• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

The Sunday/Monday event now may be dead.  Most of the guidance today trended towards that northern low being dominant and not much in the way of snow anyhow.  Of course now we have a 2nd event showing mid week which has the high in much better CAD position overall but let's see if it survives the trip inside of day 5 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah, I've seen that modeled a bunch of times-rarely works out-we had a brief -NAO last year, but it's been largely non existent for 4 years and we just had a phase 8 MJO and we torched.

We were not in phase 8; we were in the "circle of death." NAO has been transiently negative numerous times during some of our recent bigger winters. Prolonged -NAO can lead to suppression. All indications including mjo, pna trending robustly positive combined with a severely negative epo point towards a major east coast precip event in the next 7-10 days.

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Latest run of the EPS weeklies is a mild fire hose Pacific jet pattern for the whole month of February.

Only transients shots of colder than normal temps lasting 2-3 days at a time.

Best hope is that we can connect with a decent snow event during one of the short cold intervals.

Yep. I'm beginning to think it's over for down here. We are definitely 10-12 days away from anything remotely interesting. The PAC fire hose comes back after the cold shot. I'm ready for spring. Hopefully march is warm and nice 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

NYC needs to go +2.4 or greater in February to maintain a top 10 warmest winter finish. February average is 35.3.

Notice how many top 10 warmest winters that we have experienced since the 1990's.

#1...41.5...2001-02

#2...41.0...2015-16

#3...40.5...2011-12

#4...40.1...1931-32

#5...39.6...1997-98

#6...39.2...1990-91

#7...38.7...1998-99

#8...38.5...1889-90...1948-49

.......38.2....2016-17..Dec-Jan so far

#9...38.1....1952-53...2005-06

#10. 38.0...1879-80

The general warming of winters (especially the increased frequency of days with low temperatures of 40° or above) has likely increased prospects for such outcomes. Below are some numbers from New York City (winters 1980-81 to the present):

NYC02032017.jpg

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Latest run of the EPS weeklies is a mild fire hose Pacific jet pattern for the whole month of February.

Only transients shots of colder than normal temps lasting 2-3 days at a time.

Best hope is that we can connect with a decent snow event during one of the short cold intervals.

Going to have to get lucky with a storm or two.  The idea of a 2-4 week wintry pattern is pretty much finished.  

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Going to have to get lucky with a storm or two.  The idea of a 2-4 week wintry pattern is pretty much finished.  

Definitely hurts. I had high hopes for February. As you guys know I rely on snow for income so it's a double whammy. The one positive trend in what otherwise would be a straight rather is we have threaded the needle. That and climatology scream don't throw in the towel. lets just hope it doesn't all come together in April and we have a cold rainy spring 

The chi200 propagation of the U signal is legitimate, and its circumglobal progression will mean the MJO divergence signal persists through P1-3. This implicates a retrogressing pattern. Additionally, the RW train induction attendent the U signal should further weaken the PNJ and NATL jet. Further, the w2 generation precursor signals are apparent and well documented in the literature. Of course, the possibility of base pattern maintenance exists, but there are disparities between what is transpiring now vs. the past couple of months. Also keep in mind lag time associated with the aforementioned signals. The period I have been monitoring is principally 15th and beyond for potential NAM / NAO reversal. That is still almost 2 weeks away in the poorly modelled lead, especially given coincident MJO strat evolution. Bottom line, I have been optimistic about nothing this entire winter, but now with most seemingly throwing in the towel, I see better signals than I have all winter. Whether it evolves as I think, that may or may not occur.

Iso posted this in the mid atl thread

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. I'm beginning to think it's over for down here. We are definitely 10-12 days away from anything remotely interesting. The PAC fire hose comes back after the cold shot. I'm ready for spring. Hopefully march is warm and nice 

Ya get winters like these. At least we got the 5-6 inches a few weeks back....we may cash in again but this winter has been meh and we were due for it. Hopefully it isn't a long term change, which we know is in the works at some point. We may have to settle for a few storms per winter or even one good one and then back to warm temps. Who knows? but our window for this year is closing. Good thing I didn't buy a new snow blower.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

The general warming of winters (especially the increased frequency of days with low temperatures of 40° or above) has likely increased prospects for such outcomes. Below are some numbers from New York City (winters 1980-81 to the present):

NYC02032017.jpg

Thanks for that. The trends are impossible to dismiss.

4 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

The chi200 propagation of the U signal is legitimate, and its circumglobal progression will mean the MJO divergence signal persists through P1-3. This implicates a retrogressing pattern. Additionally, the RW train induction attendent the U signal should further weaken the PNJ and NATL jet. Further, the w2 generation precursor signals are apparent and well documented in the literature. Of course, the possibility of base pattern maintenance exists, but there are disparities between what is transpiring now vs. the past couple of months. Also keep in mind lag time associated with the aforementioned signals. The period I have been monitoring is principally 15th and beyond for potential NAM / NAO reversal. That is still almost 2 weeks away in the poorly modelled lead, especially given coincident MJO strat evolution. Bottom line, I have been optimistic about nothing this entire winter, but now with most seemingly throwing in the towel, I see better signals than I have all winter. Whether it evolves as I think, that may or may not occur.

Well one can never dismiss possibilities. Conditions so far have not favored us, but while the window is closing, there is still time for an event. Let's hope so. 

10 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Ozone transport is also very good with an apparent intensification of the BDC. It is interesting how my thoughts have been diametrically opposed to most this winter, but I am fine with that. I would rather lean on research than vascillate with the tides of model cycles. We shall see. Nothing is guaranteed in meteorology but the signals are superior to what we have seen, and I have been optimistic about nothing this winter. 

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The weeklies haven't been too bad this winter at 500 mb for the first 1 to 3 weeks. You just needed to correct their cold bias since the patterns have been verifying warmer. People have been getting mad at them since the modeled cold after 3 weeks keeps getting pushed back the closer you get.

Do you have the statistics? They have been pretty bad even at z500 from what I recall, beyond D16 or so. Of course, maybe they end up correct this time, potentially for the wrong reasons. But they were much worse this winter compared to last winter, probably because the strong ENSO forcing yielded an easier LR prognostication.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Under 10" here on the season. Less than 25% of average.

I'm not sure if it's part of the "new" climate or just a decadal trend but areas west of the city have been doing awful. In no way should coastal Suffolk county be receiving more snow then areas 500' + elevation 30 miles inland 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

Ozone transport is also very good with an apparent intensification of the BDC. It is interesting how my thoughts have been diametrically opposed to most this winter, but I am fine with that. I would rather lean on research than vascillate with the tides of model cycles. We shall see. Nothing is guaranteed in meteorology but the signals are superior to what we have seen, and I have been optimistic about nothing this winter. 

You nailed this winter man. Look forward to more of your seasonal forecasts 

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm not sure if it's part of the "new" climate or just a decadal trend but areas west of the city have been doing awful. In no way should coastal Suffolk county be receiving more snow then areas 500' + elevation 30 miles inland 

Inland areas do the best when you get a big closed low that runs up the southern Apps and redevelops just off the coast. We actually had that with the big rain storm a few weeks ago but we just didn't have the blocking to go along with it that would have locked in the cold air. Usually in that setup, the warmer air aloft eventually wins out on the immediate coast while inland areas hold on longer and get dumped on.

Archived