• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Kind of felt this one was gonna be a dud, lol!  Its snowing but the flakes are 10"s apart!  Its just not a good year for the city even with NW flow events we cant cash in unless its a 4 day event that drops over a foot which happened a few times this yr so we'll see what Morch brings.  Could turn out to be our best month for synoptic events so we'll see.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm up to about 2.5 inches since last night and still snowing, sometimes moderately. This event was not lake effect. I think it was caused by moisture from the coastal storm rotating around the upper low over northern New York. This was enhanced at times by short waves rotating around the aforementioned upper low. The trajectory of the snow has been almost from the due north without any time over the lake. 

It would be interesting if kbuf started making maps like this showing their error for each storm. 

http://www.weather.gov/car/StormTotalMaps

Yeah right, imagine that! Imagine a gov't agency being transparent and admitting when wrong. It would actually be beneficial to the forecasters but maybe Caribou ME is a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm up to about 2.5 inches since last night and still snowing, sometimes moderately. This event was not lake effect. I think it was caused by moisture from the coastal storm rotating around the upper low over northern New York. This was enhanced at times by short waves rotating around the aforementioned upper low. The trajectory of the snow has been almost from the due north without any time over the lake. 

Agreed, as I mentioned this last night. It just didn't resemble a true LES event and it still doesn't, lol!

2 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I've been trying to understand the void in radar coverage from just about say Oswego West to Rochester it has been void of any returns since the event began

If it didn't radar...it didn't really happen. ;)

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Syracuse, Binghamton, Rochester all above normal snowfall in a really warm winter.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16700533_1252865634791599_8241646350547841556_o.png?oh=37750168091b8460b83e29714ffd431b&oe=593F8DF6https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s403x403/16640632_1252865658124930_212081951425715835_n.png?oh=09a94e3a33dff8978d065ab5b049a4d9&oe=5900AD6F

It's amazing that Syracuse is 10 inches above it's seasonal average at this point despite enduring the least snowiest January on record (8.4 inches). I think the consensus on this board is that this has been a disappointing winter. I think this is because whenever we start to build up a snowpack we have another warmup that wipes it out and we have to start over again. But with the extended model period showing numerous storms after the end of next week, there is a good chance of KSYR at least reaching it's seasonal average for snowfall (123.7). If you look at the snowfall graph the Post Standard publishes in every issue, this season is right at the same point the snowiest season on record was at. Of course that was the '92-'93 season that featured the greatest storm most of us have ever witnessed in March and one of the snowiest Aprils ever to bring the seasonal snowfall to 192.1. We probably are not going to come close to that but the there is the potential for some excitement before the first pitch is thrown out by the Chiefs in April. 

The GFS has nothing to offer over the next couple weeks except a gruesome cutter, and it looks like ridging sets back up on the Euro.

A few more nails in the coffin of winter 2016-17. Looking at the models, Buffalo will be hard pressed to get HALF of our normal annual snowfall, unless we get a couple junk quick-melters to bump the numbers up. Congrats to all the cities who had just a SLIGHTLY bad snowfall season. For Buffalo and much of the Niagara Frontier, this has easily been in the bottom 10 percent all time. 

9 minutes ago, WNash said:

The GFS has nothing to offer over the next couple weeks except a gruesome cutter, and it looks like ridging sets back up on the Euro.

A few more nails in the coffin of winter 2016-17. Looking at the models, Buffalo will be hard pressed to get HALF of our normal annual snowfall, unless we get a couple junk quick-melters to bump the numbers up. Congrats to all the cities who had just a SLIGHTLY bad snowfall season. For Buffalo and much of the Niagara Frontier, this has easily been in the bottom 10 percent all time. 

This weather is amazing, not even mad.

Archived