Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

18z gefs jumped on board. Strong consensus for a low coming up from the TN valley. West track rain risk is definitely there but another ens run showing a legit threat in the books. 

It was a weenie run start to finish. Strong support for the day 10 window. Holds the block long enough to set the stage. Then it reloads for another window say 13-16. Best run of the year from a legit threat standpoint. And where the snow mean is from 1-2 events and snow not ice. We had a couple runs with similar snow back in dec but they were spread over 4-5 storms and most was ice. 

IMG_0386.PNG

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It was a weenie run start to finish. Strong support for the day 10 window. Holds the block long enough to set the stage. Then it reloads for another window say 13-16. Best run of the year from a legit threat standpoint. And where the snow mean is from 1-2 events and snow not ice. We had a couple runs with similar snow back in dec but they were spread over 4-5 storms and most was ice. 

It's been a good day. Ens have converged on the scand/gl ridge hanging tough. It's not a real -nao but it's a good feature combined with the ridge in the SW. Looks like we are heading towards an extended gradient look. It's not cold this far south but cold lurks close enough and a steady stream of shortwaves punching into the pac nw heading downhill towards us. 

I'm not picky. I'll take anything. Mixed event. Lighter event. Big event that melts quick. Idgaf. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

IMG_0386.PNG

Based on seasonal trends, I am guessing e17 will be closest to actual verification. Seriously tho, the NW trend can stop already. Meh, what am I thinking, what can possibly go wrong? The current pattern supports this....there's confluence and stuff. Ok, Im all in.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's been a good day. Ens have converged on the scand/gl ridge hanging tough. It's not a real -nao but it's a good feature combined with the ridge in the SW. Looks like we are heading towards an extended gradient look. It's not cold this far south but cold lurks close enough and a steady stream of shortwaves punching into the pac nw heading downhill towards us. 

I'm not picky. I'll take anything. Mixed event. Lighter event. Big event that melts quick. Idgaf. 

GEFS.PNG

The ensembles showed a good pattern at 16 days out, more and more ensemble members started ahowing significant snow in the the 9-16 day window, now 10 days out the ops and ensembles have converged on a specific storm threat.  You have to like the progression of things here.  At least we should have an active week of tracking model runs and the typical suicides with every model run that shows some level of taint in and around dc.  Suddenly it feels like winter.  Cheers! Pours a glass of amwx's finest bourbon

Just now, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

Fixed

lol...

I'm as your tag says....riding it (cause its all i got to ride).  I can imagine how this place lights up if the 0z's and weekend starts to latch onto this and trends once again become our friend.  Pattern supports it, so while not surprising, I'm still rather surprised, as were all ready to bury this ratter.

Nut

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

For those old enough to remember, 78/79 was not all that different snow wise. Yes it was colder than this winter,  but aside from 3-4" from a system that passed near Chicago Thanksgiving week, there was no snow of significance until the end of January through PDI. Then winter was done and warmth ensued.

That was my senior year in high school, Tazewell Virginia. My memory is we were out of school the entire month of January and another 2 weeks of February due to snow almost daily. They tacked on an extra hour of school each day for a least the last month and we had graduation around the 3rd week of June.

So, I saw the MJO plots posted earlier, and while for the last week they've showed mostly no strong signal and just eeking out of the COD, today run shows solid progression into 1.  Can anyone suggest what may cause the sudden shift?  Was it noise given the tellies?  Trying to wrap my head around this.

Nut

27 minutes ago, PhatStorm said:

That was my senior year in high school, Tazewell Virginia. My memory is we were out of school the entire month of January and another 2 weeks of February due to snow almost daily. They tacked on an extra hour of school each day for a least the last month and we had graduation around the 3rd week of June.

Hey, fellow sw Virginian.  It was the same in wise co.  5 consecutive weeks missed.  Same added hour and Saturday school to make it up.

22 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

So, I saw the MJO plots posted earlier, and while for the last week they've showed mostly no strong signal and just eeking out of the COD, today run shows solid progression into 1.  Can anyone suggest what may cause the sudden shift?  Was it noise given the tellies?  Trying to wrap my head around this.

Nut

No idea what causes the shift but am becoming more convinced that the MJO is what's playing havoc with the long range modeling.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

No idea what causes the shift but am becoming more convinced that the MJO is what's playing havoc with the long range modeling.

Yeah i think you may be onto something as with no overwhelming signal its just sortof a crap shoot.  Lets hope its not just a blip.  

Nut

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived