enough.  If they are in catchup mode again tomorrow then it could get interesting, but I don't know how much more the thermal profiles could support (unless it ends up being warmer aloft). 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The RAP has 66-67 at ORD tomorrow, and it looks like the HRRR would end up about the same if it went out far enough.  If they are in catchup mode again tomorrow then it could get interesting, but I don't know how much more the thermal profiles could support (unless it ends up being warmer aloft). 

Could have a better starting point than today, that could help a touch. Although winds do shift to the northwest tomorrow later in the day so that could be a limiting factor of overachieving.

Archived