• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

I don't have anything to add on the feb 6 threat. The trough isn't digging enough for it to be a big ticket event right now. Could change but unlikely. But a moderate event is possible. The key is having enough of a southern branch reflection and enough cold wedged in behind the high combined to create the waa/cad combo we need for that nice little thump we do well in those setups. Late feb 2015 would be a best case scenario. Late feb 2007 has an event with some similarities.  We can get some snow with a low to our northwest in this type setup if those two factors above break our way. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I have nothing scientific to add, but I have noticed that the models frequently show a storm (or at least hints of a storm) 10 days out, only to lose them in the mid range and sometimes they come back in the short range.  For example, the clipper we had today was there in the fantasy period and came and went frequently, but did turn out to be a 1-3 inch snow for much of the area. I remember seeing something about Feb 1st and 3rd in addition to Feb 5-6. Now it looks like there is an even better signal around Feb 10-11th.  Should I give up on anything the rest of this week and look forward to the next 10 day fantasy, or is there still potential in the short term? Thank you all for sharing your expertise! 

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Day 10-15 looks pretty good. Lol

IMG_0489.PNG

one note about the long range.  The day 9 storm is actually a bit of a new development within what was a window that should be day 10-12 now. There is still a storm in that window the guidance is now just picking up on the specifics and there are multiple systems within the 9-15 day period. Maybe as many as 3 in a wave train.  How they play off one another will determine our fate. Idealy we want one of these to be traversing the 50/50 region as the next approaches to set up a really good look.  Lots of waves in an amplified trough over us with some nice reds over Greenland ain't a bad place to start though. We should continue to get some weenie runs if that look holds. 

After casually looking over the 500's, which I thought had improved overall, I was somewhat surprised to see the snowfall means had dropped through the 15 day period. 1'st storm had a touch better look with dig and yet the snowfall mean dropped. The second event had some good aspects as well as negative, so basically a wash, and yet they dropped. Has left me somewhat perplexed but don't feel the urge to try to reason it out at this time.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Heh, I thought the euro run was great for trends. It lost the sub 1k low crossing the lakes. Definitely a cave towards the gfs. Which is the only way we're getting snow. 

they will probably meet in the middle and it be 1-3/2-4 event

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived