Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This weather is amazing, not even mad.

Can't say I'm sorry to see the set-up for the end of the upcoming work week. Friday to 60F or more? The only concern is the winds, which could keep the city cool. (Let me point out that we get a steady SW flow when we DON'T want it - can't we just get a regular downsloping S or SSW wind this week?)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing that Syracuse is 10 inches above it's seasonal average at this point despite enduring the least snowiest January on record (8.4 inches). I think the consensus on this board is that this has been a disappointing winter. I think this is because whenever we start to build up a snowpack we have another warmup that wipes it out and we have to start over again. But with the extended model period showing numerous storms after the end of next week, there is a good chance of KSYR at least reaching it's seasonal average for snowfall (123.7). If you look at the snowfall graph the Post Standard publishes in every issue, this season is right at the same point the snowiest season on record was at. Of course that was the '92-'93 season that featured the greatest storm most of us have ever witnessed in March and one of the snowiest Aprils ever to bring the seasonal snowfall to 192.1. We probably are not going to come close to that but the there is the potential for some excitement before the first pitch is thrown out by the Chiefs in April. 

If we hadn't gotten that extremely anomalous lake effect snow event in November which dropped close to 30 inches of snow, obviously you remember, if that storm did not happen we'd be below average in a warm winter, sounds better, lol!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The GFS has nothing to offer over the next couple weeks except a gruesome cutter, and it looks like ridging sets back up on the Euro.

A few more nails in the coffin of winter 2016-17. Looking at the models, Buffalo will be hard pressed to get HALF of our normal annual snowfall, unless we get a couple junk quick-melters to bump the numbers up. Congrats to all the cities who had just a SLIGHTLY bad snowfall season. For Buffalo and much of the Niagara Frontier, this has easily been in the bottom 10 percent all time. 

The end of February was toast from two weeks ago? If we manage to salvage anything it'll be in March and that's about it otherwise enjoy spring as its coming!

On 2/17/2017 at 0:00 PM, CNY_WX said:

It's amazing that Syracuse is 10 inches above it's seasonal average at this point despite enduring the least snowiest January on record (8.4 inches). I think the consensus on this board is that this has been a disappointing winter. I think this is because whenever we start to build up a snowpack we have another warmup that wipes it out and we have to start over again. But with the extended model period showing numerous storms after the end of next week, there is a good chance of KSYR at least reaching it's seasonal average for snowfall (123.7). If you look at the snowfall graph the Post Standard publishes in every issue, this season is right at the same point the snowiest season on record was at. Of course that was the '92-'93 season that featured the greatest storm most of us have ever witnessed in March and one of the snowiest Aprils ever to bring the seasonal snowfall to 192.1. We probably are not going to come close to that but the there is the potential for some excitement before the first pitch is thrown out by the Chiefs in April. 

It is amazing...and frankly, though the snowcover has been disappointing from a consistency standpoint, I think I'd rather have this than having the PV parked nearby all winter.  Looks like we get a tease of spring for a week then I'd expect we go back to having to grind our way through a stormy March.

50 outside attm and blindingly sunny with the snow cover. Just gorgeous, feels like beach weather!

51 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Can't complain

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16797159_10154886966345359_8642534343246734831_o.png?oh=a4cf9a96403eb861a9ad729def66f40e&oe=592837D2

It's pretty useless ****ty weather if you ask me.   I guess if you have cabin fever and want to play a couple rounds of muddy golf or take the bike around the block it's alright, but overall it sucks.  This weather will not bode well for all our flowering fruit trees, our native insects and bees, the fingerlakes vineyards, etc.  It's really very discouraging and seems to be the new normal.  

8 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's pretty useless ****ty weather if you ask me.   I guess if you have cabin fever and want to play a couple rounds of muddy golf or take the bike around the block it's alright, but overall it sucks.  This weather will not bode well for all our flowering fruit trees, our native insects and bees, the fingerlakes vineyards, etc.  It's really very discouraging and seems to be the new normal.  

I agree 100%. While the weather will be great to get outdoors and do a few activities I definitely think this prolific warm spell is going to do a number on our vegitation with many fruit trees/plants starting to bud by the end of this week only to be followed up by extended sub freezing temperatures. This does seem to be happening more often, I think it was 2012 when it was in the mid 80s in early to mid march and I remember all of the trees and plants beginning to bloom hardcore only to be followed up by really cold temperatures and even a pretty sizable elevation driven snowstorm in mid April of that year...

32 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Mid 50s and sun is good enough to go for a run/walk/bike/disc golf for me at least. I love it.

