Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I got nothing growing here. No buds anywhere. It hasn't been that warm. Y'all are livin in an urban heat island lol.

I might have overstated buds.  Just little nubs.  Nothing too urban where I live although it will get there I'm sure.  Gainesville used to have 1 stop light at 29 now clover leaf.  

Think we should rename the thread? :) 

February Medium/Long Range Fruit Tree Discussion Thread

By the way the biggest threat to a fruit tree after a warm spell and then a hard freeze is it losing it's King Bloom. Learned this last year on one of the bus tours through the orchards during the apple festival in Bigglersville. The festival is well worth going to and it is just a few minutes north of Gettysburg.

http://appleharvester.blogspot.com/2011/05/king-blossom.html

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I might have overstated buds.  Just little nubs.  Nothing too urban where I live although it will get there I'm sure.  Gainesville used to have 1 stop light at 29 now clover leaf.  

If the EPS is correct there will be plenty of buds in about 2 weeks.

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

If the EPS is correct there will be plenty of buds in about 2 weeks.

I think I am getting numb to bad model runs.  It's basically expected now.  Just riding it out and waiting for  October to roll around to start over.  Could care little about April through September and would skip them if possible.  

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

More worried about the trees.  I see some budding.  Would be bad to see bloom and then crushing freeze.   It's too early to think it will be spring from now until actual spring

I noticed the same.  Im not a horticulturist or anything but it does seem early.  This winter really is worse than I expected.  Thought we'd we weasle our way into an event by now tho there's still time.

No weekend update as of yet from JB, and he hasn't tweeted in 7 hours. That might be a record. They're roasting him to death on Twitter too....viciously. I hope he comes through at some point this weekend with his weekly update though. Yeah his forecasts busted hard this winter but that man is the absolute king of spin, and there's a mutually exclusive genius to that aspect of his approach as far as I'm concerned. I hope he doesn't disappoint this week.

On 2/3/2017 at 7:34 AM, mitchnick said:

And just when we have the towels in our hands....

4indices.png

ao.sprd2.gif

Just saw this, didn't mean to steal your thunder.  Very similar look today.  The tele signals don't look bad after next week.  It's them versus the ensembles!  Remember how quickly the potential for this month flipped unfavorably.  It's only day 4.

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its coming north. The vort looked better. This is going to trend. It has to. Could be our last shot for quite a while.

Don't have the eidetic memory some on here do so I can't remember. But there was a storm off the coast of Georgia in the early 1990's that was predicted to head out to sea and instead it cutoff and stalled and then headed up the coast for a foot+ storm. Was a complete surprise. I would love to see the write-up on that.

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Don't have the eidetic memory some on here do so I can't remember. But there was a storm off the coast of Georgia in the early 2000's that was predicted to head out to sea and instead it cutoff and stalled and then headed up the coast for a foot+ storm. Was a complete surprise. I would love to see the write-up on that.

25 Jan 2000?

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Actually my mistake. I meant to say Early in the 1990's if I remember correctly.

I remember a storm in maybe 93-95 or so that destroyed parts of Delaware and coastal MD with 10-14 inches of snow.  I always thought it was a clipper though that either blew up or had a norlun trof.  The event was badly underforecast.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I remember a storm in maybe 93-95 or so that destroyed parts of Delaware and coastal MD with 10-14 inches of snow.  I always thought it was a clipper though that either blew up or had a norlun trof.  The event was badly underforecast.

Yeah I remember that one. It was a clipper I believe. Not much of anything up my way but wind driven heavy snow and abandoned cars and rigs all along route 50 near Salisbury. Not sure the exact year though.

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This storm brought 12+ inches into Catonsville where I lived at the time. Remember watching the evening news and they kept saying it was headed out to sea and yet you could look at the radar and knew it was coming up. Think they finally put out winter storm warnings at 11pm newscast. Was a great surprise.

Edit: And you know what? I may actually be confusing storms and It may actually have been in the early 2000's. Dam my memory sucks.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived