Newest Member
    Dano62
February Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Models lost the cutters in the long range. Alot of cold air in Canada on the GFS. Like I have been saying, the first 2 weeks of March looks great for possible snow for our area.

I think I'd tread lightly on using the word "great" given seasonality and the advancement toward Spring ...

but anyone who thinks that winter is over because of this ridiculous warmth is likely in for a rude surprise in terms of cold and possibly snow.  

11 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Models lost the cutters in the long range. Alot of cold air in Canada on the GFS. Like I have been saying, the first 2 weeks of March looks great for possible snow for our area.

12z GFS shows a 1 to 3 inch snow next friday into saturday. Time to get excited, lol. But at least we have signs of cold air in the long range. Seems as if we have halfway decent odds of seeing some snow in March this year. 

1 hour ago, danstorm said:

I think I'd tread lightly on using the word "great" given seasonality and the advancement toward Spring ...

but anyone who thinks that winter is over because of this ridiculous warmth is likely in for a rude surprise in terms of cold and possibly snow.  

we all know who those folks are -lol

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Brian5671 said:

18z GFS looks like something out of mid April the next 7-10 days

GFS is about 1-3 days of normal to slightly below.... the rest is torch till mid march.... winters a goner and I'm ready for spring 

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

we all know who those folks are -lol

GFS is about 1-3 days of normal to slightly below.... the rest is torch till mid march.... winters a goner and I'm ready for spring 

Big deal-the GFS is cold day 8 plus....seen that movie before....

10 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Every model is cold. Another poster who thinks winter is over :facepalm:

Not over, we have a shot at some cold and snow, but it will be shorter than modeled and we'll torch like crazy around this last period.    Same ol song all winter "BIG cold and snow" is coming!  "Snowiest month ever!"   "Winter of 95-96 redux!"  Too much hype with little to no basis behind any of it.  I've bought the modeled cold period 3x this winter and been burned on every single one.

7 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

so you disagree with Danstorm the Meteorologist ?

I'm a fake met bro and mainly a troll - what makes me think the GFS may be right is the fact that there is near universal agreement on the AO tanking in the near term and a strong agreement of the PNA heading toward neutral.

1 minute ago, danstorm said:

I'm a fake met bro and mainly a troll - what makes me think the GFS may be right is the fact that there is near universal agreement on the AO tanking in the near term and a strong agreement of the PNA heading toward neutral.

If that's real, then we'll have a good shot at another storm-2 if we're lucky

12 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Add to that the MJO is in favorable phases and the strat warming going on

3 hours ago, Snow88 said:

There is a lag with the mjo

MJO going through 8 -1-2

We got our blizzard in February while it was in phase 7 and New England did very well into 8. But the MJO phases had much less cold to work with this winter.

The lag to watch was with the big SOI drops this winter. We had 2 intervals of cold and snow about 15-20 days after the lowest SOI drops.

EPS weeklies bring colder temps back here March 6-13th roughly 15-20 days after the recent -50 SOI drop. 

56 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We got our blizzard in February while it was in phase 7 and New England did very well into 8. But the MJO phases had much less cold to work with this winter.

The lag to watch was with the big SOI drops this winter. We had 2 intervals of cold and snow about 15-20 days after the lowest SOI drops.

EPS weeklies bring colder temps back here March 6-13th roughly 15-20 days after the recent -50 SOI drop. 

That's what I've been looking at.  We should have a small window for another winter weather event between (roughly) the 5th-15th.  Other than that small window we should see well above average temperatures.

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

That's what I've been looking at.  We should have a small window for another winter weather event between (roughly) the 5th-15th.  Other than that small window we should see well above average temperatures.

Agree with you. March looks like it will go down as yet another well above normal, warm month for us

And of course the Euro and Canadian look absolutely nothing at all like the GFS in the long range. The GFS has been in a world all to its own this entire winter, alternate universe. The Euro has been beating it so bad it's not even funny, the verification scores aren't even close, just blowing it away. It's actually embarrassing how horrible it is. I don't know what the GFS has been smoking...

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

And of course the Euro and Canadian look absolutely nothing at all like the GFS in the long range. The GFS has been in a world all to its own this entire winter, alternate universe. The Euro has been beating it so bad it's not even funny, the verification scores aren't even close, just blowing it away. It's actually embarrassing how horrible it is. I don't know what the GFS has been smoking...

You may want to take a look again. Yeah GFS looks too aggressive but both the Euro and CMC have semblance of blocking showing up as soon as next week

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

What? Euro also has blocking and gfs and Euro show a possible clipper into miller b system for next weekend.

Archived