Newest Member
    joxey
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Hey Powerball. Another winter and Detroit's snow magnet is still in fine working order. Congrats. :)

...though i know it's doing little to satisfy your particular wx desires.

Other than Boston getting a repeat of February 2015 right now, my only complaint about this winter is the excessive cloudiness.

We had just as many sunny days in the first 2 days of February as the entire month of January.

Otherwise, it's nice not having to deal with frequent nuisance snowfalls and slipping / sliding down the side streets. 

Picked up 5.0" once all was said and done today. Storm now becoming a monster on the east coast. Similar evolution to February 2013 stoarm but a bit more north and east with the low placement made for some lighter totals. Probably the last good event of the season and pretty much tied for snowiest day of the winter. 

3 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Picked up 5.0" once all was said and done today. Storm now becoming a monster on the east coast. Similar evolution to February 2013 stoarm but a bit more north and east with the low placement made for some lighter totals. Probably the last good event of the season and pretty much tied for snowiest day of the winter. 

Blizzard Nemo? Thought this storm reminded me of that. 

20 minutes ago, harrisale said:

6.5" here so far in the city -- a pleasant surprise, beautiful snowflakes. If only it was as good as Feb 2013... had 13" with Nemo!

5 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Snowfall warning just issued. Little late but can't blame EC for this one. I measured just under 6" on my deck. Should end up in the 6-8" range I suppose.

Good thing you are back in the GTA.  Back to bare ground here after a bit of sleet this morning that made it look vaguely like winter for a couple hours.  Meanwhile I get to talk with my cousin tonight in Nova Scotia where they still get real winter.   Will be interesting to see after the storm leaves on Monday,  will they have 75+cms OTG??

Probably,  the forecast for Sydney is 40-60cms and a blizzard and they already have a good base.

23 minutes ago, Chambana said:

If the current forecast holds true for next weekend, I would have 4 possibly 5 readings of 60 degrees or above. Some of us could be flirting with record warm February's by the time all is said and done. 

Not to mention another dry week on tap too. 

true, but I think it would be tough to beat Feb 2012.   Definitely March '12 will most likely never be beat in any of our lifetimes.  If I recall places in Michigan hit 90.

In marquette.  Lots of snow here. Drove through quite a bit of Lake effect. I'd say the deepest was munising. It's interesting how the depth varies up here. I'd say 20" in gaylord with gorgeous plastered scenery, down to like 6" at the bridge, probably 30-36" in munising. Marquette not sure as I've only been in the city so obviously lots of piled snow so harder to tell depth.

24 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

In marquette.  Lots of snow here. Drove through quite a bit of Lake effect. I'd say the deepest was munising. It's interesting how the depth varies up here. I'd say 20" in gaylord with gorgeous plastered scenery, down to like 6" at the bridge, probably 30-36" in munising. Marquette not sure as I've only been in the city so obviously lots of piled snow so harder to tell depth.

Nice. enjoy, btw alot more south west of Gaylord, im am around 28-30" right now.

11 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Nice. enjoy, btw alot more south west of Gaylord, im am around 28-30" right now.

Thanks. Im no expert but ive been measuring snow for 22 years so im pretty good at eyeballing/guestimating depth. Downtown gaylord resembled Detroit 3 years ago this time of year, and that's when we had 20 or so on the ground. No doubt it's deeper outside the city. One thing you notice when driving up north, the snow depth noticeably varies constantly. I don't care what the winter, the gaylord region is always the deepest depth in lower MI. And why on earth would anyone want to live in a non snowbelt part of the UP? LOL that would be torture.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

While I'd like to get a big snow this winter, I'm seriously looking forward to next weekend.  IF everything plays out right, could be some of the warmest February weather in over 15 years.

I haven't looked into that warm event, looking forward to it if it includes southern Canada.

I didn't get as much snow as areas east of me, about 5:00 pm it was a raging winter storm outside with large flakes and some powerful winds. Visibility wasn't as bad as other intense events but was fun to watch. All the north facing windows were soaked. Later on some of the ground winds were nasty which would cause whiteouts even in close range.

Archived