Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

Just now, Hoosier said:

That would really be something.

This winter for me has been an ultimate reminder of how horrible grass can look at this time of year.

Yeah, what was weird about when we warmed up around Christmas, was how green the grass was under the snow. Now though it is dormant.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

^Nice pics Josh/Chambana.

After tomorrow MLI will reach the 50 day mark with only 0.4" of snow total.  Only two days in that 50 day stretch with measurable snow.  0.3" on Jan 25th, and 0.1" on Jan 26th.  We've gotten to the point to where the futility has become very impressive, so it's going to be interesting to see how futile it continues to be going forward.  Really don't see any ops for anything more than a DAB through at least the Feb 15-20 period.  

Thanks cyclone! February sun doing work, already up to 41 degrees, feels awesome outside. At this point let's turn the page, and forget this winter existed, I'm ready to hear birds chirping, and thunderstorms. 

Its always fun watching what the sun does to people's moods, i just have a feeling spring is breaking early this year. 

16 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Hey Bo. Same to you.

Cruddy winter and you'll probably still get 100". Nice :)

well over 100" here to date, and the Keweenaw, thanks to a persistent west flow this year is over 200" in a few spots in Houghton County(John Dee 187"). But not a single real system snow to speak of.

6 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Thanks cyclone! February sun doing work, already up to 41 degrees, feels awesome outside. At this point let's turn the page, and forget this winter existed, I'm ready to hear birds chirping, and thunderstorms. 

Its always fun watching what the sun does to people's moods, i just have a feeling spring is breaking early this year. 

I also feel like Spring comes early this year and tbh, I would welcome it.  Spring is a slow process up here tho.

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

well over 100" here to date, and the Keweenaw, thanks to a persistent west flow this year is over 200" in a few spots in Houghton County(John Dee 187"). But not a single real system snow to speak of.

I also feel like Spring comes early this year and tbh, I would welcome it.  Spring is a slow process up here tho.

Oh wow. I guess I was clumping you in with MQT like numbers.

30 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Oh wow. I guess I was clumping you in with MQT like numbers.

MQT is well se of me and almost 200' lower in elevation.   I've been able to cash in on some Keweenaw scraps while they haven't.  Negaunee is really on the southern fringe of the Huron mtns snow belt, but still average 203" a season.  Their peak depth has been 18" while I briefly hit 30" before the 11 day thaw last month.  23" currently otg here while MQT is only 15".  What's been missing here all Winter and much of last winter is the N and NE lake enhanced snow which is our bread and butter.

Anyway.... hope you stick around!

Nice to see the sun again today.  Temps are responding, and are heading for the 40 degree mark.  

Hoping for a clap of thunder tomorrow night before the showers exit stage right.  The system really never gets going until it's east of here though, so I'm not liking our chances.  Expecting <0.25" of rain.  Hoping for a few flurries Tuesday night in the midst of the strong CAA.  Most look to stay north though.  The following clipper looks to miss well south.  Next appreciable weather event arrives sometime after Feb 15th.

2 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

And shout-out to IWXwx. I think you gave me some Christmas well wishes in December but I disappeared before responding. Thanks and hope all is well.

SSC! Good to hear from you. All is well, thanks.

Overperforming here with unexpected sunshine and 43°. Didn't see any guidance getting us over 40.

22 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Brief heavy snow today.  Rode my sled down to the Dead River Basin a few miles south of here a bit ago.  System snow Tuesday looks less impressive with each run.... *sigh*

25172.JPG

Then on my way back to my place:

25171.jpg

Bo you are the sub psychologist, you help us get through hard times. I was born in 89, I can honestly say this winter is the woRst I've ever seen. 

23 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

:D Thx man!  I hope my posts are viewed positive and I'm not coming across as a snow snob.  I'm an 89'er too!

I think you do an excellent job at mellowing it out on how much snow you have. Most of us love to report how much snow we have when we get it. You just happen to get it MUCH more than the rest of us. Love your pictures.

Not even 30 and you already have a beautiful house and chunk of property in the UP?!?! You must have an excellent-paying job.

12 hours ago, blackrock said:

I think you do an excellent job at mellowing it out on how much snow you have. Most of us love to report how much snow we have when we get it. You just happen to get it MUCH more than the rest of us. Love your pictures.

Not even 30 and you already have a beautiful house and chunk of property in the UP?!?! You must have an excellent-paying job.

I appreciate that, thank you. :)

Nice sunrise^

Impressive moisture advection this morning.  Dews were at 20 just after midnight, but have shot up to 35 already.  Dense low-level cloud deck quickly advancing northward through IL and IN on the nose of deeper moisture.  HRRR shows a few nice elevated cells firing nearby late this evening.  

21 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nice sunrise^

Impressive moisture advection this morning.  Dews were at 20 just after midnight, but have shot up to 35 already.  Dense low-level cloud deck quickly advancing northward through IL and IN on the nose of deeper moisture.  HRRR shows a few nice elevated cells firing nearby late this evening.  

Thanks. You are the king of good sunrise sunset pics Joel. Of course there's not been much sun to have sunrises and sunsets here this winter lol

58 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I sorta did, saw a huge flash around 12:30 as I was going to bed, lit up the whole house. It was extremely bright and it kind of spooked me because I had no idea what it was. When I looked around and couldn't see anything I kind of concluded it had to be a meteor and I was glad when I saw reports about it this morning. 

Archived