Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

This storm brought 12+ inches into Catonsville where I lived at the time. Remember watching the evening news and they kept saying it was headed out to sea and yet you could look at the radar and knew it was coming up. Think they finally put out winter storm warnings at 11pm newscast. Was a great surprise.

That sounds like Jan of 2000.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That sounds like Jan of 2000.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I lived in Catonsville and we got like 18 inches from the 2000 storm.

That may very well be it, 2000. I am going to have to read up on it.

Think I measured 14 inches myself. Lot of wind with that one so my measurement might be questionable.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Don't have the eidetic memory some on here do so I can't remember. But there was a storm off the coast of Georgia in the early 1990's that was predicted to head out to sea and instead it cutoff and stalled and then headed up the coast for a foot+ storm. Was a complete surprise. I would love to see the write-up on that.

I know you're thinking it's 1/25/00 that you're trying to remember now. If you *are* remembering to 1/25/00 though, I don't know how you would have missed all the stuff posted on that storm here all the time. It's one of the most famous storms of all time., so it doesn't require some super-memory to be able to reference it. Like literally you can't go through a couple of days without someone on here making a reference to it. And there's a ton easily available about the storm if you just use google. Have fun reading about it. 

1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

I know you're thinking it's 1/25/00 that you're trying to remember now. If you *are* remembering to 1/25/00 though, I don't know how you would have missed all the stuff posted on that storm here all the time. It's one of the most famous storms of all time., so it doesn't require some super-memory to be able to reference it. Like literally you can't go through a couple of days without someone on here making a reference to it. And there's a ton easily available about the storm if you just use google. Have fun reading about it. 

Was just reading up on it now. Brings back fond memories.

18 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Time flies. That was an exceptional event. The build up was awesome as we got reports from folks NW getting smoked, the event itself brought the highest winds and heaviest snow I've seen here, and the flash freeze and wind chills after were top notch. 

Perfect example of how disruptive and impressive wx can be.

That event sucked here.  Lasted about 5 minutes.  I wanted to go to Rockville and choke Bob.  He was posting pics.  Very insensitive :P 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

This storm brought 12+ inches into Catonsville where I lived at the time. Remember watching the evening news and they kept saying it was headed out to sea and yet you could look at the radar and knew it was coming up. Think they finally put out winter storm warnings at 11pm newscast. Was a great surprise.

Edit: And you know what? I may actually be confusing storms and It may actually have been in the early 2000's. Dam my memory sucks.

I remember one like that also, not sure if it's the same storm but I know when I went to bed the forecast was for it to head out to sea.  when I got up in the morning there were still some local stations up hear calling for it to miss, but it was plain as day by looking at the radar it wasn't going to miss.  it was a wall of snow headed due north.  I think we ended up with around 12" or 14" here in central PA.  I was thinking it was back in the early 90's, but my memory isn't that great anymore.

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Was just reading up on it now. Brings back fond memories.

I am trying to remember what weather board I was on at that time?  I want to say alt.neweather...does that sound familiar to anyone?  I keep thinking Ji was on that board.  Then there was Wright Weather...it's a blur now

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Haven't looked at squat all day till just now. The 18z gefs says chances of breaking out a snow shovel increasing. 850  temp anoms on the EPS look like an asteroid strike d15. 

There's my technical analysis for the evening. 

Haha it really does. I thought about posting that map earlier even thought its forbidden. Thats how "impressive" it looked.

9 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

I remember one like that also, not sure if it's the same storm but I know when I went to bed the forecast was for it to head out to sea.  when I got up in the morning there were still some local stations up hear calling for it to miss, but it was plain as day by looking at the radar it wasn't going to miss.  it was a wall of snow headed due north.  I think we ended up with around 12" or 14" here in central PA.  I was thinking it was back in the early 90's, but my memory isn't that great anymore.

That's definitely Jan 25, 2000.

