• Created
  • Last Reply

Record Report

SXUS71 KOKX 081802
RERNYC

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
100 PM EST FRI FEB 08 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 62 DEGREES WAS SET AT CENTRAL PARK NY
AT 12:59 PM TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 61 SET IN 1965.

Other records include:

Atlantic City: 71° (old record: 69°, 1965)

Baltimore: 72° (old record: 70°, 1965)

Bridgeport: 63° (old record: 57°, 1965)

Islip: 62° (old record: 59°, 2009)

New York City-JFK: 64° (old record: 62°, 1965)

New York City-LGA: 61° (old record: 60°, 1965)

Newark: 64° (old record: 63°, 1965)

Philadelphia: 66° (old record: 63°, 1925)

Sterling: 71° (old record: 70°, 1965)

Washington, DC: 74° (old record: 68°, 1900 and 1915)

Westhampton: 62° (old record: 61°, 2009)

White Plains: 57° (old record: 56°, 2009)

Wilmington: 70° (old record: 66°, 1975)

2/8/2017 Records:

Allentown: 61° (old record: 59°, 1949)

Atlantic City: 71° (old record: 69°, 1965)

Baltimore: 72° (old record: 70°, 1965)

Bridgeport: 63° (old record: 57°, 1965)

Islip: 62° (old record: 59°, 2009)

New York City-JFK: 65° (old record: 62°, 1965)

New York City-LGA: 62° (old record: 60°, 1965)

New York City-NYC: 62° (old record: 61°, 1965)

Newark: 65° (old record: 63°, 1965)

Philadelphia: 66° (old record: 63°, 1925)

Sterling: 71° (old record: 70°, 1965)

Washington, DC: 74° (old record: 68°, 1900 and 1915)

Westhampton: 62° (old record: 61°, 2009)

White Plains: 57° (old record: 56°, 2009)

Wilmington: 70° (old record: 66°, 1975)

20 hours ago, pazzo83 said:

Whoever had "blowtorch back to back winters with above normal snowfall" in their "WTF is going on" bingo - please collect your prize.

In this new era of climate, I think we're going to have to disconnect cold from snow.  You don't need a cold winter to have a lot of snow.  You just need one or two days of below normal temps every month to get that.  And that's what we're seeing now.  As a matter of fact, the warmth may cause us to have more snow as it gives us access to more moisture.  So after a long warm spell a day or two of cold is all we need to tap into that.

If you look at the snowless winters in the 80s, most of them were much colder than these snowy winters we've been having.  So I don't think we should despair even if the entire winter averages 40 degrees or even higher.  Most of us want the snow, the cold isn't all that necessary.  Plus it keeps heating costs down to have a warmer winter- so a snowy mild winter is the best of both worlds :P

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

In this new era of climate, I think we're going to have to disconnect cold from snow.  You don't need a cold winter to have a lot of snow.  You just need one or two days of below normal temps every month to get that.  And that's what we're seeing now.  As a matter of fact, the warmth may cause us to have more snow as it gives us access to more moisture.  So after a long warm spell a day or two of cold is all we need to tap into that.

If you look at the snowless winters in the 80s, most of them were much colder than these snowy winters we've been having.  So I don't think we should despair even if the entire winter averages 40 degrees or even higher.  Most of us want the snow, the cold isn't all that necessary.  Plus it keeps heating costs down to have a warmer winter- so a snowy mild winter is the best of both worlds :P

Better for banter but I disagree, the limited cold and storms taking a favorable track have fortunately aligned for us the last couple of years, but winters averaging 40+ should not consistently yield average or better snow.  Sooner or later our lucky steak will run out.

58 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Better for banter but I disagree, the limited cold and storms taking a favorable track have fortunately aligned for us the last couple of years, but winters averaging 40+ should not consistently yield average or better snow.  Sooner or later our lucky steak will run out.

But it's been this way since 2002 or so, so it's been over a decade of "luck".  I do think it'll run out one day but it won't be because of bad luck, but because of climate change ultimately making our climate too warm for snow.  Either way it won't matter, a lot of the shore will probably be underwater by 2060 or so.

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

3 storms this strong in 1 week time is more like something you see along the US  West Coast or Western Europe.

The blizzard departs today followed by the weekend system that brings rain near the coast and very windy conditions behind it.

Storm number 3 in about a week would be our next snow threat. Just need to give the late week storm some space so it can tuck 

in closer to the coast. Plenty of time to watch how the wavelength spacing works out.

A.png

B.png

C.png

What do you think, BW, for the threat a week out?  Seems like the tendency this winter is for storms to tuck in closer to the coast than earlier modeling would suggest.

33 minutes ago, Enigma said:

12z GEFS have 2-3 members with a MECS. NAO tanks next week and PNA pikes; I have a high suspicion that we will be tracking something within the next 3-4 days.

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but 12z RGEM actually gives a 1 to 2 inch snowfall for the city and north Saturday morning. Just a minor system, but we could see a little snow. 

Add this winter to the list of winters where the consensus seemed to be that there was no way we would even sniff snow for the foreseeable future.  The last thing I remember reading was how even the most pro-snow high profile mets had all but thrown in the towel til late Feb at this point.  Then out of seemingly nowhere comes yet another ~12 inch storm.  In the 80s the routine for coastal folks was that no matter how cold it might be, in all liklihood if the storm was big enough to care about it was going to change to rain.  Now it seems the opposite happens - big snows preceded by 40, 50 (and now 60) degree days.  For me it just means that never say never, that at any time a big one could be right around the corner, and not 240hrs out, either.

40 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Add this winter to the list of winters where the consensus seemed to be that there was no way we would even sniff snow for the foreseeable future.  The last thing I remember reading was how even the most pro-snow high profile mets had all but thrown in the towel til late Feb at this point.  Then out of seemingly nowhere comes yet another ~12 inch storm.  In the 80s the routine for coastal folks was that no matter how cold it might be, in all liklihood if the storm was big enough to care about it was going to change to rain.  Now it seems the opposite happens - big snows preceded by 40, 50 (and now 60) degree days.  For me it just means that never say never, that at any time a big one could be right around the corner, and not 240hrs out, either.

Good post. I'm old enough to remember plenty of winters where we either had storms that were suppressed to our south and we got nothing or they tracked inland and we got snow changing to rain. Now we mostly get storms that are well timed and well placed. I don't know if it's just dumb luck or due to climate change but I just hope it continues.

Remaining cold days this month are the 10, 17, 18, and most of the period between the 23 and March 11.   This is longest period of potential BN we have had for 23 months I think.   Chance of a storm near 24th. too.  But BN has a different meaning when we are passed  Jan. 25 or so.

Looks like we might get a bit of snow tomorrow night from the clipper. Maybe an inch in spots. Then we should watch Monday's storm to see if it trends south. Right now, that looks like a SNE Northward storm. After that, we might have to watch for a potential bigger storm at the end of next week.

17 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Looks like we might get a bit of snow tomorrow night from the clipper. Maybe an inch in spots. Then we should watch Monday's storm to see if it trends south. Right now, that looks like a SNE Northward storm. After that, we might have to watch for a potential bigger storm at the end of next week.

Don't think Sunday-Monday will work for us besides maybe some wrap-around snow showers.

Archived