On 2/21/2017 at 0:28 PM, CNY_WX said:

Saturday should be interesting with morning temperatures near or in the 60s and afternoon cold frontal passage possibly accompanied by a squall line with thunder. By Sunday morning snow will be in the air. 

Yeah.. as much as most of us like snow, gotta say it'll be a rude weather day on Sunday.  I haven't been watching every GFS or EC run lately but 12z yday looks like a return to more "normal" weather next week, certainly towards the end of the week. I might even get back to bitching about Tug Hill snowfall again! ;)

8 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

After today, I would love to spring right into Spring instead of going through a damp and dreary Morch followed by a wet April!

If we get one of these storms to move just south of us in the next two weeks you'll be excited. 

4 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

After today, I would love to spring right into Spring instead of going through a damp and dreary Morch followed by a wet April!

Does 'Morch' stand for March being a Torch? ;)

12z GFS is looking interesting...setting up that -EPO in the 120hr range...

So...BUF is sitting at plus 6.1 deg for the month, which is what we ended up at for January.  Double digit warm departure looks unlikely with more normal weather next week, but the next couple days should get us close to plus 10.  

As far as snowfall, BUF is stuck at 4.5" for February. This after an 11" January.  Those numbers are really remarkable, but unfortunately nothing we haven't already seen this decade. Before long, BUF will be the winter golf destination of the Northeast.  I already played a round in January with sunny skies and temps in the 60's, and a few courses have been open this week.  The ground isn't even that muddy...

Looking ahead...GFS keeps a trof in the NE after this weekend with numerous weakish storms passing to our south.  This type of pattern would actually have the potential to lay down a snow cover for a week or more thru most of the area.  Euro on the other hand looks like more of the same, with any cool downs being quickly replaced by mild south winds in advance of cutter systems.  Gee, wonder which outcome will verify...

What killed us was the 2week stretch without snow in the middle of January and another 2weeks at the end of February, a full month of winter with nada lol 

I still think winter makes a return, euro has a max temp of 33 from hr 168 (850 mb drop to -20c) until the end of its run..The Gfs is cold throughout the entire long range which I know is a "crapshoot".. Even the NWS forecast goes from 50s to 30s for the middle of next week..Will this "potential " cold come with any snow is another question lol

If we get one of these storms to move just south of us in the next two weeks you'll be excited. 

I may be, but I won't be involved with every event, as I have been, so far this pathetic winter. We'll get one like 02-03 again or 13-14 but those are few and far between, but it happens. This year we've had one or the other but not both at the same time. I'm talking cold, and precip, as they were a rarity this yr( I mean together) when the precip came it warmed up and we mixed with most synoptic systems this yr while to our East, SNE got crushed once again. Don't ask me how Syracuse is above the norm or where we should be, snow wise, this time of the season. Maybe it's cause it's measured at the Airport instead of the City which is a big, big difference IMO.

25 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I may be, but I won't be involved with every event, as I have been, so far this pathetic winter. We'll get one like 02-03 again or 13-14 but those are few and far between, but it happens. This year we've had one or the other but not both at the same time. I'm talking cold, and precip, as they were a rarity this yr( I mean together) when the precip came it warmed up and we mixed with most synoptic systems this yr while to our East, SNE got crushed once again. Don't ask me how Syracuse is above the norm or where we should be, snow wise, this time of the season. Maybe it's cause it's measured at the Airport instead of the City which is a big, big difference IMO.

Yeah after March 15th I usually cheer for warmth and sun. My cheering for winter runs from Nov 15th-March 15th.

Firmly in the warm sector in BUF.  67 degrees and climbing.  

urrent conditions at

Buffalo, Greater Buffalo International Airport (KBUF)

Lat: 42.94°NLon: 78.74°WElev: 709ft.
bkn.png

Mostly Cloudy

67°F

19°C

Humidity 68%
Wind Speed S 15 mph
Barometer 29.68 in (1005.1 mb)
Dewpoint 56°F (13°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Last update 24 Feb 11:54 am EST

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Firmly in the warm sector in BUF.  67 degrees and climbing.  

urrent conditions at

Buffalo, Greater Buffalo International Airport (KBUF)

Lat: 42.94°NLon: 78.74°WElev: 709ft.
bkn.png

Mostly Cloudy

67°F

19°C

Humidity 68%
Wind Speed S 15 mph
Barometer 29.68 in (1005.1 mb)
Dewpoint 56°F (13°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Last update 24 Feb 11:54 am EST

We might have ourselves the warmest day ever recorded in February since 1873!!

Magic number to beat is 71..

Archived