Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

57 already in Easton. Talk of a potential cross polar flow mid March but teleconnections show a negative PNA. I would think that would pump up the SE ridge. We shall see.

I think we'll see a big jump between 10 AM and 11 AM as much more sunshine has broken through.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

There are growing strong signals for a huge mid to late March torch. That's when I think we get into the 80's

Yep, even in a warming climate it's almost impossible to get into the 80s before March (at this point in time anyway.)  Could see something like 1990 when we were in the mid 80s in mid March or upper 80s in late March like 1998.  Remember that although this happened in 1998, we still got 5" of snow in a very late season snowstorm prior to the warm up.  And even in 1990 we got about an inch or two of snow in early April after the March "heatwave" occurred.  A very strange year that was.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Yep, even in a warming climate it's almost impossible to get into the 80s before March (at this point in time anyway.)  Could see something like 1990 when we were in the mid 80s in mid March or upper 80s in late March like 1998.  Remember that although this happened in 1998, we still got 5" of snow in a very late season snowstorm prior to the warm up.  And even in 1990 we got about an inch or two of snow in early April after the March "heatwave" occurred.  A very strange year that was.

Once the Aleutian/Bering Sea ridge retros around mid March, watch out. Huge signal for a massive torch/SE ridge as we've seen all winter long. With a mid to late March sun, temps in the 80's are easily attainable with high heights overhead

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

66 at JFK and 67 at EWR. Newark as a good shot at topping the record number of 65+ Jan-Feb days this week.

Officially in 3rd place for the most 65 or greater days in Jan-Feb with the potential for more coming up.

Yup, 66 here also.

I see that all the snow has melted in Yowindow also.

Screenshot - 2_19_2017 , 2_18_01 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 2_19_2017 , 2_19_50 PM.jpg

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

66 at JFK and 67 at EWR. Newark as a good shot at topping the record number of 65+ Jan-Feb days this week.

Officially in 3rd place for the most 65 or greater days in Jan-Feb with the potential for more coming up.

hmmm 1976 had a historic heatwave in April (matched in 2002).

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Once the Aleutian/Bering Sea ridge retros around mid March, watch out. Huge signal for a massive torch/SE ridge as we've seen all winter long. With a mid to late March sun, temps in the 80's are easily attainable with high heights overhead

Looking at the pattern progression in January and February, and rolling that forward into March (always a risky thing to do), it looks to me that we should see our last chance at snow somewhere around March 13th and the torch you alluded to should begin around March 22nd.  Let's see how this works out- I'm not particularly enthusiastic about long range outlooks except in the most general of ways so this should be interesting.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I still remember how warm it was out on the playground during recess for that April 76 record heat.

I don't remember that year but I most certainly remember 2002.  That year we were wondering if the summer would play out like 1976 and the good news was it didn't, we had a nice hot dry summer followed by an amazing winter, my favorite winter of this entire stretch, 2002-03, snow from October through April.  Funny with the el nino signal coming up let's see if 2002 ends up as an analog.  I doubt it, that was one special season, but we shall see.  Either way, I'd much rather have 2002-2003 as an analog than 1976-1977.  Cold and dry is awful.  I doubt we are going to see a winter like that for a long time, in this climate regime anyway.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I don't remember that year but I most certainly remember 2002.  That year we were wondering if the summer would play out like 1976 and the good news was it didn't, we had a nice hot dry summer followed by an amazing winter, my favorite winter of this entire stretch, 2002-03, snow from October through April.  Funny with the el nino signal coming up let's see if 2002 ends up as an analog.  I doubt it, that was one special season, but we shall see.

It's tough to use past analogs since the weather patterns have been so much warmer and extreme here during the 2000's.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I still remember how warm it was out on the playground during recess for that April 76 record heat.

One thing I can say about April 2002 is the skies were some of the bluest I've ever seen, that must have been one dry heat lol.  I was taking pictures of tree blossoms and I intended to use a circular polarizer filter to make the sky bluer but with the polarizer the skies almost looked indigo because the skies were so blue anyway so I put the filter away and took the pictures with a bare lens, and the skies were still a really deep blue.  The other thing was the sun was intense, especially with the lack of leaves on the trees.  The same must've been true of April 1976.  

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's tough to use past analogs since the weather patterns have been so much warmer and extreme here during the 2000's.

Yes, even analogs from earlier in the 2000s are tough to use.  The two  extreme outlier winters in all of this, where we actually were going back to the 1910s and 1930s to find analogs were 2010-11 and 2014-15, respectively- those winters REALLY stood out. 

2 hours ago, Paragon said:

That march storm was a dusting that melted by about 11 am in CNJ. In fact, we saw no real snow storms for a few more years. Hope that's not the case again. I'm done with this winter, two underperformers for us but still not as bad as 98, which at least had some decent rainstorms.

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

That march storm was a dusting that melted by about 11 am in CNJ. In fact, we saw no real snow storms for a few more years. Hope that's not the case again. I'm done with this winter, two underperformers for us but still not as bad as 98, which at least had some decent rainstorms.

Yeah the cut off was severe just west and south of the city.  How did you do in the December event that gave the area around 3-3.5 inches?  I would say the three systems of note were that one and the two you mentioned, everything else around here added up to 3 inches that's it.  Those three storms totaled 24 inches for me in Nassau County though, bringing me to a seasonal total of 27".

21 hours ago, dWave said:

Nice..I was there today, I live close by and I have the nycID membership so I took a free walk through since it was so nice out.

Wife son and BIL at the Prospect Park zoo right now, I was going to pop over to the Brooklyn Botanical garden if I went, but decided tossing a ball to the dog in thebackyard was less stressful.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Wife son and BIL at the Prospect Park zoo right now, I was going to pop over to the Brooklyn Botanical garden if I went, but decided tossing a ball to the dog in thebackyard was less stressful.

I grew up near Prospect Park and played frisbee with my dad there- great memories! When I lived in Brooklyn we used to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden all the time in the spring.

Archived