Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agreed. I can't really think of many other years either. Maybe 1991? There are some similarities. 

It's just one of those things. A bad combo. The AO can only displace what's right below it. And if what's below it is a giant stock pile of pac air it doesn't really do us any favors. 

February of 94 actually had a stretch I think where caribou Maine broke their time February record and the AO was very negative. I think it was a very brief warmup though, not a sustained ugly pattern 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

And it's for those reasons that we can expect no real change unless the PNA goes to where the ensembles show it AND the other indices hold. Not holding my breath., but I'll stick around to watch.

Yea, I'm patient. I got over frustrations last month and I wasn't even really that frustrated. Things got much more simple as soon as I conceded the most likely outcome this winter by far will be a dud. Chasing a single storm that may or may not happen is much easier than trying to chase a respectable seasonal total. Sometimes we suck a big rotten egg. It's completely normal around here and will happen many times in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I'm patient. I got over frustrations last month and I wasn't even really that frustrated. Things got much more simple as soon as I conceded the most likely outcome this winter by far will be a dud. Chasing a single storm that may or may not happen is much easier than trying to chase a respectable seasonal total. Sometimes we suck a big rotten egg. It's completely normal around here and will happen many times in the future. 

This winter, so far at least, is a perfect 72/73 & 01/02 combo. We should appreciate the beauty of such ugliness.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

February of 94 actually had a stretch I think where caribou Maine broke their time February record and the AO was very negative. I think it was a very brief warmup though, not a sustained ugly pattern 

There aren't many big +AO DJ years where the back broke in Feb when removing stronger ENSO years. 57, 91, 05, & 07 are all I can find. 05 and 07 were weak ninos so even those aren't good comparables. 57 and 91 are pretty lame in the snow dept for Feb. 

In our region, epic late turnarounds are terrible propositions. This aint no 14-15. lol. At this point just cracking double digits at an airport would be epic and that seems light years away. 

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

This winter, so far at least, is a perfect 72/73 & 01/02 combo. We should appreciate the beauty of such ugliness.

In a few weeks / months we will look back on this time period in amazement of how people were in such denial about how bad this season really was.  

People have been far more apoplectic during patterns far less hostile. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There aren't many big +AO DJ years where the back broke in Feb when removing stronger ENSO years. 57, 91, 05, & 07 are all I can find. 05 and 07 were weak ninos so even those aren't good comparables. 57 and 91 are pretty lame in the snow dept for Feb. 

In our region, epic late turnarounds are terrible propositions. This aint no 14-15. lol. At this point just cracking double digits at an airport would be epic and that seems light years away. 

At this point, all things considered (snowfall to date, advertised patterns, review of similar winters, and statistical odds based on prior winters), there is a strong likelihood that we don't see any significant snow at the 3 major airports for the rest of the season. Personally, I'd rather just get this one under our belt and hope for a big bounce back next year.

29 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Good post, that's pretty much my take on the guidance and pattern.  The Pacific is going to flood the conus and Canada with warmer than normal air so even if we get a trough we'll be fighting normal type temps.   Looks like through the middle of the month is lost. 

This is what I was getting at a few pages back... By the time we get any help from the AO/NAO there isn't (and hasn't been) enough cold to get pushed our way. So things can line up all they want.. Still going to be an uphill battle with temps. The PAC air this year... Crushed us

37 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

This is what I was getting at a few pages back... By the time we get any help from the AO/NAO there isn't (and hasn't been) enough cold to get pushed our way. So things can line up all they want.. Still going to be an uphill battle with temps. The PAC air this year... Crushed us

The unfavorable ridge/trough placement near AK became a major feature early on. Although the guidance has been insistent at times that a legit -AO/NAO would develop, it has not. The odds were against it and we all knew that. But with very little help up top, this winter was destined to be a struggle. It will be just as tough, or more so, to replenish the cold in the source region as we head into late February.

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Jokes aside the factors lining up now have me hanging on even if it's by a thread. Just like we often see things trend to crap when guidance shows a weenie solution long range in the face of unfavorable influences perhaps things go the other way this time. 

I'm not gonna throw in the towel until after President's Day. Perhaps I'm blinded by the almanacs and our history with that weekend, but in my gut, I feel if we're gonna get anything at all this winter, it'll come around that week. If not, then I have several towels to throw in, lol

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I keep almost expecting to see one or the other give. But yet each day looks both stronger into 8 and warmer. Definitely going to be interesting to see how this game of chicken plays out. 

IMG_0530.GIF

Perhaps cold east in phase 8 is provided there is actual cold.  Canada looks overrun with PAC air.  No idea

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Not usually.  The general tendency is for it to favor a pattern that would lead to it being hard for Canada to torch. 

Thank you.  I did not realize that.  What do you suspect is going on?  The models are not responding yet but might later or is it something else?

9 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Not usually.  The general tendency is for it to favor a pattern that would lead to it being hard for Canada to torch. 

That's what I thought too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PNA/EPO ridge and a stronger trough in the east start showing up in the LR.

GEFS isn't as torchy as the EPS. 12z gefs shows the GOA trough retrograding towards the aleutians and a ridge building into western canada and through AK. That's what *should* happen with a strong MJO phase 8 signal. 

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Thank you.  I did not realize that.  What do you suspect is going on?  The models are not responding yet but might later or is it something else?

My guess is some sort of lagged response due to the anomalous trough/low heights just off the west coast and GOA. Like any other type of large hemispheric forcing mechanism, a 1-1 response is far from guaranteed. That nasty trough is going to do some dirty work first. Hopefully the MJO wave can mute it and help force it out of hostile territory as quick as possible. All we can do is watch and wait and hope and pray.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My guess is some sort of lagged response due to the anomalous trough/low heights just off the west coast and GOA. Like any other type of large hemispheric forcing mechanism, a 1-1 response is far from guaranteed. That nasty trough is going to do some dirty work first. Hopefully the MJO wave can mute it and help force it out of hostile territory as quick as possible. All we can do is watch and wait and hope and pray.  

I'm at peace with the fact that chasing any sustained better winter period is dead. That ship sailed. But at this point I'm chasing one event. At least up here several of the biggest storms on record are in march so times not up yet. 

I agree the issue is as the mjo kicks in there are antecedent factors that need to be overcome. Our best hope is that this mjo wave has staying power into 8/1/2 and by feb 25-march10 can force the pattern to a place to open the door to one legit chance. 

Were running out of deals to get a better hand. 

20 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Actually the euro mjo goes ape into 8. Something's off. Of course the last wave did nothing for us in phase 1 so the mjo can be offset. But that's a pretty high amplitude mjo wave to be saying it has no effect. We will see. 

IMG_0517.GIF

Have to remember, Statistical Significance in JFM for Phase 8 is not terribly strong.  20-25% chance that anomalies rise above random chance in our area.  Way below the significance for Phases 1&2.

mjo combined_image.png

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So we may need to wait and hope the wave makes it into 1. 

Yes, but...

It's been a while since I read this but, if I remember right, MJO spikes to a high amplitude typically fall back into the COD instead of propagating to the next phases.  If I have time to peruse the UMD AOSC archives this evening, I'll try to find the paper.

5 minutes ago, das said:

Yes, but...

It's been a while since I read this but, if I remember right, MJO spikes to a high amplitude typically fall back into the COD instead of propagating to the next phases.  If I have time to peruse the UMD AOSC archives this evening, I'll try to find the paper.

That certainly would align with this, no? 

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived