Weathernoob335
February 2017 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It can't be as bad as January, right?

Hopefully the storm tracks also allow for chances farther south than what we've seen so far.  The large scale indices early in the month would suggest that more suppressed outcomes are less likely though.

I had thought about starting this thread, but I started January so I am glad you are running with the mojo.

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It can't be as bad as January, right?

It actually can and will be no matter what happens.  If we do happen to turn wintry and get a few snows, it just eats away at the deficit and erasing in the record books just how bad it has been.  Unless we can get a triple phaser that would be talked about for decades to come, bring on spring.  

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

It actually can and will be no matter what happens.  If we do happen to turn wintry and get a few snows, it just eats away at the deficit and erasing in the record books just how bad it has been.  Unless we can get a triple phaser that would be talked about for decades to come, bring on spring.  

I could see the potential of something juicy !!  Problem is the cold part of the formula needs to present in order to not produce rain.

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

How bad is your snow deficit?

4 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

A measly 1.6" is all the local cooperative observer has recorded.  However he has 7.85" of rain since November 1.  Sigh.

Wow you are in the same boat we are here in Champaign. We have recorded 2.8" snowfall. I'm with you, I don't want to sugar coat this winter and pad the stats, futility records at this point. 

Im afraid we are looking at another above normal temperature wise winter. Which dating back to 2011-2012 would make this 4/6 last winters warmer than normal. 

9 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

A measly 1.6" is all the local cooperative observer has recorded.  However he has 7.85" of rain since November 1.  Sigh.

Wow I had no idea. I knew it was below normal, but I see FWA is 12" and IND is a little over 6".

Feb almost assuredly will be better for you, if you want futility though, happily send any snow you dont want northeast, I can never have enough lol. We are only halfway thru the snow season though, so a long way before you can think futility.

4 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Wow you are in the same boat we are here in Champaign. We have recorded 2.8" snowfall. I'm with you, I don't want to sugar coat this winter and pad the stats, futility records at this point. 

Im afraid we are looking at another above normal temperature wise winter. Which dating back to 2011-2012 would make this 4/6 last winters warmer than normal. 

I feel bad for you guys in the snow holes, but at the same time, I dont necessarily agree with the sugar coating or erasing how bad it has been. It will still show how little snow fell in whatever timeframe, but if you get more snow than you did in X winter or Y winter in he past, obviously that winter was all the worse.

53 minutes ago, Willh said:

And this year the lake isn't even remotely inhibited yet by ice cover.

Superior has 1% Ice coverage compared to 22% this time last year, which usually accounts for the decrease in avg snowfall up here from Jan to Feb of 10-20" or so for most belt locales.  I see no obvious reason that keeps the most favored snow belts in the UP from cleaning up in Feb/March... another 100" perhaps.  For example, last Winter, with plenty of open water (but not as much as this year :) ), March 31st-April 11th I recorded 54".  I'm a firm believer in what goes up must come down, and the thaw we recently had was pretty much unprecedented for our area so I'm excited for what the last part of Winter holds.  I'd still like to see some spread the wealth snows around the sub, however.

4 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

Hmm, interesting take.  Pretty high expectations.

On 1/27/2017 at 10:48 AM, weatherbo said:

Really feeling for parts of the southern sub.  Normal Feb snow for this part of the Huron's is around 50".  I would enjoy seeing those who haven't seen much get blasted next month!

Thanks Bo, but I did move south to the Indpls area from Elkhart county where at least I would get some good LES on occasions so guess I have to take my medicine.

On 1/26/2017 at 6:27 PM, Indystorm said:

I think Indpls has only had a little over 6" of snow this whole season if I am correct.  You guys farther north have fared better.

Ha!  Your gonna have to go farther north than me and KokomoWx lol.  I wish we had 6 inches so far this season.  There's only 2 things that can happen in Feb..  We get 1 or 2 big dogs to get us up around 18-20 (not seeing that in the near future) or we dry torch (a real possibility) the second half of the month and next winter will be batsh&t crazy to keep the averages up :weenie:

Last month in the December 2016 General Discussion thread I made a post about me worrying. about this winter being a repeat of winter 2005/2006 (after a very cold and snowy first half of December).  My worry is pretty much to the point so far as we have had VERY LITTLE snow this month.  If we don't get some good snows in February this will go down as being the lamest winters that I remember.  Winter 2011/2012 did not suck this much!

To clarify, December 2005 was very cold and snowy but once late December 2005 rolled around, the patterned changed and it was all warm and rainy for pretty much the entire winter.

Here at my house I received 1.5" of new snow last night and will start February off with 6.25" of snow OTG. Looking back at January here in GRR.

This past month ended up at +4.6° the average high in GR was 34.1° and the average low was 23.9° GRR recorded 3.51” of precipitation (2.09” is ave) snow fall totaled 14.8” (20.8” is average) the warmest day was 61° on the 21st and the coldest was +2° on the 6th.  The biggest snow fall was only 3.3” on the 31st the deepest snow on the ground was 4” on the 10th and 31st. Only 8 days had 1” or more of snow on the ground and 20 days has no snow at all reported.   Also of note it now has not officially below 0° since February 28th 2015.  

1 hour ago, slimjim101 said:

Here at my house I received 1.5" of new snow last night and will start February off with 6.25" of snow OTG. Looking back at January here in GRR.

This past month ended up at +4.6° the average high in GR was 34.1° and the average low was 23.9° GRR recorded 3.51” of precipitation (2.09” is ave) snow fall totaled 14.8” (20.8” is average) the warmest day was 61° on the 21st and the coldest was +2° on the 6th.  The biggest snow fall was only 3.3” on the 31st the deepest snow on the ground was 4” on the 10th and 31st. Only 8 days had 1” or more of snow on the ground and 20 days has no snow at all reported.   Also of note it now has not officially below 0° since February 28th 2015.  

My low is 1.1F. I'm still looking for my first sub zero locally.

Very interesting weather day. A very heavy snow squall hit this morning around 6:30am, basically dropping an inch (0.9") of pretty dense snow (it was 31F) in 15-20 mins. DTW reported heavy snow with 0.1 mi visib. Left for work and roads were a disaster. My 45-minute commute took 1.5 hours. Despite all the plowing/salting yesterdays, the quick squall caught road crews unprepared and roads had ice where there was not snow.

Then, the sun and blue sky came out for just the 3rd time in 23 days, and the temp rose to 38F, melting/compacting the snow about 1.5-2" in depth. Then, as the evening commute hit it clouded up and more squalls hit, dropping a fresh 0.3" imby and 0.4" at DTW, though visibility was the bigger issue than snow/ice-covered roads. im now at 33.1" on the season with 30.0" at DTW, keeps finding ways to snow in an unfavorable pattern.

Snowpack is now a dense 4" and will start to freeze up tonight. Should be a great weekend for sledding as the snow will be solid and frozen.

4723-800.jpg

4724-800.jpg

Archived