• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

8 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I don't even know what to call this event cuz it sure doesn't look like a lake effect event to me, unless what is directly to on North continues to drop zone and that becomes the band, who knows. Snowing very lightly just north and south of the Great Northern Mall

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Get out of my neighborhood.  No Streakers!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're rooting for Carol Yerdon to break her record, only a little over 100 inches to go. 

7 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I noticed that.  Good for the Tug.  They deserve the snow.  Haven't had much this season.

3 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

Hahaha, yeah horrible winter up on the Tug. 

Current AFD:

For the Rochester area, this particular NW flow direction will likely favor the higher amounts to focus near Brockport and Hilton west of the city from the Georgian Bay connection, and also from Irondequoit Bay and Webster eastward from the better Lake Ontario fetch with the city (especially south of 104) seeing the least.

For all of the complaining about how BUF provides only minimal, non-specific forecasts for Rochester, this is exactly the level of granularity that they provide for Buffalo events. Maybe there's a perception that BUF forecasts short Rochester totals and underplay warnings and advisories, but they're not broadbrushing Rochester by any means.

9 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

but our luck is just not there this year!

Are you actually below normal for the year at your specific location? Or by "luck not there" do you just mean you haven't been in a total jackpot zone that would put your totals in record territory? Because most of NYS is AN for this season to date, excepting Buffalo which HAS actually had awful luck.

6 minutes ago, WNash said:
Current AFD:

For all of the complaining about how BUF provides only minimal, non-specific forecasts for Rochester, this is exactly the level of granularity that they provide for Buffalo events. Maybe there's a perception that BUF forecasts short Rochester totals and underplay warnings and advisories, but they're not broadbrushing Rochester by any means.

I noticed that. I appreciate it too! It's almost like they're listening in....

Guess we'll know soon enough..

Farther east, lake effect snow has been slow to develop from Rochester to
western Oswego County so far, but should fill in quickly through the
midnight hour as moisture and cold air deepen over the eastern basin of Lake Ontario..

Greatest lake effect snow totals within the advisory
will likely be from Niagara County to around Hilton in Monroe County
(on a Georgian Bay connection), and then from NE Monroe County to western Oswego county..

50 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I just saw a plow truck fly down Route 370 in Liverpool and my question is what are they even doing out, dropping salt, wasting taxpayers dollars, to pay them time and a half to work nights?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I ask myself that question once in a while, There does seem to be excessive road salt thrown around at times...but I guarantee if they announced they were cutting back to something reasonable, the towns or state or county would have their asses sued by freeloaders looking for a payday.  No shortage of them around.  Plus the whining and butthurt about saving the children from certain death would be insufferable.

relax, we'll get our 2-3" of snow tonight. :)

Could someone be kind enough to explain why there often appears to be gaps in the snow coming off the lakes?  Not sure if I am phrasing this correctly but there often seem to be streams of precipitation that seem to come from nowhere:  for example the line of snow streaming over the Ithaca area that is not over Auburn currently.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Radar coverage. 

Lake snow is low to ground as radar looks farther away from site it over shoots precipitation. Happens rochester area on East to Fairhaven south into northern finger lakes as this area is in between radar in Buffalo a montague

Could be upslope and/or frictional effects also...not snowing at lower elevations near the lake but the extra upglide and increasing friction away from the lakes in hillier areas wrings out the moisture better.  We see this during higher wind events, which this is not, so not entirely sure.

7 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Bishop Grimes cancelled all afternoon activities and I guarantee they close tomorrow because they ride every word the NWS spews out.

Probably see a lot of 2 hr delays tomorrow. Cancellations more sparse in this area with narrow snowbands and 2-3" of snow in general. Phoenix, which is pretty stingy on snow days IMO, had a 2 hr delay Monday but threw in the towel by 0730 when the snow continued.  Probably a smart way to do it rather than cancelling based on forecasts. Especially any event that is lake snow related.

Kbgm 930 update 

The band of light to moderate snow in the twin tiers continues.
This has a Georgian Bay connection still and is moving east. It
covers areas from Ithaca to Carbondale including the triple
cities. Other lake effect is showing better organization over
Oneida County. This is moving south towards Syracuse. After
midnight these two areas will join over the advisory area and
continue through much of Thursday. Upped pops and clouds some.
Adjusted to current conditions.

51 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Probably see a lot of 2 hr delays tomorrow. Cancellations more sparse in this area with narrow snowbands and 2-3" of snow in general. Phoenix, which is pretty stingy on snow days IMO, had a 2 hr delay Monday but threw in the towel by 0730 when the snow continued.  Probably a smart way to do it rather than cancelling based on forecasts. Especially any event that is lake snow related.

Grimes will close tomorrow if there's over 3" guaranteed which is just nuts to me.  The only reason I know this is because they think I have a kid that goes there and every time they close I get a call.  I got one this afternoon when it was completely dry out, actually it was Sunny, lol, but whatever I guess.

Archived