Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

13 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This is a ridiculous argument. Your using IMBY. It never cracked 60 at my house in wantagh today. We warmed close to the rest of the island during the morning hours only to level off in the high 50s around noon and then fall. All the time with increasing onshore wind. Pretty much text book sea breeze pattern 

Ok, so maybe the extreme south shore had a "sea breeze." Our winds were sw or wsw most of the day, yet we were still 6-7 degrees cooler than NE NJ, but 20 degrees warmer than the south shore. Was that due to a sea breeze? Or just the south wind blowing off the ocean? 

My understanding is that a sea breeze is not simply onshore flow along the coast, it is more the sea breeze process, eg. Ambrose jet, etc. If you want to argue that a "sea breeze" is anytime the wind crosses over the ocean before coming on land, even with a SW flow like today, then sure we had a "sea breeze". But to me sea breeze is the development of a coastal front due to the pressure disparities over land and water created  by daytime heating. 

The southwesterly flow we had today extended well up into NH and wasn't caused by any sea breeze. 

See the NWS explanation of a sea breeze. 

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/ocean/seabreeze.html

ISP has had a S/SW flow for the past 3 days straight, morning and night. So the southerly flow was not a "sea breeze", it was just a southerly flow. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

All time warmest temp recorded for February broken at Orh and Bos today 

Records smashed all over SNE today as well as here. Weren't they supposed to have a BDCF come through there today and stay in the 40's? Looks as though the warm front pushed all the way into the southern third of NH and VT. Unbelievable day in the Northeast 

13 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Records smashed all over SNE today as well as here. Weren't they supposed to have a BDCF come through there today and stay in the 40's? Looks as though the warm front pushed all the way into the southern third of NH and VT. Unbelievable day in the Northeast 

models backed off the BDCF yesterday

45 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This is a ridiculous argument. Your using IMBY. It never cracked 60 at my house in wantagh today. We warmed close to the rest of the island during the morning hours only to level off in the high 50s around noon and then fall. All the time with increasing onshore wind. Pretty much text book sea breeze pattern 

Wow.  64 here about 2.5 miles north and 4 miles west.

35 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Ok, so maybe the extreme south shore had a "sea breeze." Our winds were sw or wsw most of the day, yet we were still 6-7 degrees cooler than NE NJ, but 20 degrees warmer than the south shore. Was that due to a sea breeze? Or just the south wind blowing off the ocean? 

My understanding is that a sea breeze is not simply onshore flow along the coast, it is more the sea breeze process, eg. Ambrose jet, etc. If you want to argue that a "sea breeze" is anytime the wind crosses over the ocean before coming on land, even with a SW flow like today, then sure we had a "sea breeze". But to me sea breeze is the development of a coastal front due to the pressure disparities over land and water created  by daytime heating. 

The southwesterly flow we had today extended well up into NH and wasn't caused by any sea breeze. 

ISP has had a S/SW flow for the past 3 days straight, morning and night. So the southerly flow was not a "sea breeze", it was just a southerly flow. 

To be honest I've always thought this too but we both could be wrong.  In this case there seems to have been a sea breeze though considering you were in the upper 60s and Jones beach was 50 all day 

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

To be honest I've always thought this too but we both could be wrong.  In this case there seems to have been a sea breeze though considering you were in the upper 60s and Jones beach was 50 all day 

Jones Beach was likely 50 all day because their flow was directly off the water, but not the result of a sea breeze front, at least initially. Two completely different physical processes. 

23 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Jones Beach was likely 50 all day because their flow was directly off the water, but not the result of a sea breeze front, at least initially. Two completely different physical processes. 

There was obvious local sea breeze enhancement in a S to SSE flow regime today even though it didn't reach the level of one of our stronger Ambrose Jet events. Notice the stronger winds closer to where Ambrose Tower used to be located today. 

ecmwf_uv10m_nyc_2.png

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There was obvious local sea breeze enhancement in a S to SSE flow regime today even though it didn't reach the level of one of our stronger Ambrose Jet events. Notice the stronger winds closer to where Ambrose Tower used to be located today. 

ecmwf_uv10m_nyc_2.png

Do you have that map for between 9 am and noon? I have no doubt that in the afternoon a sea breeze developed.

9 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Do you have that map for between 9 am and noon? I have no doubt that in the afternoon a sea breeze developed.

The winds were weaker earlier in the day. If we had more of a SW flow, then places like Newark and maybe LGA could had at least tied all time February highs. That little SE bend in the streamlines shut Newark down before getting closer to 76.

go.cgi.gif

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

The southshore of western Nassau County was in the 60s, I guess there's a big difference further east.

56 minutes ago, bluewave said:

ecmwf_uv10m_nyc_2.png

Why couldn't we have a wind like we did last Sunday?  Thats what I want to see in the summer. Heat without humidity.

21 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Why couldn't we have a wind like we did last Sunday?  Thats what I want to see in the summer. Heat without humidity.

