• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

The models continue to back off the degree of cold that they were showing for the first week of February. The cold days won't be all

that cold for this time of year and the milder days go into the 40's and maybe 50+.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK
 KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   1/31/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 TUE  31| WED 01| THU 02| FRI 03| SAT 04| SUN 05| MON 06| TUE 07 CLIMO
 X/N  37| 35  46| 31  39| 23  32| 21  36| 27  41| 33  47| 36  50 25 39

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JerseyWx said:

Amazing how this pattern continues.  Not only is the cold short lived, but its really not far from normal.

Fat lady's gearing up on this winter.   Just not happening.   We've seen great patterns modeled all winter only to be much shorter/muted when it comes closer to reality

Just now, Brian5671 said:

Fat lady's gearing up on this winter.   Just not happening.   We've seen great patterns modeled all winter only to be much shorter/muted when it comes closer to reality

Exactly. Whenever we get a cold period you can almost guarantee warmth behind it.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The models continue to back off the degree of cold that they were showing for the first week of February. The cold days won't be all

that cold for this time of year and the milder days go into the 40's and maybe 50+.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK
 KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   1/31/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 TUE  31| WED 01| THU 02| FRI 03| SAT 04| SUN 05| MON 06| TUE 07 CLIMO
 X/N  37| 35  46| 31  39| 23  32| 21  36| 27  41| 33  47| 36  50 25 39

Amazing right after your response to my quote the SB storm idea looks to have fallen apart on the models. March is still an unknown and it only takes one major storm, but I am still hopeful for one last good period given the trends. 

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Amazing right after your response to my quote the SB storm idea looks to have fallen apart on the models. March is still an unknown and it only takes one major storm, but I am still hopeful for one last good period given the trends. 

we can often get a snowstorm in a bad pattern, that's for sure...but I think the idea of any prolonged cold and snowy period is quickly going down the drain.  The warmth is winning this year, the big cold remains on the other side of the globe.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

we can often get a snowstorm in a bad pattern, that's for sure...but I think the idea of any prolonged cold and snowy period is quickly going down the drain.  The warmth is winning this year, the big cold remains on the other side of the globe.

Agreed. Lets hope we keep producing during the short cold spells.

1 minute ago, dmillz25 said:

I guess people aren't looking at the strat or tropo then. Next two weeks look decent then feb 15 on we'll get ours

Euro has a cutter 2/8.   Everything ends up delayed...first it was 2/1 now it's 2/15...shades of 01-02 and 11-12 where the cold and snow was always modeled 10 days out.

7 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I guess people aren't looking at the strat or tropo then. Next two weeks look decent then feb 15 on we'll get ours

The AO is currently forecasted to go negative. Hopefully that forecast stays the course. I wonder if Don is optimistic with the guidance or if its another false forecast.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

The AO is currently forecasted to go negative. Hopefully that forecast stays the course. I wonder if Don is optimistic with the guidance or if its another false forecast.

The AO has not been negative since 12/1.   It has been forecasted to go negative but it never happens.   EPO goes positive in about a week which will take us back to our warm base state after this brief cooldown.   I say cooldown b/c it's not even that cold-normal to slightly below.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

The AO has not been negative since 12/1.   It has been forecasted to go negative but it never happens.   EPO goes positive in about a week which will take us back to our warm base state after this brief cooldown.   I say cooldown b/c it's not even that cold-normal to slightly below.

Worst nightmare would be for the AO/NAO to go negative when it's already too late to snow, I don't want a cool rainy spring after this winter.

Besides the warmth, one of the worst things about this January was how little sun we saw.  That's pretty rare- usually you get a few crystal clear and cold days and nights.

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

It's too soon for me to be confident about a persistent AO-. The ongoing stratospheric warming could be helpful (zonal winds have reversed at 1 mb), but it might not be sufficiently strong to bring about the desired change. Climatology also somewhat favors the AO- as February proceeds (51% days during the 2/1-14/1981-2010 period and 53% days during the 2/15-28/1981-2010 period). However, the stratospheric polar vortex has been resilient this winter. It's unclear whether the low sea ice situation has contributed to the persistence of that vortex.

