Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

The new ensembles on all the models (Euro, CMC, GFS) are ugly right through the end of the runs. Don't bother looking

I remember you said something about transient cold shots.  The vast majority of winters just have transient cold shots.  You only really need two days of cold to get a nice snowstorm anyway.  Even the -1 shot last February was a transient cold shot.

4 hours ago, Paragon said:

I remember you said something about transient cold shots.  The vast majority of winters just have transient cold shots.  You only really need two days of cold to get a nice snowstorm anyway.  Even the -1 shot last February was a transient cold shot.

This winter feels a little different though.  The transient cold shots always seem to underperform, and the highs/lows tend to beat guidance, especially during torches.  I do agree though, you can capitalize on a snowstorm with a very brief cold period.

11 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Models looking better for more snow in the east. Models are starting to lose all the big lake cutters

People keep saying we have had all these cutters this season but we really haven't.  Look at how low the snowfall is in Chicago.  We haven't had many huggers either except the one in late January otherwise Allentown's snowfall total would be higher.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

People keep saying we have had all these cutters this season but we really haven't.  Look at how low the snowfall is in Chicago.  We haven't had many huggers either except the one in late January otherwise Allentown's snowfall total would be higher.

The trend this season has been pretty consistent in the mid/long range...models favor cutters between Approx. 192-340hr

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

The trend this season has been pretty consistent in the mid/long range...models favor cutters between Approx. 192-340hr

Just heard this and it's pretty surprising- Chicago has had no snow now in 65 consecutive days- new record!  I don't feel so bad for us, we've been lucky compared to everyone else south of New England or east of the Rockies.

18 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Just heard this and it's pretty surprising- Chicago has had no snow now in 65 consecutive days- new record!  I don't feel so bad for us, we've been lucky compared to everyone else south of New England or east of the Rockies.

They also hit 70 degrees in Chicago the other day.  The 2nd earliest February 70 degree reading there. 

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

They also hit 70 degrees in Chicago the other day.  The 2nd earliest February 70 degree reading there. 

No cold air anywhere this year (outside of the pac northwest)  Temp wise, this winter is a clunker with some of the all time great temperature clunkers such as 01-02, 05-06, 11-12

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Sheesh, so this is the kind of weather we need to break the drought in California?  I hope this is enough for them for at least a few years :-P

52 minutes ago, Paragon said:

We had more shredded storms than lake cutters this winter.

11 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I'd wait and see how things play out.  The warmth isn't going to let go for awhile.  Even Don mentioned that the period leading into March looks AN.

The period of above normal going into the first few days of March isn't even the real show. It looks to cool down (not cold) the 2nd week of March, then the pattern retrogression starts. The real torch looks to start just after mid month and it could be extreme

24 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

No talk about the models? It's going to snow again.

The only notable thing on the models the next ten days is the severe weather threat for Saturday. The Euro strengthens the LLJ overhead and brings between 500-1000 J/KG of SBCAPE as far North as Southern New England.

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I see GFS flipped on the cutter for early next week and now shows a snow threat instead, but do any other models show this? I haven't had time to look at much today. I wouldn't get excited if it's only GFS. 

Most of the guidance has the Southeast ridge reloading around day 8 which would cause any organized system to cut well to our West.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The only notable thing on the models the next ten days is the severe weather threat for Saturday. The Euro strengthens the LLJ overhead and brings between 500-1000 J/KG of SBCAPE as far North as Southern New England.

Agreed. Saturday could be a real interesting day for us as far as an early season severe thunderstorm outbreak. That's the thing to be watching on the models, not phantom "snows" 7-8 days out on the operational GFS

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed. Saturday could be a real interesting day for us as far as an early season severe thunderstorm outbreak. That's the thing to be watching on the models, not phantom "snows" 7-8 days out on the operational GFS

Don't normally look too often at SPC this time of year but went and read the discussion. Fairly good agreement on severe storms for the Ohio valley on Friday with question marks after that.

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

I see GFS flipped on the cutter for early next week and now shows a snow threat instead, but do any other models show this? I haven't had time to look at much today. I wouldn't get excited if it's only GFS. 

Watch the models trend favorable. Mjo is very favorable

Archived