It isn't easy to get many days like that when so many of the WWA events this early on come with S or SW flow favoring areas north and west of us. 

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Nothing was worse than the spring days on the LB Boardwalk with 40 mph sandblast specials getting stuck in my gears.

See, that's actually where we should be building a wall ;-) Keep out the sea breeze and the inevitable sea level rise.  A 10 foot transparent wall that still lets you see the ocean without getting influenced by it should do the trick ;-)

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

See, that's actually where we should be building a wall ;-) Keep out the sea breeze and the inevitable sea level rise.  A 10 foot transparent wall that still lets you see the ocean without getting influenced by it should do the trick ;-)

I already have trouble recognizing some of the blocks where all the saltwater damaged trees were removed leaving large empty spaces on the landscape. Can't wait to see what the beach looks like once the massive Army Corps project is done.

http://liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Army-Corps-project-could-impact-summer-season,87779?

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I already have trouble recognizing some of the blocks where all the saltwater damaged trees were removed leaving large empty spaces on the landscape. Can't wait to see what the beach looks like once the massive Army Corps project is done.

http://liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Army-Corps-project-could-impact-summer-season,87779?

when will it be finished, BW?

Half of the months have seen their warmest mean temperature tied or broken from 2000 and afterward in New York City. February 2017 has a reasonable chance at surpassing the existing mark for the warmest February on record.

February:
40.6°, 2002 (Tied earlier record)
40.9°, 2012

April:
57.9°, 2010

September:
74.5°, 2015

October:
63.6°, 2007 (Tied earlier record)

November:
52.7°, 2001
52.8°, 2015

December:
44.1°, 2001
50.8°, 2015

Quite frankly I find this weather disturbing. Sure it's nice, but it is freakish. Like having a snowstorm in July. I'm sorry, we just did not see days of warm temps like this every winter when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s. In fact, I don't remember them in the80's or 90s either. Or even most of the aughts. An occasional day or two, yes, every few years. But this is getting common now. You can tell me it's only weather, and not climate change, but that won't make me feel better about it. By the way, two books worth your time, The Little Ice Age and The Long Summer, both by Brian Fagan, one of the best academic writers out there ( he has an ongoing feud with Mark Kurlansky, author of Cod, Salt, and other bestsellers, because Kurlansky is not a PhD or academic, but then Kurlansky is a better writer )

It is 60° just minutes before midnight in Central Park. New York City will set a new record high minimum temperature for February. Today's 58° minimum temperature is the 13th 50° or above low temperature on record for February. 

February’s Low Temperatures of 50° or Above in New York City are as follows:

February 21, 1930: 50°
February 24, 1930: 50°
February 25, 1930: 51°
February 14, 1949: 50°
February 11, 1966: 50°
February 23, 1985: 55°
February 24, 1985: 54°
February 1, 1988: 50°
February 23, 1990: 50°
February 5, 1991: 51°
February 21, 2002: 50°
February 19, 2017: 53°
February 24, 2017: 58° (monthly record)

6 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Half of the months have seen their warmest mean temperature tied or broken from 2000 and afterward in New York City. February 2017 has a reasonable chance at surpassing the existing mark for the warmest February on record.

February:
40.6°, 2002 (Tied earlier record)
40.9°, 2012

April:
57.9°, 2010

September:
74.5°, 2015

October:
63.6°, 2007 (Tied earlier record)

November:
52.7°, 2001
52.8°, 2015

December:
44.1°, 2001
50.8°, 2015

Don what do we need to average for the rest of the month to set the new monthly record?

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

It is 60° just minutes before midnight in Central Park. New York City will set a new record high minimum temperature for February. Today's 58° minimum temperature is the 13th 50° or above low temperature on record for February. 

February’s Low Temperatures of 50° or Above in New York City are as follows:

February 21, 1930: 50°
February 24, 1930: 50°
February 25, 1930: 51°
February 14, 1949: 50°
February 11, 1966: 50°
February 23, 1985: 55°
February 24, 1985: 54°
February 1, 1988: 50°
February 23, 1990: 50°
February 5, 1991: 51°
February 21, 2002: 50°
February 19, 2017: 53°
February 24, 2017: 58° (monthly record)

Wow, we beat the minimum record by a lot!  What kind of craziness happened in 1985 that we went from -2/9 in January to 55/75 in February?!  What a turnaround.

5 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Probably never even made it to 55 here on the immediate coast. Coming home this evening there was definitely a difference between work in Woodside and home. 

You're usually 5 degrees colder than JFK on a south wind, JM?  JFK was in the low 60s too.  Got to the mid 60s here near Sunrise Hwy

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

ecmwf_uv10m_nyc_2.png

...love it when your sitting on 1 of our great ocean beaches with a 

light NW flow..its hot,sunny,the ocean is like glass..the NW wind dies to calm..its even hotter..

but wait ..its coming..you 1st see it looking at the ocean as the 'glass' turns to ripples..and a few minutes late a

REFRESHING seabreeze hits you right in the face!..love that.

Archived