Currently, the spread on the ensembles is very wide and the extended range has had a fairly large negative bias in the forecasts. I'd like to see continuity in the guidance and a narrowing of the spread among the individual ensemble members.

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Euro has a cutter 2/8.   Everything ends up delayed...first it was 2/1 now it's 2/15...shades of 01-02 and 11-12 where the cold and snow was always modeled 10 days out.

This winter is light years better then 01-02 and 11-12. Both at the coast and inland. I had a trace with October 11 and 2.5" with January 12. That winter is the gold standerd for futility. 

Its snowing today and we will have at least a few more chances for something decent. All it would take is another decent storm to put this winter at avaerage on the island. So by no means a true ratter!

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This winter is light years better then 01-02 and 11-12. Both at the coast and inland. I had a trace with October 11 and 2.5" with January 12. That winter is the gold standerd for futility. 

Its snowing today and we will have at least a few more chances for something decent. All it would take is another decent storm to put this winter at avaerage on the island. So by no means a true ratter!

it's no 11-12 weatherwise, but it's the constant pushing back of the pattern that reminds me of that year...nothing ever moves up in time.  2/1 to 2/10 was supposed to be great, now we get cold that's not really that cold and a cutter early next week with 50's and 60's.

To beat an out of tune drum (but this one is tuned for summer) again, the first 7 days of the month could come in @+4degs.    So what has changed?    With second halve of Feb. looking like a Girl Scout Marshmallow Roasting Party, only week two clings to life.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Remember when less than a week ago most everyone was saying, at the very least the 1st half of Feb. was going to be cold and snowy? From the looks of it those two ''weeks' have been reduced to 2 hours , today probably netting a grand total of half an inch. Law of averages understood but when you have been waiting all year for winter very little can take the sting away.

11 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This area is overdue for some awful winters after the last decade. It's just the law of averages. Sucks but that's what it is. 

Yep. We got extremely lucky last year with the blizzard. Or it could have been two awful winters back to back. Most north and west of NYC didn't see much last year 

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. We extremely lucky last year with the blizzard. Or it could have been two awful winters back to back. Most north and west of NYC didn't see much last year 

The strong Nino last year was almost certain to produce at least one biggie from the subtropical jet. Luckily it was cold enough and blocking wasn't severe. 09-10, 82-83 and 97-98 were all very active. 97-98 overwhelmed with warm air so the storms came as rain. That year would've been way better if it was just a little colder-the tracks were actually good. 

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The strong Nino last year was almost certain to produce at least one biggie from the subtropical jet. Luckily it was cold enough and blocking wasn't severe. 09-10, 82-83 and 97-98 were all very active. 97-98 overwhelmed with warm air so the storms came as rain. That year would've been way better if it was just a little colder-the tracks were actually good. 

97-98 also had a mostly -AO too 

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

Worst nightmare would be for the AO/NAO to go negative when it's already too late to snow, I don't want a cool rainy spring after this winter.

Besides the warmth, one of the worst things about this January was how little sun we saw.  That's pretty rare- usually you get a few crystal clear and cold days and nights.

I know you don't want to hear it but there are actually some possible, emphasis on possible, early signs of just that. March may actually see NAO and AO blocking depending on what happens with the stratosphere come weeks 3 and 4 of February. I think February is another solidly above average/warmer than normal month, especially the 2nd half. The question then becomes March, but again, once we get to March you have the spring seasonal changes coming quickly. Climatology and sun angle start to become legit issues for cold and snow sustainability at that point for our latitude 

28 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This area is overdue for some awful winters after the last decade. It's just the law of averages. Sucks but that's what it is. 

lol we're just trying to squeeze in some action before it stops- permanently.  Based on the new sea level rise projections, I think a lot of us are going to have to move within the next few decades anyway.

Archived