SnowHabit
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton is being stubborn with this one

1217 PM EST Mon Feb 13 2017

...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST THIS EVENING...

* Winds...Northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Some
  isolated higher gusts will be possible.

* Timing...The strongest winds will be through late afternoon.

* Impacts...Strong winds may blow down limbs...trees...and power
  lines. Scattered power outages are expected.

5 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Yes, and the storm last year too. We've had our moments, but not at many jackpots as a lot of places.

The funny thing about last year's storm is that we were so close to the changeover line, I guess you have to be close to that to get the best rates in some storms.  There was a straight line of 30+ accumulations stretching from Harrisburg through Allentown through Somerset and Morris counties and right to Queens and southwest Nassau.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

The funny thing about last year's storm is that we were so close to the changeover line, I guess you have to be close to that to get the best rates in some storms.  There was a straight line of 30+ accumulations stretching from Harrisburg through Allentown through Somerset and Morris counties and right to Queens and southwest Nassau.

I don't think anyone north of Delaware changed over, they just got dry slotted which is why amounts were lower

7 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I have to admit that when I went home on my lunch hour I couldn't help but wonder how great it would be if it was pouring rain today.

Lol... your a lunatic... I love that stuff in spring/summer...btw here's a look at feb departures to date from normal... pretty epic warmth across most of the country, upper mid west has been the exception all year, and I think it stays that way through March/April/may 

IMG_1949.JPG

9 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lol... your a lunatic... I love that stuff in spring/summer...btw here's a look at feb departures to date from normal... pretty epic warmth across most of the country, upper mid west has been the exception all year, and I think it stays that way through March/April/may 

IMG_1949.JPG

Billy that's not the upper mid west being cooler than normal- they are also warmer than normal lol.

The only areas that are colder than normal are the northern great plains, northern rockies, Pac NW and Maine.  The only part of the upper MW that is cooler than normal is extreme northern Minnesota.

I could see this pattern continuing through the summer- giving us a 1980 style summer with cool weather only in the Pac NW and extreme northern NE ;-)

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

IMG_1949.JPG

My all time favorite stretch of weather was February 2010 to August 2011. Starting with the late February Snowicane and ending with Hurricane Irene.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Billy that's not the upper mid west being cooler than normal- they are also warmer than normal lol.

The only areas that are colder than normal are the northern great plains, northern rockies, Pac NW and Maine.  The only part of the upper MW that is cooler than normal is extreme northern Minnesota.

I could see this pattern continuing through the summer.

Yea I realize that... I meant northwest lol

Here are a few weather and climate stats to show how extreme the weather patterns continue to be.

This really is incredible. 30-day correlation of the NAO to the AO down to -0.68. This is the 6th lowest on record since 1950. pic.twitter.com/Jx4T4QPtNr

The ENSO included VPM index is pushing out into near-record territory this week wrt MJO amplitude in phase 1; 3.5 standard deviations! pic.twitter.com/mlUsQS3Cwj

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Here are a few weather and climate stats to show how extreme the weather patterns continue to be.

This really is incredible. 30-day correlation of the NAO to the AO down to -0.68. This is the 6th lowest on record since 1950. pic.twitter.com/Jx4T4QPtNr

The ENSO included VPM index is pushing out into near-record territory this week wrt MJO amplitude in phase 1; 3.5 standard deviations! pic.twitter.com/mlUsQS3Cwj

Haven't the AO and NAO both been predominantly positive though?

Archived