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I am trying to remember what weather board I was on at that time?  I want to say alt.neweather...does that sound familiar to anyone?  I keep thinking Ji was on that board.  Then there was Wright Weather...it's a blur now

Been following this board since 96 and all its transitions. Heck if I can remember them all now but wright weather does ring a bell.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Jan 2000 will go down as the greatest modern reverse bust of all time. It will never happen again. Not with that kind of magnitude. Models are far far better now. 

Think 79 might argue with that. Of course the models weren't as advanced then. 2+ feet of snow, drifting everywhere, schools closed for a week, cold as all get out for days afterward. 79 gets my vote.

Edit: Remember going to bed with possibly flurries forecast only to wake up the next morning with close to a foot on the ground and thunder-snow.

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Haven't looked at squat all day till just now. The 18z gefs says chances of breaking out a snow shovel increasing. 850  temp anoms on the EPS look like an asteroid strike d15. 

There's my technical analysis for the evening. 

I think the all time record high for Feb is 79...could we break that at IAD

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Think 79 might argue with that. Of course the models weren't as advanced then. 2+ feet of snow, drifting everywhere, schools closed for a week, cold as all get out for days afterward. 79 gets my vote.

Edit: Remember going to bed with possibly flurries forecast only to wake up the next morning with close to a foot on the ground and thunder-snow.

Yeah 2000 was more of a bust because it happened at a time when models were more capable, with better resolution. I very clearly remember looking at the radar around mid morning and thinking something was really way off, in a good way. Was surreal. That just cannot happen anymore. Kind of a shame in a way lol.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Was that the mega squall/ white out? If so that was awesome. I ended up with 3 inches here in like an hour and 20 mins. That type of event is pretty rare over here.

Yup. We got 2 inches here and it all blew away the next day. Pretty sure we dipped below zero the morning after the squall.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah 2000 was more of a bust because it happened at a time when models were more capable, with better resolution. I very clearly remember looking at the radar around mid morning and thinking something was really way off, in a good way. Was surreal. That just cannot happen anymore. Kind of a shame in a way lol.

Yeah that was wild. You could see the storm was coming due north. I agree that while it's great modeling has vastly improved in the short range, it's kinda sad you can't get those types of crazy surprises anymore.

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Jan 2000 will go down as the greatest modern reverse bust of all time. It will never happen again. Not with that kind of magnitude. Models are far far better now. 

They still happen on a smaller scale due to mesoscale features within a storm, but not that huge of a track error over that big of an area probably.

That was pretty awesome. I remember staring at the radar, and the forecast made no sense. Of course, ever since then, I've stared longingly at the NW virga field of every weak, hopeless, OTS low. That one messed with my head.

Anyway, I recall that there was a study published in 2002 showing that models had ALREADY advanced far enough to better predict the 2000 miss. And not just SREF. So yeah. ..Unless we have some massive climate disruption that makes modern institutional weather knowledge useless....Gonna be tough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, paulythegun said:

That was pretty awesome. I remember staring at the radar, and the forecast made no sense. Of course, ever since then, I've stared longingly at the NW virga field of every weak, hopeless, OTS low. That one messed with my head.

Anyway, I recall that there was a study published in 2002 showing that models had ALREADY advanced far enough to better predict the 2000 miss. And not just SREF. So yeah. ..Unless we have some massive climate disruption that makes modern institutional weather knowledge useless....Gonna be tough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The 2000 bust I think was aided somewhat by a bad RAOB that was going into the models if I remember correctly.  The models also viewed the strong energy coming out of the Upper Midwest as being a kicker, but the system off Georgia went negative fast enough that did not happen.  We still sometimes see models mistake incoming energy from the northern stream acting as a kicker when it won't.  Sometimes even worse it acts to pull the storm closer, but these errors usually are resolved now at 72-96 hours and not 12-24.

46 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah that was wild. You could see the storm was coming due north. I agree that while it's great modeling has vastly improved in the short range, it's kinda sad you can't get those types of crazy surprises anymore.

Oddly, and sadly, the other thing I remember about that storm, is during its infancy it created icy road conditions near KC, and the great linebacker Derrick Thomas died from injuries sustained in a car accident due to the poor road conditions.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived